Brrrrrrr

vbrad511

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-14 here with -39 wind chills and a lot of drifting snow. Got to head out and clear a path to feed the animals. Hope the snow blower fires up. I put the oldest vehicle we have the plow truck in the garage last night and put the wife's car outside. She wasn't happy but we aren't ever getting out of here with out the plow truck running. 5-6 ft drift covering the driveway. Edited by duckheads

OUCH! thats cold! it was 41 this morning at 5:00 am

supposed to bea high of 19 tomorrow possibly colder so the news says.

right now 42. going to be 28 when i get out of work and 7 tomorrow morning. :blink:

Edited by importwarrior

I'm not a cold weather person, so I can't imagine what -19 feels like. It's mid to upper 70's in LA today.

How do the SQ's do in weather like that? Do they give you guys a hard time to start? Do you run thinner oil in the winter? Is your radiator filled with mostly antifreeze or only antifreeze?

23 in GA today and snowing! Rare sight here. Tomm it's supposed to be 6 degrees!!!

To put it in perspective, CNN said in MN it was -22. The surface of Mars was -20!!!! Absolutely nuts!!!

-17F this morning in Chicago, -43F wind chill.

On a side note, yesterday was 7F with -15F wind chill and the Conquest was under 4 feet of snow for the last month. I brushed her off and she cranked right over and started!

Gotta love older cars with limited computer/electronic equipment.

-19 this morning. The car sounded like a radial engine on an airplane starting up...slow turn-over, then a cylinder fires, than more turn over, then a couple of cylinders, half a turn more and the engine finally catches. Phew.

Forecast high of -11 today and it's supposed to be somewhere between -24 and -28 tomorrow morning. Seriously considering setting the alarm clock at 2 or 3 am to go out and run the car...

I'm not a cold weather person, so I can't imagine what -19 feels like. It's mid to upper 70's in LA today.

How do the SQ's do in weather like that? Do they give you guys a hard time to start? Do you run thinner oil in the winter? Is your radiator filled with mostly antifreeze or only antifreeze?

They run a lot better in the cold, particularly if you have an intercooler. The cold air holds oxygen better, and turbos compress more oxygen when the air is colder (which is why you have an intercooler!) We dont have carbs, so we dont have the cold start problems of some old cars.

<-- this car (the 86) has very little paint(just the stripes on the sides) but at the moment it only has half a motor(stupid poopy cold weather), but no carbs.

Its still frozen outside, but I think it will thaw at some point today.

Don't konw how they effect stock one's, but I was curious on mine being modded / standalone ECT (not that it's even driveable in snow) But I have started mine all the way down to 10 deg so far. Only thing it does is the very first click of the key to turn it over sounds slugish, but fires right to life instantly. Takes me playing with the gas very lightly at first to keep her running but once temp his 40-60 Deg range she's ok to pay less attention to, and once it hits 80-100 you could leave her on her own.

As for oils with modern oils espeicaly synthetics ( all I use anymore) temp is not really a factor anymore, so haven't swapped oils with seasons since I was like 12. I mixed my coolent ruffly 60 coolent 40 distilled water.

Alternator went out on my Trailblazer at my daughters dance class, guess who the lucky guy is that gets to swap in a new one in their parking lot tomorrow in 6 degree temps.

This guy! :(

-N8

Alternator went out on my Trailblazer at my daughters dance class, guess who the lucky guy is that gets to swap in a new one in their parking lot tomorrow in 6 degree temps.

This guy! :(

-N8

Jump it (or swap batteries), get it started, let it warm up. That way you've got a warm motor to work on, and she'll have heat for the drive home when it's done.

We're going all the way to 17 later today..... :)

Edited by vbrad511