Aussie Roller Cam

Tim_C.

Well, I finally got one of the roller cams from Australia. It comes out to .432 lift with 1.6 roller rockers. I won't have time to get it installed in a car until spring. I will get one up to my grinder to see if he can measure everything so we know all the specs on it.

Maybe someone else has already done all this, but I haven't heard so I thought I would at least post the lift. It is the same intake and exhaust.

The overall lobe height is .10 more than our factory slip rocker cams, so it should preload the lifters just fine. So far, it is sure worth a try to see how it runs. It should be a bolt-in with the 1.6 rockers.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet!! if you ever make some of these, i would deffinetly be up for this set up. i always wondered about the roller rocker set ups.

Daniel

Cool keep us posted.

Does the profile look more like a "roller" cam or is it similar to the slipper cam?

Also if this becomes popular as a drop in, or a better core for a re-grind (less reduction of the base circle)... How available are these? Are they rare? Are there any aussy "new" or "re-mans" available?

Yes, it is the roller cam that is OEM on some magna heads.

Yes, it is definitely a full roller lobe with a steep ramp and wide full open duration. Availability is limited from what I was told.

is the 1.6 rocker the standard for the sussie head and cam , i mean is our 1.6 3.0 rocker the same use'd on the 2.6 aussie roller or is it mate'd with the 1.6 and not with it's oem rocker

I should have a complete head in a few weeks with rockers and the roller cam. I will post the info once I get it.

Kevin

Edited by TurboRaider

Thanks Kevin. I haven't had a chance to look any closer yet. My '87 was torn apart in my friend's shop so I had to get it back together before going out of town for a week.

The rockers have the 1 - 3 markings on them from what I was told. I would think they are the same as the 3.0L, but we'll see. I have a full head coming too.

Shelby: When the dust settles so to speak and I can get a few minutes, I'll get one of the cams and rockers out to you. Probably next Monday, one week and one day from now.

These cams are Mitsubishi roller design. One issue that may come up is the placement of the roller (on rocker) to the lobe on the cam. The roller lobes are quite thin (front to back) so the rocker better stay well centered on it.

Thanks Kevin. I haven't had a chance to look any closer yet. My '87 was torn apart in my friend's shop so I had to get it back together before going out of town for a week.

The rockers have the 1 - 3 markings on them from what I was told. I would think they are the same as the 3.0L, but we'll see. I have a full head coming too.

Shelby: When the dust settles so to speak and I can get a few minutes, I'll get one of the cams and rockers out to you. Probably next Monday, one week and one day from now.

sounds good, be sure to let me know the $$ info

Is this a turbo cam? I have been reading the requirements for N/A cams vs Turbo Cams make them non-interchangable. Testing should show where the gains are. Cant wait for you to follow up on this Shelby, I know you will be able to dial it in properly and all the smaller details .

I would love a roller setup with a good turbo grind that includes no or low overlap, great lift and duration. Stock pattern with a little more lift would be sweet in a roller setup. I know how much attention Shelby pays to details, so Im sure he will be able to evaluate the performance fairly!

Edited by Dcrasta

I thought you guys already had the roller cam setups sorted?

I have a few stock setups sitting around at home, no good for performance as is, But I have drawn up the cam and some rockers with plans to have some nice grinds.

I know some have made bilit roller cams in order to get some good specs here.

The magna rollers are also a different ratio to the V6 rockers from memory. 1.5 vs 1.6 i think, but dont quote me, its been a long time since i checked it all out.

At the end of the day i thought id just make the full setup custom with mech tappets instead of the hydraulic.

oh my god , damn man your not dead,, talk about a voice from the past

how the hell ya been Glenn :spacecraft: :jumping0045:

actualy i have been trying to find out for sure what the magna rocker ratio was, if it's a 1.5 then our 1.6 arms will throw off the cam profile some , a few of us are looking for a stock cam with a rooler grind that will be reliable not nessarrily as an increase in performance

if it'd keep in line with the oem na cam we have that'd be super

oh my god , damn man your not dead,, talk about a voice from the past

how the hell ya been Glenn :spacecraft: :jumping0045:

actualy i have been trying to find out for sure what the magna rocker ratio was, if it's a 1.5 then our 1.6 arms will throw off the cam profile some , a few of us are looking for a stock cam with a rooler grind that will be reliable not nessarrily as an increase in performance

if it'd keep in line with the oem na cam we have that'd be super

:) Hey Shelby! It has been a while!!!, Often wander how ya going these days. Have not seen you on MSN/ICQ for a long time?

If its an OEM kinda profile people want then its an OEM grind they will get :) shouldnt need to many after a particular grind to make it cheaper than OEM parts.

Thanks Dcrasta!

Im happy to Get back into it, I have been preoccupied with the family company and hanggliding the last few years:) that hasn't stopped, but im digging back into all my old 2.6 project cars now, So this stuff will develop as a byproduct of that anyway :)

Man please come back. I remember you from way back. Now the membership is going crazy with ideas that just dont work. NO one reads anymore, or seems to have a basic understanding of things. I feel sad. Now with you old timers coming back maybe these new guys can learn a thing or two.

I think a roller profile simular to the stock grind but with a more aggressive opening and closing ramp, slightly more duration, more lift will give us what we are looking for. Oh, can you add to my book thread ? Comments or recommendations.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85686

Man please come back. I remember you from way back. Now the membership is going crazy with ideas that just dont work. NO one reads anymore, or seems to have a basic understanding of things. I feel sad. Now with you old timers coming back maybe these new guys can learn a thing or two.

I think a roller profile simular to the stock grind but with a more aggressive opening and closing ramp, slightly more duration, more lift will give us what we are looking for. Oh, can you add to my book thread ? Comments or recommendations.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85686

Old timers?, damn it Dc, glen's not even my age, IIRC. We did that first intake GP back in like 2001, not forever ago, really.

Good to see you around, Glen.

I think a roller profile simular to the stock grind but with a more aggressive opening and closing ramp, slightly more duration, more lift will give us what we are looking for.

that is exactly what im talken about right there ^^

DC you took the words right out of my mouth. i would looove to have a roller cam set up like that.

Daniel

Chip it took a few years for that gp to become a reality,,back in the summer of 99 talk was just begining , any way 10 yrs is a long time on a car forum ,

i remember Cookie (aussie member ) did leg work going to the yards and looking at a posible intake and gave me the phn number to them so i could order me one and take a look first hand at it

a cheap intake and later the comeing along of a cheap ecu made it very posible for nearly any one to go MPi , props to all that had a hand in that comeing to be

and DC thanks but i'm not the man for that,, Tim C and Chad are far better at

working up a cam set up , me i just ask dumb questions ;)