Owner Letter

Date

VIN

Customer Name

Address

Address

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE

Dear Mitsubishi Owner:

This notice sent to you by Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. ("MMSA") in accordance with the defect provisions of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

MMSA has determined that some front seat belt release buttons have broken in certain 1986-1991 model year Mitsubishi brand vehicles, and that some of of their release buttons may break in the future. Your front seat belt buckle release buttons are made of red plastic and are marked "PRESS". If the button breaks, pieces may fall into the buckle assembly. If this occurs, the buckle may not operate properly, thereby creating a safety risk.

To prevent this problem from occuring, MMSA will replace the release button in both front seat belt buckles free of charge, whether or not they are broken.

In addition, MMSA is extending the current warranty on the front seat belts in your vehicle (including the center lap belts in pickup trucks) for the life of the vehicle. See your warranty booklet for details. This means that if any conditions covered by the seat belt warranty are found at any time now or in the future, your Mitsubishi dealer will correct these conditions free of charge. Please keep this letter with your warranty materials for the vehicle.

It is very important that you schedule your Mitsubishi for button replacement as soon as possible, after you receive this notice (the notices to owners are being mailed in a phased manner, to maximize parts availability). If your seat belt buckle doesn't operate properly, you might not be able to use your seat belt until it is repaired. Seat belt use is required by law in almost all states. Also, if you do not use your seat belt, and you are in a collision, your chances of being killed or seriously injured are much higher than if you are wearing your seat belt. MMSA urges you to use your seat belt at all times, and to contact your dealer immediately for button replacement, especially if you notice that a button is broken or if you experience any problems with seat belt operation. Even if the buttons are not broken, they should be replaced.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO

Contact your Mitsubishi dealer and make an appointment for replacement of your front outboard seat belt release buttons. The dealer will replace both front seat belt release buttons free of charge. This replacement will take approximately 2 hours, but your dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based on their work schedule. If your vehicle is a pickup truck with a center lap belt, the dealer inspect its buckle and, if necessary, replace it. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment Instructions have been sent to your Mitsubishi dealer. If the dealer fails, or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, you may contact the Customer Service Department, Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc., P.O Box 6400, Cypress CA, 90630-0064 The toll free telephone number is 1-800-222-0037.

You may also contact the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington D.C. 20590 or call toll free auto safety hotline at 1-800-424-9393. (Washington, D.C. area residents may call 202-366-0123).

Thank you for your cooperation. We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience you might experience.

This should be checked into for all 1988 model Conquest and Starion vehicles.....lifetime warranty on the seatbelts....this, by definition would include the motorized assembly.

Tim

Number: SC89001

Date: 11/01/89

Campaign - New Connecting Rod Bearing

Owner Letter

June 26, 1989

Dear Mitsubishi Starion Owner, Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. has determined that your Starion may have connecting rod bearings that will wear prematurely. Since your satisfaction is very important to us, we are requesting that you have the following service performed as soon as possible to avoid serious engine damage.

Your dealer has been instructed to replace the connecting rod bearings with newly-designed bearings which will provide greater durability. During this service, your dealer will also change the oil and filter at no cost to you.

Please contact your Authorized Mitsubishi Motors Dealer to arrange a convenient service date. This service requires approximately three hours to complete, but may take longer depending on the dealer's schedule.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation in having this service completed as soon as possible. We have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our product.

Should you have any questions, please contact your Authorized Mitsubishi Motors Dealer.

Throw another log on the fire!!

Tim

EDIT:

StarquestG54B informs me that Mitsubishi dealers don't like talking about the Chrysler cars. So, he'd like to add the following contact info for the Chryslers:

1-800-247-9753

(1-800-CHRYSLER)

M-F 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET

Edited by UlrichWolf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This seat belt thing is legit.....

I took the '86 in for it, and they did it, no qualms.  Of course, I waited till the damn buckle broke, and couldn't hook up my seat belt.

Funny side note...they came out and told me that the recall didn't fix it.  I asked if they had fished the broken plastic from the old buckle out, and they gave me this blank stare.....dealers....can't live with them, can't burn them to the ground.

Nevertheless, my seat belt works again.

Tim

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Only if it is all still original and the engine hasn't been rebuilt.

Bill

So what your are saying is even with 136,xxx miles on a completly stock motor, I can take it to the dealer and have the rod berings replaced for free. ???

As far as the seatbelt thing I am going to get tht fixed as soon as the car is legal. I already borke one leg in a car wreck because the seatbelt had a recall that I didn't know about. And I don't plan on braking the other leg for the same resone. :P ;D

Charlie

That is what the recall says, I would think with that many miles you have got your monies worth. Call your dealer and tell them you want to schedule an appointment and give them the recall number. If they give you any problems keep track of the persons name and the reasons they gave you and callMitsu customer service at the number in the post and follow the rest of the directions.My belt holder came completely apart and there is nothing there but a piece of metal. Good luck and let us know if you decide to do this.

Bill

• 5 months later...
Guest hellbilly
i hate to bring up the dead but i am new to the starquest scene and i was wondering if there was any way i could tell if any/all recalls have been performed or not on my car('89 TSi). i could use a new set of bearings and seeing as i know two of the employees i could probably get a break on re-ringing the engine too.

• 2 months later...
i hate to bring up the dead but i am new to the starquest scene and i was wondering if there was any way i could tell if any/all recalls have been performed or not on my car('89 TSi). i could use a new set of bearings and seeing as i know two of the employees i could probably get a break on re-ringing the engine too.

Yeah what he said....

and do these recalls/ campaigns apply to the Conquests too?  I know the Quest and starion are the same but dumber things have happened. and must I go to a Mitsu dealer or can I go to a dodge dealer... only reason I ask is there's a dodge dealer right next to my CHevy dealer and the Mits dealer is pretty far away

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 89 conquest and gave mitsubishi a call.They said i would have to call the chrysler dealership up and ask them about it.They also said if it was a starion they would do the recalls but were not sure about the rod bearings.(if the recall was good for the life of the car) The seat belts were a sure thing though. Does anybody have recall numbers or any info regarding the conquest? My car has 58,000 original miles on it and would like to jump on this a.s.a.p. (plus my car has a small oil pan leak so this is a plus ;D ) also- i am the second owner of this car if that matters.

thanks- justin

• 1 month later...

my car fell under the catt recall so i set up to have the work done after calling mitsu of america (didnt really need one but i thought it was funny to have my 87 have some free service)

long story short . the dealer said they wouldnt do it even tho they could get the parts "a***************S" and after a bunch of phone calls i had a clame filed aganst then with the EPA for falure to comply with some emmissions crap

yeah i know it was a s*** head thing to do but they were big Co*k suckers to me so i had a good laugh

PS nothing ended up happening to them it probly fell through the cracks