Symptoms of Being 1-Tooth Off on Cam Timing

We were having some discussions around the shop regarding what the symtoms would be if you were 1-tooth off on cam timing in either direction (with a stock cam). Obviously, the car would be weak whether it's advanced or retarded a tooth, but for those who have been there before, what did you see.

I have a spare adjustable cam gear lying around that I could throw on just to see the results, but that's just extra work and I'd rather just hear from those who have experienced it :D

On some engines the engine won't run. Some engines will run if off a tooth. Don't know which the StarQuest would be.

One tooth advanced would make it more quicker at take-off, but no top end.

One tooth retarded would make it sluggish at take-off, but better top end performance.

This is all by memory, someone will correct me if wrong.

We were having some discussions around the shop regarding what the symtoms would be if you were 1-tooth off on cam timing in either direction (with a stock cam). Obviously, the car would be weak whether it's advanced or retarded a tooth, but for those who have been there before, what did you see.

I have a spare adjustable cam gear lying around that I could throw on just to see the results, but that's just extra work and I'd rather just hear from those who have experienced it :D

Loss of power Bad Vac at idel.

Just put the crank to TDC and make sure the cam dowel is at high noon.

Just put the crank to TDC and make sure the cam dowel is at high noon.

This is not in reference to a certain car, we were just discussing the effects on SOHC turbo engines

Edited by jonboyb

This is not in reference to a certain car, we were just discussing the effects on SOHC turbo engines

ooo well the vac will not be right thats going to be one of the bigest ones to look for. car might run hot as well I have had both happen to me be for.

Edited by TainterRacing

It seems logical to me that 1-tooth advanced would produce extremely quick boost while 1-tooth retarded might not boost much at all. Of course that could be completely backwards too :D

One tooth is around 19 degrees because you are talking about crank degrees any time you refer to cam timing so its always going to be double.

you have a milled head and deck cause you wanted a flat surface on the head and a zero deck and you are really screwed, you could be over one tooth off depending on what was done

Stock Cam Specs:

Intake Valve Opens 25 BTDC

Closes 59 ABDC

Exhaust Valve Opens 64 BBDC

Closes 20 ATDC

Edited by Indiana

on a stock engine, the first thing that should be notice'd is it's darn near imposible to get the dist properly time'd ,,the dist install procedures are the same for all yrs and all of our cars , this also means that with in a few degrees all dists will set in the same position,, this time last time and the next time the dist is r&r'd , if it don't then the cam gear is not in the right position (cam gear or crank gear is not in time ) mormaly it's the crank gear thats off, sence the chain can easily drop down and slip a tooth while the cam gear is off,, you have to manualy move the chain on the cam gear for it to change

if the crank & cam are not in alignment the dist will not set in it's normal position