#1 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

Recently picked up a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 from an ex coworker for 800 dollars. 2.3l turbo 6 speed manual transmission. Stock they have decent power and torque.

The car originally was traded into my dealership with a blown engine. Sat around for a few months until they decided they weren't going to put a motor in it or try and flip it at auction. My co worker had picked it up for around 2k dollars. Didnt do anything on the car for a year and a half then calls me out of the blue. Says "You want this thing or not? Give me 800 and I will tow it to your house."

I blue booked the car, value is around 7-10k in good condition. Body is straight, few scratches and the interior needs detailing. Sure why not. The car already has a 3" TurboXS exhaust and downpipe, AEM intake, 3 port boost solenoid and I'm sure it has been tuned to some extent. The engine threw a rod so I am not sure the quality of tune or if the PO went ham on some boost causing it to blow.

Either way I got another complete engine for 2100 dollars. So far around 3k in the hole which isnt horrible. The motor I got already has a Damond Motorsports PCV/catch can plate and an EGR delete plate. I'm going to do a basic reseal of the pan and rear main as well as any other hard to reach components.

I'll upload some pictures soon.

#2 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And of course my helper Lola. She isnt doing much.

Posted Image

Edited by Turbo Cary, 28 July 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#3 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:05 PM

Thatís a lot for an engine.  Power Nation  had an episode on that car I believe.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#4 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,993 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Fun little cars. Basically the Focus ST before the Focus ST.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#5 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

tsi_tom, on 28 July 2019 - 12:05 PM, said:

Thatís a lot for an engine.  Power Nation  had an episode on that car I believe.

Actually it is fairly cheap. That was at cost of how much my dealership could get it for and I didn't have to pay shipping. Plus it has a warranty on it. A new long block from Mazda was 4500 our cost not including any gaskets or other things I would need. I should be able to get the car on the road for less than 3500 including the cost of the car itself.

#6 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:50 PM

what is the eyelet below the passenger headlight?

#7 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

Preludedude, on 28 July 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

what is the eyelet below the passenger headlight?

A screw in tow hook.

#8 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

Get it running, flip it, dump cash into quest money pit.lol
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#9 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:56 PM

87redcat, on 28 July 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

Get it running, flip it, dump cash into quest money pit.lol

he's already dumped the quest and got a miata

#10 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:25 PM

Made some progress. Motor and trans are out. Turns out cylinder 4 threw the rod through the block. When I took the trans off the engine there was about 3 inches of clutch disc powder. The PO most likely was doing dumb burnouts and blew it up.

I ordered an ACT Street Clutch, Prolite flywheel, a Cobb Access Port and a few other things. Turns out this car has an upgraded turbo on it. The stock KO4 has been machined and has a larger wheel on both the compressor/turbine.

Here are some more shots. I took the whole front end off to just pull it forward from the car. It was easier and allowed for more room. I expect to have the car together by the end of the week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Turbo Cary, 10 August 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#11 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

Update! I got the car running and on the road. It took me a while because I ran into a few issues. The axle seals were no good and my idiot parts department couldn't get me the right ones so I ended up finding them myself.

The car wouldn't start, it was a trade in/repo from my dealer and there was a Past time box on the ignition so they could disable it from running. Removed it and still wouldn't run. Found corrosion on the ECU connector and had to re pin it with new terminals.

The clutch line had broken at the slave. I went to the junk yard and they had a regular 5 speed mazda 3 which has the same slave but different line. I ended up splicing the two together with a compression fitting.

The car was incredibly dirty. Inside and out. Washed it at a car was but haven't done the inside. I still have to wire the wideband gauge in and mount the Accessport.

#12 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 07:41 PM

View PostTurbo Cary, on 29 September 2019 - 12:19 PM, said:

The car wouldn't start, it was a trade in/repo from my dealer and there was a Past time box on the ignition so they could disable it from running. Removed it and still wouldn't run. Found corrosion on the ECU connector and had to re pin it with new terminals.

Damn!  How does that happen?  What it getting wet?  I know a Mazda I was working on had the BCM blow because the hood cable was causing a leak.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#13 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

tsi_tom, on 29 September 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Damn!  How does that happen?  What it getting wet?  I know a Mazda I was working on had the BCM blow because the hood cable was causing a leak.

The Mazda engineers and their infinite wisdom decided to put the ECU next to the battery.

I took the car for a drive and it is fast. Broke tires loose when I punched it in 3rd doing 40. I have to calibrate the wastegate solenoid because I'm over boosting. I'll get some photos soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users