Vacuum Advance Replacement Instructions

BuzzKill

Its a piece of cake. Should take less than 15 minutes to do:

1: Unclip the distributor pickup wire from the clip on the old vacuum advance

2: Disconnect vacuum line on the vacuum advance

3: Unscrew the 2 screws holding the vacuum advance to the distributor (they tend to fall and get lost easy - magnetic tipped screw driver recommended)

4: Unscrew and remove the distributor cap (leave spark plug wires attached)

5: Bend down the 2 triangle-shaped points securing the vacuum advance arm (wiggle the vacuum advance and you'll see where the arm hooks on)

6: Twist the vaccum advance clockwise (looking from the front of the car) and use a flat-head screw driver to get the arm off the notch.

7: Pull the vacuum advance out.

To put the new one in, just follow the above steps in reverse order. I was surprised by how easy it was to do.

hey I just replaced my vacuum adv and your direction were great. One question through I did not see any triangle-shaped points securing the vacuum advance arm. should there have been some? Is it missing ? I have a 87

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The most common symptom of a bad vacuum advance is a studder/miss while accelerating. Usually it's a single miss when you get on the gas, anywhere between 3500 and 5000 RPM.

It can be accompanied by a small puff of black smoke out the tailpipe (unburnt fuel), but not always. In some cases, a backfire may result (the unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust).

• 9 months later...
another symptom of a bad vacuum adv is that the car will not run over roughly 115 mph.  i thought it was my imagination the first time it toped out, and then i realized it was constant the next time i tried.  replacing the vacuum adv cured this problem easily. ;)

• 2 weeks later...