Newer Mitsu 3.0?

About impossible. If you can't get a 2.6 to run I don't see how you could get a newer 3.0 installed and running. Nothing will bolt up, no wiring, no ECU, no fuel system connections, no exhaust. There's no motor swaps that fall in and are easy. There's only 4 that "bolt" in but all require you to be able to make parts

The earily 2.0 version, the G52B but I doubt you'd or anyone would ever do that.

There's the 2.3 4D55 diesel and I don't think you'll do that either.

There'a RWD wide 4G63 from a mid 80s truck that had an automatic and its very difficult to find.

There's the 92ish+ 4G64 mpi RWD engines from the trucks that bolts in and on either 4G6 engine you can put a DSM DOHC head on.

All those will require more time and money to install, mod and make parts to work and then wire and have ECUS for than you could rebuit the 2.6 you have about 5 times.

Yeh I mean if you have alot of money sitting around and are a professional fabricator and mechanic and you know how to wire megasquirt and have a Big Garage with a hoist... then maybe its do able. but why would you. the stock mitsu 3.0 have less tq and hp then the 2.6T does. and it weights more...

It's not impossible, but much easier to drop in a rebuilt 4g54. If you are doing it for fun, and want a challenge then consider it... if you just want a fast fun drivable car stick with the 4g54. When I get to the point where I feel that the throttle body injection is holding me back I will make the leap to a 4g64 DOHC setup... but until then I will stick with the 4g54.

Keith