job is coming to an end.

importwarrior

well work brought me in and 4 others seperatly and told us the last day of work is April 23rd.

now that i have to be job hunting again i was thinking where would i like to move to.

Also what type of work would i like to do. time to find something i love rather than have to do.

i feel if i make a little less but love the job it wont be so bad.

NOW if any of you got to or had to start over what would you do?

if moving was an option where would you go?

I've changed jobs a few times and have worked in Central Kentucky, Detroit, overseas, Eastern Kentucky and now Charlotte. I went back to school in there, too, so that I could change from doing full-time graphic design to teaching graphic design while still doing design part-time. I make a little less money now than if I had stayed on the other track, but I really enjoy teaching college students and have been happy to make the trade.

As far as places to live - I really like Charlotte. I live closest into the city of all the SQClub members here, and I like that. Charlotte is big enough that there are lots and lots of things to do and people to meet, but small enough that I never feel overwhelmed here like I might in a Chicago or New York City. There are lots of tuner and speed shops around, including some real heavyweights like Underground Racing and all the different outfits that support Nascar teams. The weather here is pretty great, too. Yes, it does get pretty hot for a month or more in the summer, but the rest of the year the weather can be pretty mild. It snowed one day this Spring and one day two years ago, but that's it for snow in the three years I have been here.

Cost of living seems reasonable. The city is a bit expensive, but again, not near as bad as a Chicago or New York. Really, the only drawback I've experienced is that few houses in the neighborhoods and price ranges we were looking at had garages. If we had wanted new construction further outside of the city, we could have had a garage, though.

Good luck!

I think all that depend on what you specialize in. Can't look to go farming in the city you know....

Although there are exceptions. If you are in manufacturing, then you'd probably not go to a deserted island or a 100 acre farm with nothing in sight.

You'd want to go somewhere where your expertise is needed and welcomed.

So what do you do?

NYC?

sys admin network related. i dont live in NY city. sad to say been in ny most my life but actually never been to NYC yet.

i lived in Rochester NY, Las Vegas for 4 years, back to Rochester. now in Washington DC.

been basically around the world. tired of the travel and burnt out on computer systems.

it will be nice to have some time off. just planning ahead before the deadline comes.

i also have a great trip coming next week if they still send me. it will be my last but it is great.

cant wait.

Charlotte sounds nice i did look down there for work. heat is not a problem i lived in Las Vegas.

i have not visited charlotte. would like to go see some history. no snow is always nice.

Edited by importwarrior

• 10 months later...