SFBMX88 LS2 Flatty build

s13 rack smog legal flatty 5 lug shortened struts 6 speed auto to manual LS swap t-56

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#161 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:32 AM

Great job! How did you bypass the theft deterrent module or did you incorporate it into your column? I know that with GM cars the theft module sends data to the body module which tells the ECU it is ok to crank/run. If you were local to me I would have programmed your ECU at no charge. My boss would have thought it was cool and let me do it on the side.

#162 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Thanks guys!  This has been a huge test of my patience, and a culmination of what I have learned on previous projects.  Itís coming out much better than I was expecting.  The hard stuff is done, now for the millions of little things that need sorting out.

Jinx, if I put the same effort into a G54B, it would never pass CA Smog visuals lol.  I certified the 4age in the Starlet about 5 years ago.  Was a lot simpler to get done, as itís pre-OBD2.  Basically doubled the horsies of that car with a stock engine.  About 120hp in an 1800lb rwd car.  Also running AE86 suspension/brakes/LSD.

Cary, luckily, it had the most current PCM flash!  I kept the VATS in tact to add layers to my vehicle security.  I did omit those details here in the thread for obvious reasons.  The BCM was needed first for me to run the GTO IPC(cluster), and as I went down the rabbit hole, found itís also needed for the VATS, and air conditioning request signals.  I may try to hook up the antenna and run the keyless entry through it too.

Edited by SFBMX88, 28 August 2019 - 07:54 PM.

#163 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostSFBMX88, on 28 August 2019 - 07:53 PM, said:

Cary, luckily, it had the most current PCM flash!  I kept the VATS in tact to add layers to my vehicle security.  I did omit those details here in the thread for obvious reasons.  The BCM was needed first for me to run the GTO IPC(cluster), and as I went down the rabbit hole, found itís also needed for the VATS, and air conditioning request signals.  I may try to hook up the antenna and run the keyless entry through it too.

The "antenna" may need to be programmed. It is called the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver or RCDLR. You'll just need to wire a few wires to it. One is Class 2 or Low Speed network wires to the BCM, the other is power and ground. The remotes will need to be programmed to the RCDLR.

Basically when you hit the remote the RCDLR checks the fob signal, verifies its programming, then sends the unlock/lock request to the BCM.

Now as for actually operating the locks you may have to get a door module to do it. I dont know the specific schematics of your year range BCM off the top of my head and how it controls the locks.

If you need any OE diagrams then PM me your model and year BCM info and I will pull them from GM service information. I can also get you connector end views which also list all terminal types and part numbers.

I recommend hooking it up! Having keyless entry, alarm, and remote start would be great. It would be an OE system all working as it was designed so you shouldn't have too many issues. I have seen VATS pass lock sensors fail but that's about it.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 01 September 2019 - 11:27 AM.

#164 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 07:01 AM

I was thinking about just getting the GTO fob, and cutting/tapping a Mitsubishi key to fit it.  The fob itself can be manually programmed in car, without a tech2, but it takes much longer.  I still have the antenna and key slip ring from the GTO, so Iíll play with those later. The antenna harness is also still connected to the BCM and tucked in under the dash ready to go. Donít remember seeing any door modules in the diagrams though.  The GTO is still pretty simple compared to todayís systems.  The fob only has lock/unlock and trunk release, so Iíll most likely delete the hatch cable/lever and run a button and solenoid instead.  Itís all pretty low on the priority list though.

Edited by SFBMX88, 02 September 2019 - 07:04 AM.

#165 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

I don't see why the GTO key blade couldn't just be cut down to match the Mitsubishi key. As long as the pass lock chip is ok then it should work.

#166 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

The GTO key is a completely different shape compared to the Mitsubishi key.  Would be easier to cut down the Mitsu key to mount it inside the fob.

Posted Image

#167 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 03:51 PM

August 2019 e

Posted Image

That day has arrived!

Posted Image
Posted Image

The inspection takes much longer than the usual smog check.  Everything has to be verified.  OBD data was analyzed, and actuator/sensor functions are checked bidirectionally with a scan tool.  Inspector said about 95% of swapped cars that roll through don't pass the first time.  My wife and kid helped to pass the near 2 hours it took to inspect.  400hp and smog legal...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think he likes the 80s elements of the car

Posted Image
Posted Image

Doggo

Posted Image

Getting 26-30 mpg at 65 mph with the cruise control on.  Not too shabby.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Weighed the front and back of the car with almost 3/4 of a tank of fuel in it.  No front swaybar yet, AC evaporator assembly in, no engine oil cooler+accusump+remote filter...this thing is near the same weight as when it was G54!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Weight when I brought the car down November 2017 with near empty gas tank.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Im nowhere near ready to paint the car, but I thought I would put a new emblem on anyway LOL

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now for all the million little things to make and fix.  The hard part is done!

Posted Image

#168 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

Just an amazing job.  

I couldn't imagine having to go thru all the checking/testing.  

SC>CA

:)

#169 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:05 PM

Congrats!
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#170 mbruneaux

mbruneaux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strength Sports, Starquests, and Brewing Belgian Ale.

Posted 04 September 2019 - 09:33 PM

Very cool and you did it right!
Canterbury, CT
1989 Chrysler Conquest TSi (Project Race Car) Build thread http://www.starquest...opic=147910&hl=
2001 BMW 740iL - for the wife and children
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 8.1  To tow the two hay burners
1998 BMW 528i manual  daily driver

Second place is S*** place , eh.  - Stéphane Peterhansel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: s13 rack, smog legal, flatty, 5 lug, shortened struts, 6 speed, auto to manual, LS swap, t-56

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users