so im doing a s13 rack n pinion swap using a s13 cross member just re drilled the mounting holes to fit a starion, welding on the starion motor mounts to it and using either s13/ s14 lca's that i will box in and re drill holes for the tension arms and sway bar. so now before i start the full swap i have a couple of question for people who have or now how to do the swap which are how do you connect the s13 rack to the starquest steering column i was just thinking of welding the end piece of a s13 column to the starquest one but idk if it will be the right length and the right angle can be made, what do you guys do for the power steering lines do they have to be ss lines or dose just normal rubber p/s line work and what ball joint fits the starquest knuckle a s13 or s14 or do you just have to re drill the hole. any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

There is quite a difference in the width of the s13 vs our cross member. Check your measurements. Even redrilling the mounting holes I don't know if the horns will fit, too wide. The 240 ball joint is a press in.

Unless i'm not understanding what you have done.

There is quite a difference in the width of the s13 vs our cross member. Check your measurements. Even redrilling the mounting holes I don't know if the horns will fit, too wide. The 240 ball joint is a press in.

yea i noticed that so what i am going to do now is still use a s13 cross member but use the complete starion motor mounts on each side with the stock bolt hole locations and yea i know its a press fit i was just wondering if either a s13/4 will fit the stock knuckle without drilling the hole out

I'm working on a 240 swap also. Here is my idea for cutting the starquest horns off of the cross member. I took square tubing and bolted it to the horns and welded it together. Then drilled out the spot welds. That should keep things in alignment.
  • Like 1

I'm working on a 240 swap also. Here is my idea for cutting the starquest horns off of the cross member. I took square tubing and bolted it to the horns and welded it together. Then drilled out the spot welds. That should keep things in alignment.

that is quite brilliant i will be doing that also

pics guys! this is worthless without pics. I'll be doing the swap again with the white car, but im going to do it the easy way imo which is just plasma cut the rack mounts out and weld them to the starion crossmember, Also plan on doing z32 front brakes and s14 spindles/coils aswell.
  • Like 1

i will be posting pics once i start the swap right now im just gathering parts and i have changed my attack plan im going to be using the starion crossmember which i will cut out and install 240sx rack mounts with a s14 rack and from there me and my friend will be modifying the starion lca's which will include extending, boxing them in and notching them and we will be modifying the stock knuckles for maximum steering angle and ackerman adjustment along with minimum bump steer cant wait to start this and btw people who have done the swap what did you do for the power steering lines did you just use normal p/s line or do you need a ss line for the pressure line and how did you connect the rack to the steering column thanks

i will be posting pics once i start the swap right now im just gathering parts and i have changed my attack plan im going to be using the starion crossmember which i will cut out and install 240sx rack mounts with a s14 rack and from there me and my friend will be modifying the starion lca's which will include extending, boxing them in and notching them and we will be modifying the stock knuckles for maximum steering angle and ackerman adjustment along with minimum bump steer cant wait to start this and btw people who have done the swap what did you do for the power steering lines did you just use normal p/s line or do you need a ss line for the pressure line and how did you connect the rack to the steering column thanks

I'm sure you are aware that the pivot points will not be the same. Depending on how much suspension travel you have you could get bump steer. I say could, because others have done it that way and had no issues.

Stock cross member with the jig. Everything was bolted in place before welding the jig together. After I made the jig I drilled out the spot welds. I don't have any pics of the 240 cross member yet. Slow going with rarely any garage space to work on except nice days, then I can take my landlords cars out of the garage and work.

I have 300z rotors and calipers. 240 Knuckles, hubs, control arms, sway bar. Doing short struts also using VW strut inserts. I'm still debating how I want to do the tension rods. Hopefully soon I will have some more pics to post.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o88/rf600/photobucket-7622-1359175333681.jpg

• 2 months later...
if you keep the stock starion spindle it doesn't change the placement of the wheel at all. Thats how i did my first car. On this car i used a 240 spindle assembly id say it moved the whole wheel inside about an inch or so.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear and was hoping it would move it in some. I'm planning on welding the starion motor mount humps to the 240 cross member and then use the entire 240 front end. I'm also planing on replacing most of the various arms and braces with aftermarket items. With the 240 struts mounted the way they are on the front spindles it free up an additional 1-2" to mount larger tires under the fenders. I can't stand that look that seems to popular now with the tires sticking out of the wheel well. Plus when you do hard sharp cornering then your tires will get gouged by the fenders.

Didn't you say that you also mounted the 240 rear suspension in the starion? Do you have pics? How did it work out? How did the tires end up there and did it free up more space for larger tires?

Also, I'm using all S13 stuff as it is easier to find than the S14 with 5-lug hubs and I can easily get S13 5-lug conversion hubs.

Thankx.

Edited by AustinTSI