1st generation BOV info.

SQF

1st gen valve "crushing".  

If you have a 1st gen valve assembly you may consider crushing it.  If you run higher boost levels then stock your valve may open too soon if you do not crush it.  Your idle may also have a lower HG than the valve does.  This may cause the valve to open while you are at idle.  It is best to have an aftermarked boost gauge hooked up so that you know what your actual idle setting is.  The stock boost gauge is just the ECU's best guess as to what your levels are.  It can sometimes be off by 2psi/hg or more.  

So how do I crush it you ask?  All you will need is a vac pump/tester, a vice and a towel or cloth.  

Remove your valve assembly from the T pipe.  Place the valve in a vice with the towel or cloth between the valve and the vice so that you don't scratch your valve up.  Next decide what level you want to crush your valve to.  My idle Hg is between 16 and 17 so I crushed my valve to 18.  With the valve in the vice hook up the vac pump/tester.  If you want to crush your valve to 18 then set the pump to 18.  You will see the valve open as the vac increases.  Now you want to close the vice "crushing" the valve until you see the valve seat itself again.  In effect you are "crushing" the top of the valve where the spring is located.  By crushing the spring you are increasing the ammount of presure needed to open the valve.  Therefore the valve will not open until your motor produces the desired level.  

Another common proceedure for modifying the 1st gen valve assembly is moving the vent and relocating it to the atmosphere.  With your valve off the T pipe you will see the valve and a small 1/8th" or so hole about a 1/4" away from the valve.  If you look at the side of the assembly you can see a raised portion which is the channel that vent runs through.  The vent runs from the base of the valve to the top and it is used to help the valve close properly.  The problem with some cars (mine was one) is that at idle and WOT(wide open throttle) the pressure going through that vent may open the valve.  My car seemed "laggy" when I first installed the 1st gen assembly.  At WOT I would get severe bucking and the motor would not accelerate at WOT.   To correct this problem I plugged the vent hole inside the valve and made a new vent.  I plugged the 1/8th" hole with a small machine screw.  I then used my Dremmel to cut of the head of the screw so that it was flush with the rest of the surface.  I then covered over the plug with a thin layer of J.B. Weld to ensure that the hole would not leak.  I then drilled out a new 1/8" hole on the outside of the valve in the channel the old vlave used.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
i would like to see those pics, because i drilled mine at the base on into that channel, do you think it would make a difference, because i didnt crush mine and my motor doesnt run rite, do you think i need to crush it?

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...