#1 NH88TSI

NH88TSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Hey guys,
So im the the middle of an auto to manual swap on my 89 SHP. I have a 87 parts car that I hit a deer with and was totaled. I have already swapped in the clutch pedal assembly and brake pedal. (not the bracket just the pedal)

I noticed the accelerator pedal is very close to the brake pedal. Do I have to swap the accelerator pedal from the 5speed car? My parts car is 45 minutes away so i cant look at it to compare. I read on here someone said something about bashing the trans tunnel so the accelerator pedal didnt rub?

Any insight would be great!

Thanks in advance

Edited by NH88TSI, 05 December 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#2 cheesey

cheesey

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

I had same issue. What I did was cut the brake pedal off of it's arm and moved it over to the left and welded back on. My big clown feet were getting tangled up.

#3 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:26 PM

I used the stock accelerator pedal from the auto car, the brake and clutch pedals from the stick car. They're close together, that all there is to it. Auto cars have a larger transmission tunnel, so things are more cramped. I just got used to it.

#4 NH88TSI

NH88TSI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

That makes sense. I was curious if the trans tunnel was bigger or not. Seems like a lot of work on their part to put an auto trans in these things.

#5 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,389 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:55 PM

Not really. Most cars use the knock-down kit method. That means they use different pieces and weld them into certain cars during production like firewall's and floor panels.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KYB's, ST springs, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#6 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,111 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

I've done 2 swaps, one I bent the pedal over while it was in a vice, the other I swapped pedals.  It's users choice.

#7 bha280

bha280

runs with scissors

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, junk, and things
  • Model:Starion

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

I drove a manual swapped car and liked the pedals close together. Made for easy throttle blips on the downshift. But, I usually drive barefoot because I always wear flip-flops and it was definitely a bit more difficult with shoes on. Not sure what the PO did to get the pedals lined up though, so not much help there. Sorry.

Edited by bha280, 10 December 2017 - 06:10 PM.

1988 Starion 5-speed- AMC head, Schnieder HD springs and 292 cam, Wiseco's, Pauter Rods, adjustable cam gear, ported Evo III 16G, 3" turbo back, lightened/balanced flywheel, polished/balanced crank, SS braided oil and coolant lines for turbo, full hard pipes w/ TurboXS BOV and MBC, Trilogy injectors, MSD blaster 2 coil, 8.5mm wires, stress relieved and ported exhaust manifold, ported intake manifold, LSP 52mm TB, ARP everything, EGR, A/C, and cruise removed, silicon vacuum lines, STB's front and rear, ABS delete, 3" GM MAF-T Gen II, D/S rotors, SS brake lines, Innovate wideband, adjustable FPR, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, AutoMeter boost gauge, GM alternator, SS clutch line, meshies, factory hatch spoiler, mud flaps, Mookeh rear struts and adjustable front inserts, Cosmo dual-spring Coilovers, Mookeh pillow ball camber plates F/R, rebuilt trans, short throw, MSD 6a, poly bushings.

Soon to be in a flatty!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users