1989 conquest resurection

SRTJeff

I just purchased a 1989 conquest for $300.00.

the previous owner said the turbo blew  a couple of weeks ago.

I haven't got into it yet but here is what I can see wrong so far.

Wastgate actuator stuck

radiator leaking

smokeing exhuast I am going to check the compresion today.

I need to find a good parts souce for a turbo rebuild kit or a good used or remanufactured turbo.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

Wastegate actuator stuck: how did you test for this?  You need to apply air pressure to the various ports to make the arm extend (towards the rear of the car) to test the actuator.  It takes A LOT of finger strength to just pull the rod out by hand.  Since the car is an 89, it should have a 3-port wastegate.  That means:

7.5 psi to extend the actuator if you connect to the port closest to the arm

10.5 psi to extend if you connect to either "front port" (closer to radiator) while the other port is capped.  If air leaks out of the actuator during either test, the actuator is shot.

Smoking exhaust: what color is it?  I.e., oil or water smoke?  If the turbo is "shot" there's a good chance a bunch of oil got dumped into the exhaust and catalytic converters... that'll smoke for a LONG time.  The cats will be destroyed too.  Take the turbo off the car and shine a light into the pre-cat - the cat converter attached to the turbo.  If it looks plugged up inside (likely) it's shot; that'll kill emissions, kill the turbo (traps heat), and kill the car's performance due to the blocked exhaust.  With the turbo off, look at the air hoses going from the turbo to the intercooler.  If you see puddles of oil (a light mist coating is normal on the inlet hose) then the turbo puked oil into your intake tract.  You'll have to remove all the hoses and the intercooler to clean them out.  I'd do this anyway; the intercooler collects crud on high-mileage cars anyway.  

TurboCity.com of California does stock StarQuest turbo rebuilds.  They sell the kits so you can do it yourself... as long as the wheel housings aren't damaged.  You have to make sure you remember the exact alignment of the wheels as you dis-assemble the turbo so they can be put back exactly the same - the turbo needs to be precision balanced at the RPMs it spins.  Me?  I'd just let the shop do the whole thing; they'll clean it and check stuff that most home guys can't measure.  TurboCity does it overnight.  Other places: Robert Young at ForcedPerformance also knows StarQuest turbos but he's not overnight.  Sometimes he's not even over-month.

If you send in the turbo, remove ALL fittings (oil inlet, wastegate, oil drain hose, etc.) before sending it; otherwise you may not get them back.  You'll need a bunch of new copper gaskets too.

What's the mileage of the car?  Some other things you might want to consider:

new timing & balance shaft chain & guide kit.  Recommended every 100K miles.

New fluids throughout the car.  Tranny is plain GL4; differential needs the friction modifier (ChryCo dealers sell it cheap, Kendall makes some too), power steering uses auto tranny fluid (Dexron) and NOT power steering fluid.  Clean the fuel injector clips (electrical connectors) and the fragile prongs on the injectors too; that's the most common trouble spot on these cars.  Several brands of replacement clips are available - see the FAQ for names and part numbers.

mike c.

well if the motor has excellent compression in all four and you know the head isn't cracked and all the other systems work fine then you could upgrade to a 14g turbo-

I would only upgrade if the motor is solid-

If you do go with the stock turbo then shop around more for a cheaper turbo. maybe find a good used turbo

BTW  I work with a guy named   Jeff Wolk and he owns a 03 SRT4

I thought you were him for a sec

Jeff,

don't jump to a new turbo, and def. find out the shape of engine --I did turbo rebuild myself two years ago, $100  for parts from Turbo City, the thing hauls, -also -the four in the conquest can go - be patient, this site will help, usually there are little problems that need tracking-read the forums, you have a good deal, -if the head is shot -go non jet valve mechanical-

Use the $500 to cover all the probs-- if you study the machine-

good luck!!!

I installed the stage 1 ECU and injectors on my srt4 .

I am wondering if I can use the stock srt ecu and injectors on my 89 Conquest.

I purchased the Conquest as a project car about two weeks ago The turbo is pretty much f#%ked.I took off the turbo last night and the nut for the compressor wheel was in the ductwork.  

Any help or suggestions would be appriciated .

• 1 month later...