Difference Between 4G63 and 4G64

Woody

Hey guys

I am trying to chase the difference between the 4G63 and 4G64 Pistons and Conrods. I already have forged pistons and rods for the 4G63 but am considering going to 4G64. I know I need the 4G64 Crank but want to see if I can re-use any parts I already have.

Cheers

Well i can tell you for sure the cranks are different. So your rod lengths are different from 2.0 to 2.4 so te rods wouldnt work unless your making a stroker and then you would need special pistons for that. It does get a bit confusing but as stated above it depends on what your trying to do!

I have the std 4G63 2.0 DOHC pistons and rods atm (forgies). I was considering the 4G64 7 bolt engine with the DOHC head. Obviously the crank is different, but I am pretty sure both the pistons and rods would need to change. Just don't know the specs

• 3 weeks later...

4g63 - 88mm stroke 85mm bore

4g64 - 100mm stroke and 86.5m bore and 6mm taller deck

I'd sell those internals get 87mm pistons with a 6 or 9mm raised pin and put in 156 or 159 length rods. about the same money wise and helps with the revs and quiets down the motor a good bit. (4g64s are much noisier than 63s)

u doing a dohc 4g64 starquest?

Not 100% sure what to do yet. But yeah Both 4G63 and 4G64 had 150mm rods. The strokes are different but that comes from the crank etc. Not from the rods. My pistons are 86mm (oversides 4G63) but still wouldn't fit. I would imagine the 4G64 isn't any louder than the 54 is.

noisy on the knock sensor I mean. better rod ratio helps avoidance of phantom knock and gives u a safe and easy 8k rev limit.

be sure to research head gaskets and timing belts if u havent. some things to consider there as well.

Good luck with the build

4g63 = 2.0L

4g64 = 2.4L

4g63 block 4g64 crank = 2.1L

4g64 block 4g63 crank = 2.3L

(i'm pretty sure on these ^ 2^ but they may be backwards) Anyway you CAN swap the 63/64 cranks.

The 4g63 DOHC will bolt to the 4g64 block but you need to cap a few passages.

Yep already have adjustable cam gears so thats not a worry at all. Was considering going the straight 4G64 2.4 setup with the 63 DOHC head. Seems like the closest to the 2.6 as I can get with the DOHC which I so badly want. That and hte 64 bolts up to our box's better.

Its not so much about 64 or 63 block, its about the stroke length etc.

As far as I am aware, the 4G64 2.4 version should have the most torque, but achieves max power at lower rpm and can't rev as high. The 63 block with 64 crank will achieve less torque than the 64 set but be able to handle higher rpm. and the 63 block and crank will achieve less torque again but handle higher revs again. Not sure where the 64 block with 63 crank fits in, I would say between the 63/63 and the 63/64,

As for pure HP or kw figures, I have no idea. In the end, I am more after the torque as I love the 2.6's torque.

I was talking about 64 block 63 head. And I am ALLLLLL about the torque. Im getting a vr4 though. 2.6 doesnt fit haha

ALSO

Which is better Power sooner or More Revs?

Edited by turbojew