Unmountable_boot_volume

JAinsworth

Jimmy,

This is what happened to the laptop I was using for my car...The 2 local computer shops both said hard drive faliure...Don't know if this helps any...I havn't replaced it yet...So I'm not sure.

Jimmy,

I had the same problem on my dell laptop. It is basically an error in the boot section of your hard drive. It does not necessiraly mean that you have a failed hard drive, but it could simply be a corrupted boot sector, and I simply reinstalled another copy of XP and it revived the computer, and it also saved the old files on the hard drive so I could access them and bring them to the new OS copy. The applications you had have to be reinstalled but files like pictures and music etc etc can be accessed, atleast in my case thats what happened.

Drop in XP CD and start the computer.

If you can find the install disk, pop it in. Let it run through and select Repair. It'll throw you into DOS. type chkdsk /p and let it scan and repair what it can. Mine recently did it and I can only read the HD as a slave and unmounted.

If not Jimmy bring it to PF, I know there will be a load of "IT guys" there :-)

haha I was going to say, if its not fixed by then I can try to fix it ( I have both XP Pro and Home, Vista, and the Ultimate Boot CD, as wella s other IT related boot discs... freebies from my old job )

haha I was going to say, if its not fixed by then I can try to fix it ( I have both XP Pro and Home, Vista, and the Ultimate Boot CD, as wella s other IT related boot discs... freebies from my old job )

If you don't get it, I will be sure to bring my IT head with me. (however much I am trying to escape the job that weekend :-p)

Sometimes doing a repair can react the error again. You will need a New Install.

The only way to ensure that the problem will be fixed. i currrently in my last year in school for computers and have fixed computers to pay for school and the starions LOL.

If your still having issue's send me a PM i can reinstall your your current XP OS with a new license and updated Anti Viurs for life.