Blower motor box removal

NotStock88

Trying to remove the box that the blower motor screws in to. I have removed the obvious two 12mm bolts and the phillips head screw that is towards the stereo side. Now the box feels loose but for some reason it feels like its hung up on something and I cant get it to come out. I read that you need "magic skillz" to remove it so I am hoping someone can share their blessing with me..LOL.

Thanks!

Three fasteners that I remember... As you face the recirculate air intake/grill they are:

1: down and to the right (5 o'clock) from the grill, bolts to side of car.

2: 12 o'clock high. Right above the grill.

3: the SOB bolt: it's behind the black plastic box with the a/c evaporator core. You can't reach this without removing the a/c stuff first. You might be able to see it with a mirror... see the vacuum actuator (for fresh/recirculate air control) and the "duct" going to the evaporator box... look under the actuator and over the duct and you might see it.

Basic removal steps for the evap box:

1: drain a/c system of refrigerant.

2: remove turbo heat shields and the firewall mounted bracket that supports them for arm/wrench clearance. You might have to remove the downpipe/pre-cat too.

3: Just above the frame rail you'll see the a/c refrigerant hoses. Undo both of them. Have a rag ready to catch all the a/c compressor oil that'll continually dribble out.

4: unplug the vac hose next to those a/c hoses - it plugs into a copper pipe coming through the firewall grommet.

5: See the small nut on a stud poking through the firewall a couple inches above the a/c refrigerant hoses? Undo that nut.

6: Inside the car: remove the glove box door, the air duct attached to the bottom of the glove box support bar (one screw, then pull it towards outside of car if I remember correctly), then remove the metal bar itself. You'll find itty-bitty nuts on the outside end, and a couple screws in a triangular welded-on piece on the end next to the stereo. You'll have to bend the outside "ears" to clear the studs as you twist this thing free.

7: undo the big duct clamps on either side of the evaporator box.

8: unplug the various electrical connectors along the bottom of the box. Label them though. Some connectors can be mixed up.

9: Unplug the vac hoses that you can see.

10: Up in the insulation at the top are two beefy bolts holding the evap assembly to the dash. Undo those. The whole thing should wiggle free now. There will be more vac hoses & wires clipped to various things on the box so don't yank it out just yet... move it around and disconnect the last few things.

I don't know if you can undo the 2 big bolts & that engine-bay firewall mounted nut, plus the duct hose clamps, enough to wiggle the evaporator box out of the way of that SOB heater bolt. Worth a try though. The a/c refrigerant hoses are clamped to the frame rail in the engine bay; remove that clamp to get a little more wiggle room.

mike c.

strange the heater a/c chaptor shows the blower bolts wrong but the pic in heater section is right

the circle'd bolt is hiden and hard to see, a 1/4 12mm deep socket and 12" extention will get to it just fine ,i leave this bolt out when reinstalling and cut the locking leg off the rear of the bracket , you'l see what i mean once it's out

Shelby - in that first picture you put, it shows a huge accoordian hose from the blower motor to the heater unit, eliminating the A/C box. What year/model is that from cause if there was a factory non-A/C starquest I want to know cause I want my heater and blower, but have no need for the A/C box. is there a part number or page in the manual I should look at?

not sure there ever was one in the states that pic is from the heater section of the manual . so i guess some one did get a non a/c car but who knows who

only reason i post'd it was it shows the true location of that 3'd bolt,,the one in the a/c section does not

Three fasteners that I remember... As you face the recirculate air intake/grill they are:

1: down and to the right (5 o'clock) from the grill, bolts to side of car.

2: 12 o'clock high. Right above the grill.

3: the SOB bolt: it's behind the black plastic box with the a/c evaporator core. You can't reach this without removing the a/c stuff first. You might be able to see it with a mirror... see the vacuum actuator (for fresh/recirculate air control) and the "duct" going to the evaporator box... look under the actuator and over the duct and you might see it.

Basic removal steps for the evap box:

1: drain a/c system of refrigerant.

2: remove turbo heat shields and the firewall mounted bracket that supports them for arm/wrench clearance. You might have to remove the downpipe/pre-cat too.

3: Just above the frame rail you'll see the a/c refrigerant hoses. Undo both of them. Have a rag ready to catch all the a/c compressor oil that'll continually dribble out.

4: unplug the vac hose next to those a/c hoses - it plugs into a copper pipe coming through the firewall grommet.

5: See the small nut on a stud poking through the firewall a couple inches above the a/c refrigerant hoses? Undo that nut.

6: Inside the car: remove the glove box door, the air duct attached to the bottom of the glove box support bar (one screw, then pull it towards outside of car if I remember correctly), then remove the metal bar itself. You'll find itty-bitty nuts on the outside end, and a couple screws in a triangular welded-on piece on the end next to the stereo. You'll have to bend the outside "ears" to clear the studs as you twist this thing free.

7: undo the big duct clamps on either side of the evaporator box.

8: unplug the various electrical connectors along the bottom of the box. Label them though. Some connectors can be mixed up.

9: Unplug the vac hoses that you can see.

10: Up in the insulation at the top are two beefy bolts holding the evap assembly to the dash. Undo those. The whole thing should wiggle free now. There will be more vac hoses & wires clipped to various things on the box so don't yank it out just yet... move it around and disconnect the last few things.

I don't know if you can undo the 2 big bolts & that engine-bay firewall mounted nut, plus the duct hose clamps, enough to wiggle the evaporator box out of the way of that SOB heater bolt. Worth a try though. The a/c refrigerant hoses are clamped to the frame rail in the engine bay; remove that clamp to get a little more wiggle room.

mike c.

Thanks for the break down. I accidently broke the box trying to remove it:( I wish someone would have posted this in the FAQ before I started trying to tear everything apart. IMO I think this should be in the FAQ for future reference.

Edited by NotStock88