6 replies to this topic

#1 FieroGTFan

FieroGTFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Hey guys, recently got some time to work on the '89 Conquest, trying to replace the tie rod ends then finally get the suspension back under the car.

I was unable to get the nut to back off of the turnbuckle on the tie rod end, the nut was totally seized, trying to remove it I basically destroyed the turnbuckle. Long story short I am hoping someone has one of these parts that I could get in order to get this car back together.

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

View PostFieroGTFan, on 24 May 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

Hey guys, recently got some time to work on the '89 Conquest, trying to replace the tie rod ends then finally get the suspension back under the car.

I was unable to get the nut to back off of the turnbuckle on the tie rod end, the nut was totally seized, trying to remove it I basically destroyed the turnbuckle. Long story short I am hoping someone has one of these parts that I could get in order to get this car back together.
Heat does it good before loosening things up if rusted!  Sure someone will hook you up w new one.

#3 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:22 AM

Isnt one side left hand thread and the other right hand thread?
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#4 FieroGTFan

FieroGTFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Correct, so I followed the FSM and was able to get the left hand thread side off with ease. The other side not as easy. I had heated it multiple times, hit the top of it with a hammer, etc. The turnbuckle ended up basically rounding out where you would put your wrench to tighten or loosen the turnbuckle itself.

#5 FieroGTFan

FieroGTFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Correct, so I followed the FSM and was able to get the left hand thread side off with ease. The other side not as easy. I had heated it multiple times, hit the top of it with a hammer, etc. The turnbuckle ended up basically rounding out where you would put your wrench to tighten or loosen the turnbuckle itself.

#6 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:32 PM

I was able to order one through oriellys and the brand name was "rare parts".
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#7 FieroGTFan

FieroGTFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up Redcat. I was able to order the part new and it will be here sometime this week. I did some quick searching for it before you had told me but didn't know what to search for. I was able to just go on O'Reilly auto parts and just search under the car for it and it came up quick.

Thanks again!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users