Paint Body

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MTQuest

MTQuest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:WRC, SCCA, Circuit, 1/4, Motor builds, One off vehicles, Diesel tech, "Customs not bolt on"
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hey everyone! Finally jumping back on here after a long dormant time. Just wanted to start this and see what people have ran into when painting the quest. Such as small plastic pieces that are impossible to find, what to watch out for, etc. Success story's, and demise stories! I plan on painting my 89 this next spring. I know a painter for a Chevy Dealership, but we need to know what little pieces to source before removing parts, and what parts you just absolutely cant find any more. Unfortunatly some one has painted it before and did an exceptional job masking off, but it was masking, not removing after all. So of course the paint job was far from amazing.... -_-
MTQuest

#2 MTQuest

MTQuest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:WRC, SCCA, Circuit, 1/4, Motor builds, One off vehicles, Diesel tech, "Customs not bolt on"

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

Well was going to put a picture of mine...

Edited by MTQuest, 24 September 2018 - 09:39 AM.

MTQuest

#3 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

I had my car painted by a professional paint shop 2 year ago (can't believe it's been that long already).  I disassembled the car myself first and just took them a shell to shoot.  I took off and they painted separately the airdam, front bummper, rear bumper, the 2 side pieces of the rear wing, and the two vents in the B-pillar.  They took off the hood and doors at the shop.  My motor was also out at the time, so I had the engine bay degreased and shot at the same time.  They installed a color-matched plastic shield on the drivers engine bay frame rail under the steering box since that area is prone to leaking and destroying the paint.  I didn't even ask them - they just noticed and did it on their own. 9 out of 10 Quests I've seen have paint ruined there.

Most of the trim pieces ... like the grille, sidemarkers, window trims are just black.  I just painted them with a Dupicolor Trim & Bumper paint myself.  The only additional thing I sent out to have done was the long metal trim pieces along the side of the hatch.  I gave them to my powdercoater and them done in a semi-gloss black.

As far as what's hard to get and what's not - I think it's probably easier for you tell us what your missing.  I don't think any of the trim and moulding pieces are too difficult to get your hands on.

Hope that helps.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#4 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:08 AM

I don't think hes missing anything...It seems he is worried about breaking parts, and replacing them...

#5 MTQuest

MTQuest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

Ya, it is complete, well besides the front bumper clip and front lip that will be sourced soon. I'm more worried about breaking small trim piece clips. I know how the little plastic fasteners even on new cars break. The one piece I'm worried about because one of the fasteners on top is broke all ready and would like to find is the plastic trim on either side of the window (going vertical) It sticks up because somebody broke it, and it look super chinsy...
MTQuest

#6 MTQuest

MTQuest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

Good idea they had on the plastic shield though! I like it. :ph34r:
MTQuest

#7 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:42 PM

Ahh, I misunderstood when I read it.  

The only thing I really remember buying a bunch of was the white square-head plastic clips you're talking about.  I found a supplier on eBay.  I forget who it was, but I think I listed them in my restoration thread.  I also bought some zip ties with the loop built into them for use in the engine bay to hold wire looms.  I replaced all the hardware too, most of it was pretty rusty - esp the front bumper stuff and the fog light bezels.  Just take your time and clean it all up as you put it back together.  At the end of the day - that was all I really did.  Ripped it apart, labeled it, and then slowly put it back together.

Posted Image

#8 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,749 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:25 PM

Exactly what techboy said.  I did the same with mine almost 8 yrs ago except I had to drive it to work and shoot it at night on a weekend. Everything I could remove I did. And yes label everything. Even if you say to yourself,I know where this goes.... You wont...
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#9 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:22 AM

View Post87redcat, on 24 September 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

Exactly what techboy said.  I did the same with mine almost 8 yrs ago except I had to drive it to work and shoot it at night on a weekend. Everything I could remove I did. And yes label everything. Even if you say to yourself,I know where this goes.... You wont...

I totally agree with this.  Bag, tag, and label!!  There used be a time when I was younger I would do a project in an entire weekend, now with work and a family it takes me months to accomplish things - you never remember where those random bolts go.  Label, label, label.  Zip lock and sharpies are your friends.

Posted Image

#10 MTQuest

MTQuest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:43 AM

You all make it sound so easy, seems daunting but I'm sure like all projects once you dig in its not nearly as bad as expected. I hear you about having family and taking months to complete weekend projects. With my two kids running around and all we do for them i expect this disassembly to last for a few months <_<.     Thanks for the optimism though guys do appreciate it!  Sounds like small trim pieces around the windows, and faded plastics are not as big of a deal to find as i was expecting so thats awesome!
MTQuest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users