10 replies to this topic

#1 twoshady

twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:08 AM

noobie question...  besides the wheel width (which can be replaced) what exactly are the characteristics of the SHP package?  i see sellers claiming to have SHP, but honestly I wouldn't know what to look for.  the struts are 8 way electronically adjustable, but how? Is there an interior button that I'm unaware of?  I can't find any specific info online.

thanks in advance

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

On your SHP Wheels there's letters stamped inside of a square(outside of rims)  also on the struts there is a dial to turn for softer or harder ride. Rear rims are 16 by 9  front rims are 16 x 8  these sizes are also stamped inside of the rim.

Edited by croquest87, 08 November 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#3 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:25 PM

Also, the tire info decal on the driver's door jamb will indicate the larger sizes 225/50 and 245/45 iirc. Not sure if there is something else in the VIN # that would also indicate the SHP option. I believe they also included a leather wrapped shift knob.
Posted Image

#4 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

steering  parts ,,trans,,diff are beeffer......

Edited by markhansenconquest, 08 November 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#5 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:42 PM

The tire size on the decal in the drivers door jamb is the quickest method of determining if the car originally had the SHP package.  

So much hype on SHP.  I do like the wider rims but could care less about the adjustable struts.   The package I always liked was Mitsubishi's 'Sun and Shade' which had the louvers and the mudflaps.  Just the louvers and flaps alone (as in just the parts) bring more cash than what you will gain on a starquest having the SHP package or not.  

Kevin

#6 twoshady

twoshady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:15 PM

View Postkev, on 08 November 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

The tire size on the decal in the drivers door jamb is the quickest method of determining if the car originally had the SHP package.  

So much hype on SHP.  I do like the wider rims but could care less about the adjustable struts.   The package I always liked was Mitsubishi's 'Sun and Shade' which had the louvers and the mudflaps.  Just the louvers and flaps alone (as in just the parts) bring more cash than what you will gain on a starquest having the SHP package or not.  

Kevin

that was my next question.  is it even worth it to hunt one down.  i can probably find the wider rims.  thanks for the info

#7 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

88-89 cars have all the right goodies especially in SHP. If you are going after big horsepower down the road I would shoot for those 2 years.  89 would be the latest and greatest of these cars and best choice. I do love all other years to.

Edited by croquest87, 08 November 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#8 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:21 PM

With all of the hype we as starquest owners placed on the 88/89 shp cars, I do see their value increasing with time because they will be the most desirable.  Consider it like the GT package of a 64-68 mustang.  

I do agree that performance-wise the 88/89 is the best choice with the 6 bolt rear axles, stronger transmission, larger tubed intercooler, etc., but I don't see drive for the shp package personally.   Granted, I never owned an shp car but I do have the 8/9" wheels on my current 87.    I'd be more inclined to find an 89 starion (under 200 imported to the US) or an 86 starion widebody in a unique color like olive grey and the sun/shade package.   But I shouldn't talk, I cut up an olive grey 86 starion widebody to save my 87 tsi, which is the most common of all starquests.    But I also have all of the goodies from an 88/89 on my 87 as well.

It all comes down to simply enjoying the hobby.  I always liked how affordable these cars were combined with the fun factor of driving them and their rarity.   Always thought that it was a great balance in all.

Kevin

#9 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:21 PM

88 89 had the 6 bolt rear ends. It was the half shafts and hub assy that had 6 bolts instead of 4. 89 had a beefier trans pan which added strength.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#10 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

kev, on 08 November 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

With all of the hype we as starquest owners placed on the 88/89 shp cars, I do see their value increasing with time because they will be the most desirable.  Consider it like the GT package of a 64-68 mustang.  

I do agree that performance-wise the 88/89 is the best choice with the 6 bolt rear axles, stronger transmission, larger tubed intercooler, etc., but I don't see drive for the shp package personally.   Granted, I never owned an shp car but I do have the 8/9" wheels on my current 87.    I'd be more inclined to find an 89 starion (under 200 imported to the US) or an 86 starion widebody in a unique color like olive grey and the sun/shade package.   But I shouldn't talk, I cut up an olive grey 86 starion widebody to save my 87 tsi, which is the most common of all starquests.    But I also have all of the goodies from an 88/89 on my 87 as well.

It all comes down to simply enjoying the hobby.  I always liked how affordable these cars were combined with the fun factor of driving them and their rarity.   Always thought that it was a great balance in all.

Kevin
I ended up cutting up 86 starion in olive gray last year due to the fact that car was to far gone.l wish it could have been saved. Wide body w manual seatbelts and sunroof.It was a mix 85 and 87  transitional year l guess. Very unique year for sure.

Edited by croquest87, 08 November 2018 - 07:11 PM.

#11 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,137 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:09 AM

Also I canít find the info BUT I believe the spring rates are different on the SHP cars.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users