Go Blue Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,906 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

View Postvbrad511, on 12 July 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

What program do you use?

Not even sure what cloning a hard drive is.  But we just had to do a factory reset on the home computer...would that have helped us?

#3 RonnieJ

RonnieJ

Gchat ronni3jay@gmail.com

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  • Interests:Turbos, Fixed Gears, and Raw Denim
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

I use super duper but im on Mac

http://www.shirt-poc...escription.html

#4 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

When you clone a hard drive you use a particular program to exactly copy the data on it. Suppose you were running out of room on your current drive and wanted a bigger one, but liked the stuff on yours....you'd install the program, hook the bigger drive to the computer, set the program to go, and it'd duplicate all of your data on the bigger drive. You then remove your small drive and put it away for safe keeping and run on your larger drive.

#5 button

button

Rest dummy with dial indicator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

What brand drives? Western Digital offers Acronis True Image for free. I normally use Norton Ghost (corporate) at work, everyday.
-Jay

#6 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Source is a WD, target is a Seagate.  Ever had Ghost let you down? I've got a copy of Norton Utilities 2003 that's got Ghost. I've used it a few times, but did have a glitch once and lost a bunch of data.

#7 button

button

Rest dummy with dial indicator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

I use 11.5.  I have not had any problems with it. I've never seen a "glitch". I've seen about every type of user error, but no faults in the program. I use this program at minimum once a day, usually 5-10 times a day. It looks like Seagate offers Diskwizard, but I have never used it so I cannot attest to its reliability/functionality. //edit: Diskwizard is Acronis.

Edited by button, 13 July 2013 - 03:29 PM.

-Jay

#8 Tman

Tman

SQC Bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts
  • Interests:starquests ,fishing , computers

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

acronis
http://www.26liter.u...r_and_sig_3.JPG

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick some tail and im Allllll outta bubble gum

You know what Ole jack burton says at a time like this

Dad's Starquest Parts: http://www.enginemac...m/conquest.html

(cokedr) Seriously...Teddy makes me wanna punch a baby.

#9 BIL

BIL

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

Just a thought... I bought a Canvio 1 TB drive (smaller than a pack of cigarettes) for $50 and used Macrium (free)to back up the whole drive. Now I can do anything I want..re-install, repair, get back deleted files or drivers and etc. Its fast and highly portable. It comes with the USB cable and needs no other power supply.I can do a full back up or use any portion of the files I want. Lost that serial number or etc..it's still on the Canvio.  Acronis is very good..I used to use it but Macrium suits my needs and was free with free updates.
'89 TSi, MS-1 v3.0, Magna intake with 65mm, 750 cc inj, Fidanza, ACT2600, Turbonetics 60-1, log header by Chad, Tial 38 mm, cam and rollers, 3" turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow, Walbro, KDM hard pipes, KDM aluminum radiator, KDM 4" intercooler, Aeromotive FPR, Stedabani short shifter and urethane bushings, Accel coil pack, FIP distributorless pulley kit, ABS removal, BSE.

#10 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Interests:"Keep the turbo spooled!"

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

hmmm.... you guys sound like you are coppying drives or backing up, not truly "cloning" a hard drive...

Cloning a hard drive to me = the drive will then have the same physical structure as well as it's hardware key, and be rehardware locked.    If your just moving files your not really "cloning a drive"

#11 BIL

BIL

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

You are correct, but how many of us need a real clone? Very few. I can get anything I need including having a complete working replacement in minutes. It has all my settings, drivers, and all my keys. All of my apps work without modification. I used this because I had a particularly bad collection of viruses when my son used my computer for a month. Knowing it was going to be impossible for me alone to recover it all I had MS spend a total of over 24 bench hours (over several days) at level 3 support getting rid of all the problems. After that I came up with my recovery plan. It has worked extremely well. I see no need to spend all the time and effort doing doing an exact clone which would lock me into a specific hardware profile. Again this is just for my needs, not necessarily for everyone. I no longer work from a remote workstation. With USB sticks and portable drives I can carry data from home to either of my jobs without having to change anything on any of the machines. BTW my annual MS subscription was only $139 and they let me keep access to all the apps they used on the clean up (many were not MS apps). The long file name, non ascii, and infinite repetitive directory entry tools were very cool.
'89 TSi, MS-1 v3.0, Magna intake with 65mm, 750 cc inj, Fidanza, ACT2600, Turbonetics 60-1, log header by Chad, Tial 38 mm, cam and rollers, 3" turbo back exhaust, Magnaflow, Walbro, KDM hard pipes, KDM aluminum radiator, KDM 4" intercooler, Aeromotive FPR, Stedabani short shifter and urethane bushings, Accel coil pack, FIP distributorless pulley kit, ABS removal, BSE.

#12 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,052 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Norton Ghost is what I use at work. We use it for complete hard drive failures in our CNC windows based systems. Hard drive suffers a catastrophic failure, grab a clean drive and write the image to it. Plug it in and it's just like nothing ever happened
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#13 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,164 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

cloning may not be what you  want to use I have done it a few times and the new drive was set up to the same specs as the old drive , like I tried to clone an 80 gig to a 250 gig , it worked fine but the
new drive was now an 80 gig ,I lost  all the extra space

copy or move  all files  to the new hard drv seems to work better

oh I have never been able to get a WD hd to work with a sea gate drv  , lucky I guess
Shelby trance's StarQuest i-x.net
86MightyMax89Tsi, MPi , 20g ;) (sold:( )
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#14 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

I ended up using Easus's free program. It's worked well for me several times for several tasks.

#15 hippynerd

hippynerd

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Dd_(Unix)
1983 Rising Sun Mitsubishi Starion Turbo JVEK,BSEK
1986 Starion ESI-R (wide) JVEK,BSEK,clutch fan, mech head, Lo-buck FCD FORSALE

#16 BIL

BIL

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

I see Macrium is no longer free. It was when I got it and I still get free updates. It can clone and is a very flexible program if you are running windows.
https://en.wikipedia...loning_software
https://en.wikipedia...loning_software

But like I said not many of us really need to clone or even care to keep the same hardware configuation. If I'm going to the effort to re-create a system I usually try to upgrade at the same time. Many time an OEM serial can be re-used if the hardware is similar like using the same chipset and etc. I have both OEM and retail OSes and seldom have any serious problems.

#17 ghinckley68

ghinckley68

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:any thing electronic

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:50 AM

clonezilla  ITS OPENSOURCE AND  it works
Glen
85 Conquest flaty Burgundy(KIA flipped end over end 5 times)RIP

89 TSi
Some shade of black

Parts cars
87 sliver starion
87 black conquest

#18 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

I use Acronis and it kicks a55. Does everything you need inclucidng dynamic resizing, so you don't have wasted empty partition space on the new bigger drive. It costs a couple bucks, but works everytime and besides cloning, it also can image your drive. Save an image to a file every month, and you can reload your machine in case anything bad happens or clone the machine to as many other drives as you want to. Never reload your OS manually again! If all you need to do is resize or set up partitions, even on a finished drive, I use G-Parted, Linux partitioning program that can make any type of partition.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#19 Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Cars, computers, other expensive things

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostFuze, on 16 September 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

I use Acronis and it kicks a55. Does everything you need inclucidng dynamic resizing, so you don't have wasted empty partition space on the new bigger drive. It costs a couple bucks, but works everytime and besides cloning, it also can image your drive. Save an image to a file every month, and you can reload your machine in case anything bad happens or clone the machine to as many other drives as you want to. Never reload your OS manually again! If all you need to do is resize or set up partitions, even on a finished drive, I use G-Parted, Linux partitioning program that can make any type of partition.

Acronis free from WD is one of the best things ever.  Have used it countless times over dozens of drives with no hassle.
88 Conquest TSi - missing motor mod
95 3000GT SL - TT conversion, lots of extra mods, 13.8 @ 105 10psi
03 Focus SVT - Daily driver, STOCK (must...not....supercharge!)

#20 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostJeremy_C, on 17 September 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

Acronis free from WD is one of the best things ever.  Have used it countless times over dozens of drives with no hassle.

Yep, some OEM's bundle it with their products. I use a network storage drive and save my images there, Acronis can grab them off the NAS so no more buring DVD's or wrangling external HD's for images.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users