Calling all Xbox 360 overheat victims...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Interests:"Keep the turbo spooled!"
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

View Poststrang3majik, on 14 February 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

I guess we'll see what happens with the 720.

And mine has been fine since I made this post.  I actually figured out why the xbox overheated.....my super awesome fans that go on the back (lol)....died :( So they weren't spinning and created even more of a blockage than there already was.

I'd like to find another set.  Those things moved hot air out.

You would be better off to buy one of those small desk fans and point it in the in vent of the Xbox (depending on model you have)  Don't do it for slims and be cautious to which revision if older Xbox you have, one sucks in with fans, one blows out wiht fan, and I think there is one with a fan each way IIRC, or I got someone who reversed one.  Really for the $100 they want for them now, there just use and throwaway it's not even worth my time messing with one anymore.

Take her apart.... have a look inside, maybe you will see a good sport to install a PC fan..   If you really want to and want to keep her cool, you could cut 2 holes in your case and install fans.  Might even decide to install in your own case..... Remember it's all about air flow with case cooling.  You want a smoth even air flow.

Edited by jszucs, 14 February 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#42 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

View Poststrang3majik, on 24 January 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

I'm just getting numbers together, but, they have me ticked off enough that I'm actually seeing about getting an attorney about this.

My power supply actually got hot enough sitting on the corner of an open table that it burnt the table.  In all honesty they're lucky nothing has caught on fire.  And they told me that it sounds like its faulty and that I need to buy a new one.  Even after I have near $2000 invested between the system, Xbox Live, and games.

But I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people have experienced any type of Xbox 360 overheat.  Whether it be the console or power supply.  Red ring of death or just a 2 light red ring.

A shame they don't just recall them all like any car company would have to, but I guess that's the good part about being the untouchable giant.

Anyway...anyone who has had this issue...comment below please.
you can not consider xbox live as an "investment"
thats like trying to sell a 300 dollar car for $4000 because thats how much gas you "invested" since you owned it

View Postjszucs, on 24 January 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

Do you guys realize how much computing / grafix power is crammed into that small box, for as cheep as possible?

You do realize your only choice for grafix like that before 360 and PS3 was PC gaming which has a MUCH steaper price tag of like $400 for just the video card, let alone a balzy PC to support it.  And now your up to 3 or 4 of those 400 video cards for a modern gaming rig.  And they burnt up, had to be rebuilt, had random power failures ECT

For the money the Xbox 360 and PS3 are amazing buys for the money.

And again if you have a NON SLIM 360 and you don't build your own proper case for it, or at a minimum run a small external fan just blasting into the inlet and slightly over the power supply..... IT WILL BURN UP.  Best I did was about 3.5 years (for someone who serious plays like 6-8 hours at a time I'd call that good.  When I PC games I was replacing something about every 6 months.  Just look at the power requirements of a video card, and you will realize where all that heat is comming from.  Some video cards require like 200W alone.
do you even know anything about PC and gaming?
ill assume not
you do realize consoles hardware is waaay below that of a PC, allowing it to be made far below the cost of a pc.
that and the reason PC requires such awesome hardware, have you ever noticed that every xbox has the same cpu/ram/motherboard/gpu/OS setup? and every ps3 the same? guess what? PC are not, so the designers have to make it work with millions of different hardware combinations, where as consoles only have 1-3 depending what consoles it comes out for.

so much extra work, along with higher possibility of piracy is the reason there isnt much released for pc nowadays

btw, if i remember right, both manufacturs only have about 60-80 dollars in parts in each unit
Spark plug elimination kit

#43 strang3majik

strang3majik

Strang3milk Returns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,010 posts
  • Interests:Life, the universe, and everything.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

^^^^Except the fact that Microsoft gets every dollar.  Therefore not the same.  They get $50 at least a year from every xbox live user...free money...way above the cost to fix the affected systems.

If I drove an Exxon Mobil Grand Cherokee, you would have a valid point.

#44 jszucs

jszucs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts
  • Interests:"Keep the turbo spooled!"

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostSkullzaflare, on 24 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

you can not consider xbox live as an "investment"
thats like trying to sell a 300 dollar car for $4000 because thats how much gas you "invested" since you owned it

do you even know anything about PC and gaming?
ill assume not
you do realize consoles hardware is waaay below that of a PC, allowing it to be made far below the cost of a pc.
that and the reason PC requires such awesome hardware, have you ever noticed that every xbox has the same cpu/ram/motherboard/gpu/OS setup? and every ps3 the same? guess what? PC are not, so the designers have to make it work with millions of different hardware combinations, where as consoles only have 1-3 depending what consoles it comes out for.

so much extra work, along with higher possibility of piracy is the reason there isnt much released for pc nowadays

btw, if i remember right, both manufacturs only have about 60-80 dollars in parts in each unit

Wow you must not know anything.  Every Xbox and PS3 does not have the same ram, mother board.  I know of 4 revisions for Xbox that I have seen with my own eyes, and 2 for the ps3 but I'm sure there are more between the 1st gen 2nd gen (I have seen the diffrences in) and the Slims.   Your telling me a cell processor is below what is run in a PC?  THEY RUN THEM IN SUPER COMPUTERS not PC's.   When the PS3 came out (even after about 2 years) You coudn't touch a comprable cell processor for under 1100-800 range  even right now a cell processor will cost you $500..... just the processor, not even the related to run it.  The reason it's cheaper is they buy in HUGE quanties with dedicated shops just rolling out the same thing.  Your CPU (cept it's base 32 64 128) is really the only thing affecting a PC's setup.  They are all the same, they all run on BINARY, and all function the same (you can write compialer code for each and they will all execute the low level comands the same)

Your claim of piracy risk is just STUPID...... Console is way more pirated, even the PS3 has been fully pirated (the hold back was the need for a cell processor to have the mathmatical HP to properly emulate)   The reason PC is less pirated is because they have used straming services like steam for games where as console is just now moving towards that.  You do also realize modern consoles are PC's right.   You can strip off all the stock stuff and load your own opp systems on them (heck the PS3 touted this at the very beginning).... but why?

The makers do try to design to the lowest common denominaotr (this also excludes them from allowing upgradeablity a major consoul downfall)  This also causes your programers to not be able to max out what the sytem can do but design to the lowest varient of the system is.

You sound to be the one who know's nothing of PC gaming / PC's in general.  Might want to consider removing computers from you interests even :ph34r:

And I do agree... Xbox live cannot be considered an investment.  Just the power required for the amount of servers needed is a major expence.  Let alone all your infastruction people, your programers, your database people, your trunk lines <--- major expence right there.  All eat away at that Xbox live fee.  It's hardly pure profit.  Run your own server our of your house and see for yourself just what you rack up in electricty, internet connection, and how much time you spend maintaining the box alone.  Now add there sick amount of users and try it.

Edited by jszucs, 26 February 2013 - 10:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users