#1 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:59 PM

this is a mod i did to one of the flattys i had many years ago and digging through my photos i ran across them so figured i would post them.

for this mod you will have to have the charcoal canister removed.

just to see our starting point this is how a stock air can is setup, it sucks it air from inside the fender.

Posted Image

a lot of people will  just cut a big hole in the stock can to allow more air flow....but there is a better way.
Posted Image

these are the things you will need to do this mod.
1. metal hole saw kit (or just a 3" metal hole saw)
2. some epoxy or other industrial glue
3. two 45 degree intake pieces
4. one 3" drain screen and one 2.5" drain hole cover

i got the drain screen and  cover at a local mom and pops store for $5.
Posted Image

everything needed, minus the large intake pipe, you need two smaller 45 degree pipes.
Posted Image
smaller 45 degree pipe
Posted Image

lets start by taking out the screws on the bottom of the air can that hold the bottom plate that the stock air filter sits on.
Posted Image

then take your 3" hole saw and cut a hole in the bottom of the air can, if you drill in the right spot you will still be able to put the scews for the air filter plate back in if needed.
Posted Image

then cut out the center of the drain screen, i put it in a vice and used a hole saw but you can use a jig saw or whatever.
Posted Image

take your 3" drain screen and put it through the hole you just made.
Posted Image

as you can see the hole you created is a straight shot right into the stock mass air sendor. i think i have heard that our mass air isnt setup for "direct" air flow, i have ran it this way and not had problems but you can just re-install the bottom plate and run a stock style k&n filter then its not directly clowing into the mass air.
Posted Image

what you have done is create a place so that a 3" intake pipe can be attached from the bottom of the air can. notice that the plug goes over the stock air intake that goes to the fender so its only sucking air from the new hole.
Posted Image
Posted Image

with the two 45 degree pipes you can route the pipes right out the hole in the bottom of the core support. this is why the charcoal canister has to be remove because this is where it sits. this puts your intake pipe outside the engine bay and right down by the smaller hole in the airdam so air coming in that hole shoots right at the intake pipe.
Posted Image
Posted Image

at this point you can just add a cone air filter at the end but keep in mind when it rains this would probably get pretty wet. thats why if you cut the 3" hole carefully you can reinstall the stock style air filter and just have nice fresh cool air being sent to it instead of sucking its air from inside the fender.
Posted Image

you can take and make the pipe to replace the rubber accordion intake boot. i know the stock ones are getting hard to find in good condition so this could be a alternate replace ment. you could paint the pipes flat black to retain more stock look or use nice polished aluminum to bling it up.
Posted Image
Posted Image
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

#2 TheDemon

TheDemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Wrenching, Gaming, cars

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:16 PM

nice write-up man, and i like how you made it so that you can revert to stock if you dont like this setup
- The Demon
89 Black Conquest TSI SHP 5-speed - Restoration
97 Red Talon ESi - RIP

#3 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,377 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:31 PM

Smart. Flex tube would be a good alternative.

Edited by Funky Phil, 06 November 2016 - 08:34 PM.

10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#4 Skippy

Skippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

I had done pretty much the same thing you did except I keep the stock filter holder and had the air coming in around it so it was still filtered there. I used the black duck tape, and some kind of aluminum piping that pivoted to a funnel I cut and shaped to fit around that small opening in the air damn.

Edited by Skippy, 09 November 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#5 cyberquest

cyberquest

Power Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

i had plans to run it up directly to the airdam opening like you mentioned but i ended up selling the car. i was just going to use a floor vent for a furnace.

something like this one.
Posted Image
2005 Acura RL SH-AWD
Posted Image
Professor Quest's S.O.S (save our starquest) Manuals: http://starquest.i-x...wforum.php?f=12
E.T. and Dyno Database: http://www.sqperformance.com/

#6 jaggerd

jaggerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

I know this is a bit late, but I'm curious if you noticed any hp gain with that kind of setup? How's the sound? I have a spare k&n air filter and tube that I got at http://4wheelonline.com .Bought them for my another car but I decided to remain stock for now.

Edited by jaggerd, 07 February 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#7 Skippy

Skippy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

I wouldn't expect much HP gain. With more air you need more fuel to really get anything, but if it can breath better when you are running rich it may help.

I did the same thing, well almost. I left the bottom plate in the can that the actual filter connected on and then just cut the hole in the bottom and ran piping down to the side opening of the air dam there and had a funnel type thing like the one shown above around it.

I then got to keep the K&N filter I had that went in the stock location.

#8 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:47 PM

One thing to think of to add more fresh air into the air can or filter area is to bolt a small computer fan to the fender port or the area you cut off on the stock can

My friend did it to his 04 WRX and we data logged before and after, his intake air temps dropped a few degrees. You just wire it up to a fused relay at IGN run position.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 13 February 2017 - 06:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users