r150 transmission

lionbull

can we start these too? apparently they are the same strength as the r154 and can be had for 300 bucks. the gearing seems to be better than the r154 and is very close to an 80's BMW e30 325i gearing. The input shaft is slightly shorter than the r154's too.

r150 gearing:

1st: 3.830

2nd: 2.062

3rd: 1.436

4th: 1.000

5th: 0.838

Reverse: 4.220

R154 Gearing:

1st: 3.251

2nd: 1.955

3rd: 1.310

4th: 1.00

5th: 0.753

Reverse: 3.18

e30 getrag 260

1st 3.83:1

2nd 2.20:1

3rd 1.40:1

4th 1.00:1

5th 0.81:1

R 3.71:1

Edited by lionbull

all 5 of mine are from hitting 2nd to hard

i lost 2nd gear in this one, but drove home

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/IMG_7199.jpg

this one was hitting 2nd, and cracked the transmission shell from bellhousing to tailshaft, trans also locked up

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a381/skullzaflare/CIMG6541.jpg

Edited by Skullzaflare

from the same link

"How much power you can run through something is relative to the weight, it plays a huge factor. If you keep the mass around 1300kg total you can run a 700bhp engine behind these transmissions (though long term they will wear out). IF the weight of your car (say loaded with sluts on a Friday night) is much higher and you really give it full power then I say you will break it easy."

• Like 1

Yeah I saw that, I still think that the Rx7 Turbo II FC/FD 5 speed is stronger than the starion transmission. Besides, if you are serious about performance weight reduction is a given. I know my car is at least 100 lbs lighter than stock and I still have a few things to eliminate. Pretty sure you can break anything if you try hard enough. plus you can use the SQ flywheel/clutch with a Rx7 TOB. And, a higher O/D gear will yield savings in mileage and wear on the engine.

Besides I don't plan on making more than 400-425 hp.

Edited by Dred_85.5_TSI

fyi, a 300whp weekend drag car, puts more strain on a gearbox than a 550whp DD of the same weight and drivetrain.

2 and 3 have burst for me on 4 different gearboxes.

taller gears also dont mean better mpg/ less wear. Too tall will take an engine below its sweet spot and cause it to lug and pull boost at every bit of throttle input.

Yeah I saw that, I still think that the Rx7 Turbo II FC/FD 5 speed is stronger than the starion transmission. Besides, if you are serious about performance weight reduction is a given. I know my car is at least 100 lbs lighter than stock and I still have a few things to eliminate. Pretty sure you can break anything if you try hard enough. plus you can use the SQ flywheel/clutch with a Rx7 TOB. And, a higher O/D gear will yield savings in mileage and wear on the engine.

Besides I don't plan on making more than 400-425 hp.

the rotary guys are only able to run this power because the rx-7 is lighter than the starion and has no torque in comparison. I trust the r154 more because the 7m supra have been making 400+ forever and is about 300lbs heavier than us...not to mention they are holding behind 2j power.

Marlin crawler has already solved this.

who has solved the km 132/rx-7 tranny issues?

Edited by lionbull

So you are advocating buying a R154 and then turning around and having it rebuilt (or using it as a core on a MC R154)? A MCR154 is ~$1,600 plus ~$500 for the core..... The last link I posted had a MC thrust washer in the trans and it still let go. That and MC only does rebuilds on the R154. They don't offer a rebuild kit. Supra store does http://www.suprastore.com/ulrbukitfsh.html and that goes for $600- $700.

not advocating anything yet...

but if you are going to play you got to pay right?

same way you said about weight reduction right?

"Besides, if you are serious about performance weight reduction is a given"

is it not a given you spend money on a proper trans/rebuilt swap if you are serious about performance?

Edited by lionbull

True, and honestly I do agree with you about paying to play.The main reason I brought up the Rx7 trans is that it can be had for a decent price, bolts up with the right bellhousing, and, uses the SQ clutch. If we are looking for options there is no reason to ignore the RX7 on SQs that aren't running huge power, but, want a trans that is proven to hold power and shift properly at higher RPM (the biggest issue I've had with my 88 5-speed).

Paying to Play is the biggest reason that I'm still TBI. When I do go MPI I'll spend money and do it right.