Rattling Noise at 2000 RPM...FIXED

mechengrkj

Just finished rebuilding the engine and have been breaking it in (only about 20 miles so far), and I noticed that at 2000 rpm there is a weird noise coming from the rear of the engine under the valve cover at 2K rpm. It sounds like one of the rocker arms is hitting the sheet metal portion of the rear part inside the valve cover. I took the valve cover off and retorqued all the bolts (head and rocker arms) and adjusted the valves but still makes the noise. I also inspected the inside of the valve cover and can't see any place it would be hitting. The video below is what it sounds like. Anyways, My question is this: what purpose does that sheet metal portion serve? Can I just remove it? If not, what suggestions do you have about how I can fix this noise?

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w561/mechengrkj/th_0C5F4DFE-4CDB-4EED-B307-B59C3553B385-630-0000006546E95E3F_zpsfbcfe328.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I need to provide a little more background info...

I rebuilt the engine because I found metal flakes in the oil and discovered that the main and rod bearings were both hashed because the PO starved it of oil. My dad knows a guy who does a really good job with block work (who lives 400 miles away) who planed the deck, head and honed the cylinders. When inspecting the engine he found that the crank was pitted so we bought a new one and he machined it into spec. My dad then brought the engine up to me and we assembled it. We didn't check the tolerances because we have no way to check the tolerances and am working out of a garage that's really just a storage unit barely large enough to fit my car into.

That being said, I need to specify a little better what the problem is. The knocking sounds ONLY happens at 2K rpm. The rest of the RPM range sounds fine. Could it still be rod knock? All the rest of the vitals seem fine. Oil pressure is at 90psi on my aftermarket gauge. AFR's are a little on the rich side but still fine.

Now, with all this new info that I should have stated before, any suggestions?

new cranks dont get "machined to spec"

to me, that says he turned it down 10/20/30 and you most likely installed std bearings

also depending on this oil starvation, its possible the rods may have been heated at the journals egging them.

what is your hot idle oil pressure?

i had a rod knock on a past motor, fresh rebuild went out at 1200 miles. machine shop egged my crank

Plastigage needs no tools. Did you clean out the oil cooler and lines , that old metal trash from the failure will get washed thru your new bearings if you didn't, whats your oil pressure reading hot at idle? Still have balance shafts? Knock only after warming up? or all the time? louder when cold or hot?

Dad

Edited by Dad

I failed to mention before that the PO had wiped the cam lobes by not seating the camshaft correctly and by starving it of oil, then taking sandpaper to the journals to "clean" them up. The machine shop rounded them out a little to clean them up but not a lot because you could still see the slight grooves from previous damage. Is it possible that the noise is coming from the cam having too much play in it causing this noise only at 2000 RPM?

I failed to mention before that the PO had wiped the cam lobes by not seating the camshaft correctly and by starving it of oil, then taking sandpaper to the journals to "clean" them up. The machine shop rounded them out a little to clean them up but not a lot because you could still see the slight grooves from previous damage. Is it possible that the noise is coming from the cam having too much play in it causing this noise only at 2000 RPM?

sounds like you need a new head

but no, a cam will not cause a rod knock noise

Did you get a "build sheet" denoting the engine clearances and "machined to" specs, from the guy that did the machine work?

You said in reply #9 that the block was decked. How much did he deck it - the max is 0.008" ? That could be the cause of the noise if to much was decked off of the block.

You also said that he "surfaced" the head. How much did he machine off of it? Did he exceed the head height limit of 3.535" ?I suggest that you read FSM Pages 9-42 and 9-67.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Did you get a "build sheet" denoting the engine clearances and "machined to" specs, from the guy that did the machine work?

You said in reply #9 that the block was decked. How much did he deck it - the max is 0.008" ? That could be the cause of the noise if to much was decked off of the block.

You also said that he "surfaced" the head. How much did he machine off of it? Did he exceed the head height limit of 3.535" ?I suggest that you read FSM Pages 9-42 and 9-67.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

No he didn't give me anything like that. Unfortunately the block had work done on it previously with no info to be found so it's possible that he took more off the deck than he should have without even knowing. I'll talk to him though and find out. Thanks for the tip!

Edited by kylejones