4 replies to this topic

#1 Mighty_Mitsu

Mighty_Mitsu

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:32 AM

Hey all,

Working on putting a Starquest distributor into my 4G54 swapped Mighty Max. You guys helped me before with realizing the 3rd wire in the Starquest dizzy is actually a shield wire. Now I'm running into an issue where I've cut the wiring out and terminated it to ring terminals like my Mighty Max is wired, but it won't spark...

Primary things, I'm obviously swapping to the Starquest dizzy to get appropriate spark advance and boost retard. Right now I'm running 4deg BTDC base timing with the NA Mighty Max dizzy and the thing gets like 13mpg on the highway cruising at ~0psi MAP... oof. But I don't want to set my base timing any more advanced without the ability for boost retard. It's non-intercooled right now, but I am running 93 in the thing, so maybe I'm being too conservative.

I swapped to the Starion coil, I still have the ballast resistor wired the same way it was with the Mighty Max coil. Does the Starquest need a ballast resistor with the coil?

Is there a way to swap the Starquest mechanical and vacuum advance and boost retard onto a Mighty Max dizzy?

I hear the Starquest dizzy might not have the very important ignitor part of the dizzy, and that it does that elsewhere. I am not running a Starquest harness for this setup, is it possible to swap the Mighty Max ignitor into the Starquest dizzy?

Thanks in advance all.

Edited by Mighty_Mitsu, 20 March 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#2 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:52 PM

I'm not at all familiar with a non-optical mighty max dizzy but I can comment on the Starquest ignition system.  It consists of the coil, distributor and knock box (ignitor), you need all three to make it work.  The dizzy only contains the ignition signal pickup, centrifugal advance and vacuum advance/boost retard, the ignition signal is a VR (alternating voltage signal) that is read by the knock box which uses that to fire the coil.  The advance mechanisms alter timing by moving the VR signal in relation to crankshaft position.  It's pretty simple but again you need all of those parts and only those parts.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#3 Mighty_Mitsu

Mighty_Mitsu

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:59 PM

View Postscott87star, on 20 March 2019 - 12:52 PM, said:

I'm not at all familiar with a non-optical mighty max dizzy but I can comment on the Starquest ignition system.  It consists of the coil, distributor and knock box (ignitor), you need all three to make it work.  The dizzy only contains the ignition signal pickup, centrifugal advance and vacuum advance/boost retard, the ignition signal is a VR (alternating voltage signal) that is read by the knock box which uses that to fire the coil.  The advance mechanisms alter timing by moving the VR signal in relation to crankshaft position.  It's pretty simple but again you need all of those parts and only those parts.

Oof... That is not how I understood the replies to my last post. Bummer. So the correct methodology would involve adding the stock "knock box" and knock sensor to the truck and getting rid of the ballast resistor? No other way to have it act like a normal distributor?

Also, you seem pretty well versed in my digging around the forum. Is a 10deg BTDC base timing ok with the NA dizzy running like 12lbs of boost non-intercooled on stock internals and 93oct? All of the timing maps I'm seeing people post in the MPI forum are at LEAST 10deg BTDC at high load. My understanding is that with an NA dizzy I'd just be saying anything above atmospheric pressure is set to my base timing, is there a problem (knock related problem that is) with that on these motors?

#4 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:29 PM

First paragraph, correct.

Second paragraph, not sure I'm reading it correctly, are you discounting centrifugal advance?  Anything above atmospheric pressure would be the base timing plus whatever the weights are dialing up based on rpm.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#5 Mighty_Mitsu

Mighty_Mitsu

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

View Postscott87star, on 20 March 2019 - 08:29 PM, said:

First paragraph, correct.

Second paragraph, not sure I'm reading it correctly, are you discounting centrifugal advance?  Anything above atmospheric pressure would be the base timing plus whatever the weights are dialing up based on rpm.

Ah, yes, centrifugal advance... That pesky b@stard.

Edited by Mighty_Mitsu, 22 March 2019 - 06:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users