Search for The Black Pearl

OBSESSIVE_ENT.

Hey everybody,

Following in the footsteps of Serpentkilla and Mad Dax, I am bulding a 2jz swap. The process is quite odd ball from getting components before the engine to going with the single set up right off the bat(I was looking hard at a twin trubo set up but damn thats too muc money). Here is where I post my progress. Mind you I dont have any formal Mechanical training so If I can do it so can you.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me be the first to say good luck :)

it just so happens im in the same process, of a 2jz swap, in a black starquest

im also running a powerglide 2spd trans, twins to start with , and getting all the bugs workd out, then on to bigger power

as soon as i figure how to upload my websites again, ill make a page and link it to myself on here

if u need any parts, or any questions feel free to him me up

nasteboyii19943@Yahoo.com is email and aol and yahoo im

dan

Edited by nasteboyii

• 1 month later...

Well so far the engine and tranny are still on the do do list but I did drag from pile of parts something I knew would come in handy sooner or later. from fist cat to the back 3" mandrel bent pipe with a cherry bomb and a 4" tip at the end. It is welded as one piece and im going to put it in after class today. Im sure it will be crazy loud but I need the bigger diamiter (hell was looking for 5" truck pipe lol). I lost the bid on Ebay for the t51r turbo but at 620 (bid started at 400) they guy emails me and said "oh I forgot to mention the turbo is non BB". I wrote him back and said im out of the bid.

Now im on the hunt for four 4" long metal tubes and four 5" long bolts to drop the sway bar. Im also thinking of re-arangeing the rad and other stuff in front before getting the engine.

Any ideas on fitting a Supra style intercooler without hacking the bumper?? I had one idea of using two small intercoolers in the fog light openings and connecting them to a main intercooler in the middle, make sense? or nonsense?

update on the exhuast... the sound isnt as deafening as I thought it would be and I can feel a much smoother power gain (it still stumbles at heavy throttle but as I may have mentioned before I will suffer that until the engine swap)

• 1 month later...

Ok the car was down for a few days and after changing the secondary injector new life came back to my baby. Im still saving for the motor and 6sp. my next purchase is the radiator and two walbro 255 feul pumps. Serpent if your reading what size feul line to upgrade to?? and (may have asked already) can I keep the stock feul pump with out causing a "cross-mojolization"? lol

Ive also decided (again) to stay with the twin set up. most say its easier and I think the route I will take is bigger Garretts. My question is this... they are sequential like the G54's injectors but is it that the primary is smaller and spools faster then they both work or is it an either or type of thning?

Also I have some wirng issues (fuse box affecting the seat belts I have to push in on the box to get the blets to work).

Heres an interesting fact I thought Id share; turbochargers act like mufflers. So an open exhaust on a turbo charged vehicle wont be as loud as if there was no turbo. I imagine the bigger the turbo, the quieter the exhaust gets. This is actually a good thing because you really dont even need to have a muffler on the car, though I dont think a straight through cherry bomb is a bad idea, Dynamax makes some straight through mufflers as well. Also, you may want to consider a resonator. Some people may disagree with me, but I think the Dodge Neon SRT4s sound great stock. They are a 2.5L turbo, that comes stock with resonators and NO mufflers. A resonator is basically a section of the exhaust that goes to a larger diameter, and then back down to the regular diameter. Sound waves bounce around inside of it and the resulting exhaust sound is more blended together, and a little quieter.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok well It seems that everybody is selling the 2jz for a higher price once the race season started. And all are automatics. My question is this can an automatic handle a high boost application?? My second question is that "secondary shaft" that seems to be the point of breakage on our cars.. couldnt we just use a longer shaft from tranny straight to diff??

Lastly today I put in the music for i guess the second to last time. and two paychecks I will get the two walbro 255's and a radiator.

• 1 month later...

Well after 10 police stops and finaly a summons I had to take that exhaust off. I have an 89 with a stock system and I swapped that in. Im having extream issues with the feul I fall on my face as if the injectors or the pump is going I made a make shift test light for the glove box and I get a intake code (three flashes). Being that im swaping to a 2j I dont really want to sort it out. the next thing now on the list is a walbro 255 pump stil saving for the engine and tranny (complete swap is about 5K, engine 6spd ecu harness ect.)

I will keep you all posted

Ok the decision is made. My Black betty has dings and dents all over her body. some small rust on the rails under the car. and basically a 5 grand paint job. the white 89 auto that i got for my wife is ok body wise but ive already canibalized certain plugs and the stearing box. what the plan? use the 89 body for the 2jz swap. first I guess I have to get a clutch set up (going with the 6spd) and as stated before I have decided to go single turbo (seems like i flip flop every other month) today aside from looking for a knock box for my black 88 i will access the white car.

• 2 weeks later...

sup everybody, ever had one of those days where you got pushed along instead of under your own power? this weekend my love my mistress for 14 years died on me.. well not died but couldnt keep idle for more than a few mins. a wire by the temp wires once wiggled makes the isc wherrrrr. i unwrapped the factory tape and all the wires in the harness are brittle and broken. I can no longer trust the car to take it out on the street so in the yard it will stay.

i found a site that has a nice little pacakge that im staving for as wee speak

http://www.jdmenginescorp.com/engine_details/toyota_jdm-2jz-gte-twin-turbo-3.0l-toyota-aristo---supra-1993---1997-engine-5-speed-trans-swap

its a 5 speed tranny and I asked serpent if its a good deal. whish me luck

Vette,

How did you do your motor mounts? Did you use the factory Toyota engine side and engineer something on the frame side or?

He did solid mounts

thats great looking. i see serpent in the picture your right basically everything can go andddddddddddd looks like i can keep the throttle cable. and i think ill stick with the factory intake for money reasons. im still undecieded with on two bigger turbos or one big hairdryer (that lag how is it really?)

thats great looking. i see serpent in the picture your right basically everything can go andddddddddddd looks like i can keep the throttle cable. and i think ill stick with the factory intake for money reasons. im still undecieded with on two bigger turbos or one big hairdryer (that lag how is it really?)

I would just stick with the 2 stockers for now if your trying to save money, they butt loads of fun. I need to update that pic, i cleaned it up a bit.

ok today i start to tare out s*** from the white car. Serpent im keeping the coil and alt wires as you said but what about alll the fusible links (the five link box) and all that stuff?

vacume lines? and the canister behind the passenger headlight?

Edited by OBSESSIVE_ENT.

ok up to the abs canister.. my caveman thinking is to crip the two top lines and leave it like that but i see you guys remoeved it.

I haven't gotten to this step yet, however there are articles here on the forums that talk to eliminating the ABS.

I believe I am correct in saying... it is essentially tracing the two lines from the ABS canister back to the master cylinder or proportioning valve and then fabbing up (or buying a braided steel line sold on these forums)that goes that replaces all that long line and canister. Like doing a heater core bypass line only in the brake systsem.

thanks i was just thinking the same thing

oh yeh i have pics but the jpg is too big anybody knows how to shrink them??

Don't know what operating system etc. that you have on your computer.

On mine if I have the picture open, right click on it and I get options to do different things. One of those options is SEND.

I can follow that option to Email it and when I do that it asks if I want to keep my photos the same size or make them smaller. At that point I choose smaller (which is the default btw) and then email them to myself.

When my email arrives back to me the picture is smaller and VOILA!

Your other choice is to put your photos on a photo hosting site. There are many free ones out there. Then put the link in your post here to the the photo.

I use PHOTOBUCKET

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd268/Soup756/FIJI30Jun09004sm.jpg