Best place to tap power wire

TexasQuest

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me I would go to a different one for each gauge. I'm sure it would be fine to hook both up to the same fuse thought. Take a volt meter and look for 12v when key is on only takes a few minutes to find a different power source if you don't wanna run them together.

Dang never thought of that ucw. Would it be ok to run both gauges off the same circuit from the fuse box?

You can run both on the same fuse. I am doing the same. The gauges don't use much power.

Also tap the gauge light into the dimmer switch output. So they come on and dim just like the rest of the dash.

No need for a gauge light, completely digital. Thanks tho. :)

It has a dimmer function though right? My LC1 gets a wire from the dash lights and that triggers the gauge to dim the LCD display.

I also ran a switch for the power wire to my gauge. That way on long trips I can turn that bright arse gauge off so it doesn't bother me at nite. Also attracts less cop attention that way.

If it were me I would go to a different one for each gauge. Take a volt meter and look for 12v when key is on

Agreed. If you want to splice into the Fuse Block, use Fuse no.13 or 14. Both are IG1(Black/White wires) and are rated at 10 amps each.

Bill

If it were me I would go to a different one for each gauge. I'm sure it would be fine to hook both up to the same fuse thought. Take a volt meter and look for 12v when key is on only takes a few minutes to find a different power source if you don't wanna run them together.

Agreed. If you want to splice into the Fuse Block, use Fuse no.13 or 14. Both are IG1(Black/White wires) and are rated at 10 amps each.

Bill

The wire supplied for typical digital gauges is rated for about 1 amp. The gauge itself only draws a couple milliamps when on. There is plenty of buffer current capacity on any of the fuses in the fuse box to run several digital gauges. My LC1 is running on the #9 lighter fuse. The LC1 manual states it needs a minimum 5 amp fuse. Never blown a lighter fuse.

The #9 lighter fuse is the best one to use. Especially if you never use the cig lighter to light a smoke. The FSM says the lighter is rated for 10 amps. If you never use it for more than a phone charger then there's plenty of power left for an instrament cluster full of digital gauges.

My point is research the circuit you want to tap into before doing so. That will tell you if it can handle what you want to run. Don't just assume it can or can't handle your accessories. Fewer wire taps and connections means fewer potential electrical gremlins.

It's not a simple (or should not be done) by just tapping into key on power. In particular for your O2 heater. The 02 sensor should only be heating when car is in a run condition. If you have it wired to heat key on, then you risk heating it without the car running, it will be hot and can get hit with water vapor on start up and crack / ruin your 02 sensor.

It has a dimmer function though right? My LC1 gets a wire from the dash lights and that triggers the gauge to dim the LCD display.

I also ran a switch for the power wire to my gauge. That way on long trips I can turn that bright arse gauge off so it doesn't bother me at nite. Also attracts less cop attention that way.

Not sure it has a dimmer function, haven't got it yet to read the directions. Phil they are both going into a pillar gauge pod. So the cig lighter only sees power with key on?

The wire supplied for typical digital gauges is rated for about 1 amp. The gauge itself only draws a couple milliamps when on. There is plenty of buffer current capacity on any of the fuses in the fuse box to run several digital gauges. My LC1 is running on the #9 lighter fuse. The LC1 manual states it needs a minimum 5 amp fuse. Never blown a lighter fuse.

The #9 lighter fuse is the best one to use. Especially if you never use the cig lighter to light a smoke. The FSM says the lighter is rated for 10 amps. If you never use it for more than a phone charger then there's plenty of power left for an instrament cluster full of digital gauges.

My point is research the circuit you want to tap into before doing so. That will tell you if it can handle what you want to run. Don't just assume it can or can't handle your accessories. Fewer wire taps and connections means fewer potential electrical gremlins.

My Uego utilizes a 10 amp fuse off of a 10 to 18 volt power source. I have a problem with hooking up two gauges to a 10 amp Fuse Block when AEM tells you to run a separate 10 amp source. My suggestion for using the Fuse Block no. 13 and 14, and using only one of those per gauge makes sense. After all. They are only 10 amps each. Using a inline 10 amp fuse for each of your gauges is recommended. Fuse no. 9 is a Accessory fuse on the fuse block and is rated at 15 amps. So, if your Gauge is rated to 10 amps and a short occurs.....Your wires to your 10 amp rated gauge will reach 15 amps...And that is enough to fry your wires. Besides that. I gave the membership the fuse blocks to hook up to safely (Fuses no.13 and 14) Both are hooked up to the Black/ White wire off of Ignition Switch 1. ACC. wires (Fuse no.9) are not. So, if your sitting in a parking lot with your radio (Fuse no.11) on ACC at a stand still (via your Ignition Switch), your Wideband will also be on.....Makes sense to me :(

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Innovative seperates them. The LC1 gets a 5 amp powersupply. The DB gauge gets another that only uses a few milliamps. Besides, only a wideband can draw 5-10 amps. Oil, temp, volts, pyro, etc etc only draw a few milliamps. How many widebands do you need on a 4 cyl.

If you want your gauges to come on when your car does.....Use fuse nos.13 or 14. Most SQ owners utilize the Black/White ignition wire to hook up their gauges. Fuse Block nos.13 and 14 come off of the Black/White wires, Ignition1.

I personally don't care how a member drains or fills their Manual Transmission. I just try to give practical advice according to the FSM to those who care about doing it the correct way.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

It's not a simple (or should not be done) by just tapping into key on power. In particular for your O2 heater. The 02 sensor should only be heating when car is in a run condition. If you have it wired to heat key on, then you risk heating it without the car running, it will be hot and can get hit with water vapor on start up and crack / ruin your 02 sensor.

Using a 12 volt Switched Ignition source works for the Heated Three-Wire O-2. Black/White wire (switched) or the Blue wire (switched) spliced into the Window Wiper motor will work fine.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Using a 12 volt Switched Ignition source works for the Heated Three-Wire O-2. Black/White wire (switched) or the Blue wire (switched) spliced into the Window Wiper motor will work fine.

Bill

Will work yes.... done correctly NO. To do it correct the O2 heater must only heat when in a run state. Otherwise you risk heating it while motor is stone cold... IE you turn ignition on but don't start, (heater starts heating) and then you start the car pushing moisture in the exaust and you can crack or ruin the then very hot 02 sensor (thermal shock).

You of all people beating us over the head on doing stuff right should be the one fighting for this.

Edited by jszucs