speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Yes sir. I will be making an exducer vent that will meet flush with the top of the intercooler.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#22 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

I am not making a lot of headway today dam gnats
Posted Image

#23 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Get some bug spray on and get to work dude!

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#24 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

Mostly done now until I get some drill bits tomarrow for front bumper got my shortblock out of my basement and in the garage it was interesting taking my engine stand and cherry picker in the basement so i could move it cause I had to do it by myself.  Luckly my house is built into a hil with a walk in basement lol.  Got the crank out and will have it mic'ed tomarrow to see what bearings i need and maybe polish it at the shop.  I will see what my buddy says and the tractor shop lol.  I am not used to the shortblock cause it literally is sooooo clean.  2500 miles on it since a shop rebuild lol.
Posted Image

#25 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Made some good progress so far today. Derek and I made several trips to the hardware store to pick up steel metal, grinding wheels, cutting wheels, and heavy duty simple green. I busted out the welder and got both the gussetting and brace in. That means I can fully commit to prepping the engine bay for paint.

The goal is to paint the engine bay tomorrow night and the body Friday. Lots yo do till then though.

Here's a picture of the front end bracing and gussets.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#26 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

nice
Posted Image

#27 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Woke up this morning and got the rest of the stuff out of the engine bay and cut off the rest of the tabs. Now its time to clean this puppy up and get it ready for paint. If anyone has tips or tricks for getting all the nooks and crannies clean please let me know.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Dred_85.5_TSI

Dred_85.5_TSI

Flatty Love

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • Interests:I have an announcement to make, "Turbo........ That is all".

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

^ No tricks, just persistence and brake cleaner :D  Nice progress!
Posted Image   1984 Starion ES: Currently running 15psi, Stock block (ARP main and head studs rod bolts, Clevite bearings) BSEK, M28 NJV head with mechanical valve train gasket matched on intake and exhaust, Treadstone exhaust manifold and Holset HX35w with BEP turbine housing, MK1 3" stainless exhaust, Old skool HKS super BOV, 3" GM MAF with MAFT, Artinist's old 4" core intercooler, custom Aluminium hard pipes, S13/SR20 Aluminium radiator w/clutch fan, Innovate LC-1 wide band O2, `83 crank pulley with A/C removed.
   `88 5 speed trans with Stedbani short shifter, Stedbani poly trans mount and engine mounts, drilled and slotted rotors, Joly roger stainless steel braided lines(brake, clutch, oil cooler, and ABS delete).
   KYB GR2, Artinist sleeve coil-overs, MK1 poly bushings, Energy Suspension poly end links, MK1 Adjustable tension rods, Cusco front camber plates, Artinist slotted rear camber plated.

ABS, A/C, Cruise control.. deleted, Right hand drive E-brake handle.

... more to come
Feedback thread #1
Feedback thread #2I'm PayPal Verified

#29 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Progress yet again. Time to clean up all the dust, double check everything is sanded, and then primer and paint.
Posted Image

Edited by speedyquest, 07 July 2014 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#30 cheesey

cheesey

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Looks like quite the project. Keep up the good work.

#31 dukaine

dukaine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

I look forward to seeing it in person when i recruit ya to help put my engine in possibly next weekend :D
Posted Image

#32 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

Haha I'm down but I hope your not talking about the weekend coming up. I won't be leaving here till Sunday.

Well here is where I made it to tonight. Had to stop to let the primer dry properly.

Posted Image

Tomorrow will be painting and then starting on bodywork. I also need to find time to upgrade the engine and fabricate the front assembly that will hold the bumper, radiator, and intercooler. The plan is to make it all one unit that can be taken off and set down for easy access to the whole bay.

Posted Image

#33 CarlosFley

CarlosFley

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:-Class Culture-
    Sinatra, Wu-Tang, Keys N Krates

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

Is it just me, or did you remove all those nasty arse looking brackets our cars notouriously have holding the fuses and whatnot?
'87 Chrysler Conquest TSI NON-SHP "Diamond"-Walbro 255, rebuilt TB, OVC hardpipe with HKS SSQV, GM 3" MAF, 1G DSM MAF Translator, 88-89 knock box, black silicone vacuum lines, ABS & Cruise Control delete, 3" HKS Super Power Flow, wire tucked... kinda :/, NRG adjustable shift knob, MSD Blaster 2, tucking tire in the rear and zero wheel gap in fronts on D2's, aaaaaaaannddddd stickaaaaaassssss for that booooooooost!

Interested in: CF 83 style hood, CF air daayyuum. Ohh and turbo-to-intercooler hardpipe.

#34 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

I did in fact remove them. And yes they are nasty lol. I had them relocated or removed entirely already. I just cut them off.

Posted Image

#35 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,391 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

What are you gonna do with the engine?

#36 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

Looking good Speedyquest...great before and after pics of eng bay.. Cleaned my eng bay as I went along fixing everything along the way......I used sink scrub brush...wore it down to the bone...

Edited by markhansenconquest, 08 July 2014 - 02:19 AM.

#37 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,990 posts
  • Interests:Going faster

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Dont rush it dude.  I wouldn't paint anything until you have all the rad mount stuff sorted out.  Trust me, grinding off fresh paint because you forgot to do something sucks.

#38 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

@Tech - I will be adding some things like sending units for new gauges, a new fabbed thermostat housing that has a fill neck on it, replacing a bunch of gaskets, etc. Nothing super exciting. Just easier to do it all with it out.

@Convette - What do you mean? What do you see that might make me have to work backwards? The front clip will get painted separately and use existing mounting points to attach.

So far this morning I got the first layer of paint on the engine bay. I'll wait to let it tack up then do one more layer I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 dtownmikebrown

dtownmikebrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Moving right along! I'm really interested to see what you come up with for the v-mounting. Do you have any other projects that you're referencing, or are you doing it from scratch?

#40 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Just doing it from scratch. I know the concepts of how a properly set up v-mount should work and just building that.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users