Jay40245

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:cars
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Anti-theft alarm problem(s) on 89 quest:
1) when I attempt to arm the alarm, the security light does not illuminate unless I disconnect and reconnect the battery (or pull and reinstal fuse #1). The anti-theft will arm and disarm without issue from that point forward, unless I turn the key to the on position. After turning the key to the on position, I have to cut power to the entire car as stated above to get the security light to come on.
2) upon arming the system, I attempt to trigger the system (hood, trunk, and door switches work). The only reaction I get from the car is that I can hear the passing relay click. No lights, no horn.
I suspect the etacs unit, but all other etacs  controlled functions on the car operate as intended. I have a spare etacs (untested) that I swapped in, and it behaves the same. Also swapped the passing relay, no change.
I've consulted the fsm and the troubleshooting guide for my particular set of issues isn't outlined. Any insight would be appreciated.

#2 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,436 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:04 PM

I would start by cleaning grounds.  If that doesn't fix it then I would check the door switches and ignition switch.  There's a key reminder switch, I think it's built into the ignition switch.  You can't arm the alarm or lock the car while a key is in the ignition.  As to why it resets when the battery is disconnected idk.
My 87
Posted Image

#3 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

For the first issue, try unplugging your door lock actuator switches within the door panel.  The open condition results in the ETACS thinking the doors are in the locked condition.   Try rearming the system to see if that works.   You shouldn't have to hold the door handle in this case or even lock the door, simply shut it.  

For the second, the passing relay should activate the passing control relay inside the cabin of the car to open and flash the headlights.  The horn relay is located on that relay cluster of 4 above the coil and should activate independently of the passing relay.    Take a look at the diagram on page 8-288 of the manual.  Note the passing control relay and horn relay feed back to the ETACS via connection 29 (Tr2) through two independent diodes.  It just seems like the ETACS doesn't know the system is fully armed.  As to why it partially works after resetting the battery, I'm clueless.  

I'd start with those door actuator switches.  I've had problems with those before.  (I've also had issues with the key cylinder switches but I don't believe that is your issue).   If you can get the alarm to arm correctly, it may resolve the second issue you have.

#4 Jay40245

Jay40245

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the tips guys! Kev, I was wondering if I was reading the schematic correctly, because it looked to me like the passing relay activates the passing control relay like you said. Thanks for the verification. Something you mentioned made me remember a significant detail. When the system does arm, I try to unlock the driver's door with the key and I can hear that passing relay click. Obviously something is not right in that door.

Edited by Jay40245, 09 November 2018 - 12:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users