Which port for BOV

the one under three is the one it should be..

I would use the Third port back next to the firewall for the Blow Off Valve. You want the lowest source of vacuum on the Throttle body for the most accurate reading on your Boost gauge. That would be the lower port below the row of three.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I would use the Third port back next to the firewall for the Blow Off Valve. You want the lowest source of vacuum on the Throttle body for the most accurate reading on your Boost gauge. That would be the lower port below the row of three.

Bill

did you misword that? the third port in the back is what I use for the vac/boost gauge. the "bigger" lower port helps the bov actuate faster and better.

did you misword that? the third port in the back is what I use for the vac/boost gauge. the "bigger" lower port helps the bov actuate faster and better.

Nope.I think you got it wrong.Almost every member that has asked about a BOV hook up has been referred to the Third port back(it is actually called Nipple M in the FSM) next to the fire wall. It has been like this since I've been a member here (2002). And the lower port is like I explained it. I have my car hooked up the same way as I have posted...No problems for me ;) O.K. Rabbit, here is your million dollar question. What is Nipple M for???? Yep, third one back off the Throttle Body.

A. Boost Pressure Vacuum.

B. EGR Vacuum.

C. Distributor Advance Vacuum.

D. Secondary Air Control Vacuum.

E. ISC Vacuum Control.

F. ECU Vacuum.

G. Windshield Wiper washer Vacuum.

H. None of the above.

Now members, Don't screw this up. This question is for Rabbit only.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Nope.I think you got it wrong.Almost every member that has asked about a BOV hook up has been referred to the Third port back(it is actually called Nipple M in the FSM) next to the fire wall. It has been like this since I've been a member here (2002). And the lower port is like I explained it. I have my car hooked up the same way as I have posted...No problems for me ;) O.K. Rabbit, here is your million dollar question. What is Nipple M for???? Yep, third one back off the Throttle Body.

While you are sticking to the past you have failed to realize rabbit has the better solution.

Using port "M" is the old way of doing it. The lower port is better. There is no measurable vacuum difference between port M and the lower port. But a BOV responds faster to a stronger vacuum source. By switching out the hose barb on the lower port to a larger one and running 1/4" vacuum line to the BOV you will notice a huge difference. The BOV will react lightening fast and work better. I noticed an immediate difference in the way my BOV reacts when I switched to a larger line.

Using port M is still adequate for a BOV. But it is a "secondary" air source compared to the lower port. ;)

It shouldnt be like that unless you have a big air leak or i guess a problem with isc/tps

A bov venting to atmosphere is going to make the car run rich dont get me wrong...but it shouldnt be that bad.

While you are sticking to the past you have failed to realize rabbit has the better solution.

Using port "M" is the old way of doing it. The lower port is better. There is no measurable vacuum difference between port M and the lower port. But a BOV responds faster to a stronger vacuum source. By switching out the hose barb on the lower port to a larger one and running 1/4" vacuum line to the BOV you will notice a huge difference. The BOV will react lightening fast and work better. I noticed an immediate difference in the way my BOV reacts when I switched to a larger line.

Using port M is still adequate for a BOV. But it is a "secondary" air source compared to the lower port. ;)

I do things the way they work best. My Boost Gauge is spliced into the lower port. My Blow Off Valve is hooked into the Third port off the Throttle body. It has been like this on my car for 8 years now with no problems with the BOV or the Boost Gauge.So Jeff, you tell me if I hooked up things in the proper locations??? After all, I have been reading advice on this site for going on 10 years now and have owned the same Starion for 22 years. I think that by this time I do know where the best locations are to be found to connect certain aftermarket parts. And I will continue to give the same advice I have found that works from reading posts on SQC to members seeking help on this site :rolleyes:

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I do things the way they work best. My Boost Gauge is spliced into the lower port. My Blow Off Valve is hooked into the Third port off the Throttle body. It has been like this on my car for 8 years now with no problems with the BOV or the Boost Gauge.So Jeff, you tell me if I hooked up things in the proper locations??? After all, I have been reading advice on this site for going on 10 years now and have owned the same Starion for 22 years. I think that by this time I do know where the best locations are to be found to connect certain aftermarket parts. And I will continue to give the same advice I have found that works from reading posts on SQC to members seeking help on this site :rolleyes:

Bill

How do you know it's the best if you haven't tried it the other way? You can't because you don't know. I have tried both methods and found the lower port with a larger ID hose works better. You can argue with me all you want but until you have tried it you don't have a valid argument.

How do you know it's the best if you haven't tried it the other way? You can't because you don't know. I have tried both methods and found the lower port with a larger ID hose works better. You can argue with me all you want but until you have tried it you don't have a valid argument.

You want the lowest source of vacuum off the Throttle body, for the most accurate reading on your Aftermarket Boost/Vacuum Gauge. Do you know where that source of information came from?....Shelby. Tell him he is wrong and doesn't know because he hasn't tried other locations :lol: :lol: Jeff,You can do what you like. I will continue to give members bonified, accurate and proven advice that has worked over the years for many a member.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I used the lower port, and I it works OK. Now when I let off the gas, the engine dies. The RPMs go very low. Do I need to adjust anything, or do I have to live with it?

I ended up having to recirculate my bov to stop it from doing that. I did a few tps resets and adjusted my bov and it didn't help. It made a big diffence when I reciculated it, but it depends on the type of bov you have.

You want the lowest source of vacuum off the Throttle body, for the most accurate reading on your Aftermarket Boost/Vacuum Gauge. Do you know where that source of information came from?....Shelby. Tell him he is wrong and doesn't know because he hasn't tried other locations :lol: :lol: Jeff,You can do what you like. I will continue to give members bonified, accurate and proven advice that has worked over the years for many a member.

Bill

It's perfectly acceptable for you to keep thinking the world is flat just because others tell you it is. The fact still remains that you haven't tried it so you don't have a valid argument.

And yes I would debate shelby on that point. This isn't personal. This is about trying new things and finding better ways to do them.

Hey bill, without looking it up.. are you talking about the port where my transmission vacuum modulator is connected? cause I don't tee into my brake vacuum or trans vacuum for anything.

and the bottom port is plenty big to actuate any accessories. the tiny one on the row of three can't move but so much air. just my thought.

oh, and I didn't come up with this all on my own either:

My link

not arguing here, but my car reads accurate, blows off quick, holds boost, and best part.. doesn't hiccup/stall when my blow off valve actuates.

Edited by The Rabbit1

And yes I would debate shelby on that point.

Then do it. I am getting tired of dealing with you. I had to deal with you at Mesquite giving mis-information to a new member, now I am having to deal with you here. Why do you think your not invited back to Mesquite 2011? (I am not the only member that was there that heard your mis-information). It is just like your comment: "My car reads 14.8 afr at cold start up with a Wideband" You need to either tone down your "lack of knowledge" comments, Or don't post advice at all.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Hey bill, without looking it up.. are you talking about the port where my transmission vacuum modulator is connected?

It is a simple question??? If you have the FSM, you should be able to find it. If you can't, ask Jeff because both of you decided to hook your BOV and Boost gauge vacuum lines up to different ports and wouldn't listen to long term proven reasonable advice when it was given. I can't help you if you decide to go in a different direction that is not proven to work.Rabitt, Why do you think I spend my evenings on here? I don't make any money for doing it. I do it to help members with solid advice I have learned from others over the past 9 years. If you choose to listen to others whos advice might be detramental to your car, I can't help you at all

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Then do it. I am getting tired of dealing with you. I had to deal with you at Mesquite giving mis-information to a new member, now I am having to deal with you here. It is just like your comment: "My car reads 14.8 afr at start up with a Wideband" You need to either tone down your "lack of knowledge" comments, Or don't post for help at all.

Bill

You are so full of yourself it's pathetic. You've always been a jerk. You proved that with your slanderous comments about SQC on .net We know all about you "truth teller". The newbies here don't know about you being banned from several sites including this one. Or all the BS garbage you have posted about SQC. Letting you back on here was a bad idea. It didn't take you long to go back to your old ways. Don't give me that BS line about you being tired of dealing with me. YOU are the one who keeps coming back because you "have" to be right. You can't stand being wrong so instead of debating the link to PQs post that agrees with my statement you make a personal attack to try to change the subject. Grow up bill.

The only BS and misinformation in this thread is coming from you.

You are so full of yourself it's pathetic. You've always been a jerk. You proved that with your slanderous comments about SQC on .net We know all about you "truth teller". The newbies here don't know about you being banned from several sites including this one. Or all the BS garbage you have posted about SQC. Letting you back on here was a bad idea. It didn't take you long to go back to your old ways. Don't give me that BS line about you being tired of dealing with me. YOU are the one who keeps coming back because you "have" to be right. You can't stand being wrong so instead of debating the link to PQs post that agrees with my statement you make a personal attack to try to change the subject. Grow up bill.

The only BS and misinformation in this thread is coming from you.

All I know is this. I am invited back to Mesquite 2011 by the members who organized the 2010 meet. And was asked AGAIN this year to help out with the daily organization and running of the events, which I accepted gladly. So, I must not be the person you try to make me out to be.I got along just fine with everyone who attended Mesquite. Can you make the same claim ?

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

All I know is this. I am invited back to Mesquite 2011 by all of the members who attended the 2010 meet. And was asked AGAIN to help out with the running of it. So, I must not be the person you try to make me out to be.

Bill

That's nice, do you want a gold star? How about a lollipop?