3000 GT Vr4 he he he he :)

SuperSteve57

so i was in town the other day herding the civics around when i came across a 3kGT Vr4, i say this should be fun. I have my friend with me and we hit the red light and my buddy leans out and says "Is that a real Vr4 or just a sticker?" he replies "Yeah homes." So my friend says "Ok lets run um." So we both start to rev up and the light turns and we hit it. Magically i get the jump and pull off. It was awesome =)! we hit the next light and he was like "Dang man wt.... is that!?" i yelled " ITS MY QUEST SON!" :lol: it was fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sounds like the 3000 had a failure to launch, not saying you wouldn't beat one honest though, but right off the line it should have been right there. Most guys won't drop the clutch at 4000 like you need to in a 3000GT to get a good launch, AWD transmissions in them are prone to let go if you do that often.

• 2 weeks later...

3000gt's are heavy as hell. and so pricey to build that odds are he was driving a 14+sec car, lol

Which would be a pretty sick 3000GT since they are generally capable of 13's stock (best stock run anyone knows of is 13.0 '96 Stealth TT).

My 3000GT SL (FWD, non-turbo stock) runs high 13's with about $2k in mods trapping 105mph. I don't see that being possible with my 'Quest. I love it, but I understand it's limitations.

Which would be a pretty sick 3000GT since they are generally capable of 13's stock (best stock run anyone knows of is 13.0 '96 Stealth TT).

My 3000GT SL (FWD, non-turbo stock) runs high 13's with about $2k in mods trapping 105mph. I don't see that being possible with my 'Quest. I love it, but I understand it's limitations.

seeing how my friend dumped over 25 grand in one and got rid of it because LS1's with a few bolt ons were destroying him.. you would too if half the car was carbon fiber, half the car was billet, forged, or titanium, and an S2000 with a bolt on turbo handed u your rear.

• 4 weeks later...

That car will not last long..

anything over 350 is pushing that driveline..

Weak links

The first weak link that has been found is in the 18 spline drive train. It is the 18 spline output shaft. People have been able to snap this shaft in two with just a few basic mods like MBC, gutted cats, and intake. Over time and repeated launches it will break. Either way you will need a new output shaft.

The second weakest link is for 5-speeds in general, the cast aluminum TC front housing. They will tend to break along the backside into two halves. The crack will originate at the bottom section near the Getrag cover. The spreading force between the TC gears during a hard launch is the cause of this failure. Shock loading due to your launch technique also plays a big roll in this. I have heard of even stock cars breaking their housing over time with repeated high RPM clutch dumps. This failure has been known to break a piece off of the bell housing also.

The third weak leak is also found in all 5-speeds. After the front housing is strengthened/reinforced the cast aluminum TC mid housing will begin to flex from shock loading and gear spreading forces. The resulting flex will lead to the mid housing cracking and trying to shoot out of the back of the front housing. While this failure does not usually result in bell housing damage, it almost always results in the TC gears striping their teeth. Keep in mind that if the amount of power your car is putting down requires you to eliminate the first two weak links, then you are probably not far from experiencing this kind of failure as well.

from: http://www.3si.org/forum/f121/everything-you-need-know-about-your-awd-drivetrain-324581/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sounds like the 3000 had a failure to launch, not saying you wouldn't beat one honest though, but right off the line it should have been right there. Most guys won't drop the clutch at 4000 like you need to in a 3000GT to get a good launch, AWD transmissions in them are prone to let go if you do that often.

K so it's the 6 speed trannys that are more known to blow up. A simple $200 tranny brace welded into the bell housing fixes this. The 5 speed trannys are more reliable and they trap higher speeds due to the insanely tall gears, but the transfer cases are what tend to crap out. Again a $150 tranny case brace fixes this. Or if you really have money you upgrade the housing to steel or billet now at days.

The weakest link in the VR4's drivetrain is the 1st gen 91-early 93 output shafts with the 18 spline, this is true. Those ***** rip out under hard launches. $600 300m output shaft fixes this... lol that one's not cheap.

And to the Rabbit there have been alot of new turbos that came out mostly for 3s that make 500hp still on td04 housings. DR750's are the s***. There have been alot of improvements for the 3s world....

I'm getting off my soap box now. sorry guys.

Edited by AshyBone