#1 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,378 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:14 PM

Hey all, I've had a helluva day and I need some advice. Not long ago somebody posted on here about using AAA to tow their parts/project vehicles. I've got a car at a buddy's house about an hour away, and today i went and got it ready to pull. Called AAA and had things set up, let them know it had no registration on it, and all was fine. They had an extended ETA, of up to 4 hours, but said I could come home and my buddy could "stand in for me" and sign off. I get a call from the driver a few minutes ago telling me AAA doesn't tow cars without plates on them, that he's loading anyway, and wants me to throw some cash at him, because he says AAA won't pay for this. What are your thoughts? Is he trying to scam me?

#2 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

Sounds scammy.  Have him tow it and forget giving him cash.   He's getting paid regardless

#3 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:50 PM

I just pulled the plates off my '88. He says they want a pic, he can take one, and the parts car's an '88 too.

#4 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

Hope this worked out for ya. AAA is very reputable. Call them back and ask them if what the tow driver said is true. When they say its not give them the tow company s name. They'll deal with it.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#5 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:59 AM

It all worked out. He showed up, had the AAA paperwork, didn't even mention paying out of pocket for anything (I was worried he would). He unloaded, seemed like a nice guy, but very overworked. I tipped him a little cash as he was about to leave. I will most certainly remember to put plates of some sort on the next one they tow for me. Thanks all   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users