Got pulled over this morning

jisleyjr

So on my way to work this morning i got pulled over. Initially he was complaining about my exhaust being too loud. I proceeded to argue with him that it was legal and he should have heard it before the muffler. He said it is too loud because there isn't a resonator inside. I have 3" Magnaflow, straight through design. He let me off with a warning though. He also said that the engine should be louder then the exhaust, so right as he said that i had a valve start ticking. I kinda laughed, "oh ya", he did not seem amused.

I asked how long i had until i needed to fix it. He said 14 days.

Is there anything out there that isn't as noticable? I had a Flowmaster Series-44 2.5" before this and it was just as loud as this. I was looking at a hooker aero, http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...&hl=muffler, but it sounds loud too.

Was he just being a d*** because he could?

Edited by jisleyjr

i know in TN, the cop has to verify the volume at 10 feet using a dB meter. without that he can SAY it's too loud without any way to actually prove that it is beyond the legal limit.

This isn't Fargo but thought it may be relevant

Police to Target Loud Mufflers

Bismarck Police to Target Loud Mufflers

The Bismarck Police Department announced today it will increase enforcement activity against operators of vehicles with loud mufflers beginning August 1st. Enforcement action will include selective enforcement and increased emphasis on these violations by patrol/traffic officers while on normal patrol. The Department recently purchased additional sound meters for use in enforcing muffler/exhaust noise violations and each squad car should have a sound meter in it.

Department personnel continue to receive complaints about excessively loud vehicle muffler/exhaust noises. These complaints increase during the warmer months when residents spend more time outside and when they are more likely to sleep with windows open.

There are several ordinances that apply to loud mufflers. The legal level of muffler noise for vehicles with a gross weight rating of ten thousand (10,000) pounds or less and motorcycles to be operated on streets and highways in Bismarck is 80 dB (A).

Bismarck City Ordinance 8-10-04 establishes the noise level of passenger vehicles and motorcycles at 80dB (A) measured at 25 feet (vehicles with a gross weight rating of ten thousand pounds or more are 88 dB (A).)

Motorcycles are governed by City Ordinance 12-14-02. This ordinance references Century Code 39-27 which is the motorcycle chapter. Chapter 39-27 says that motorcycles operated on the streets and highways must meet the noise decibel limitations as established by the environmental protection agency. The EPA limit is 80 dB (A) for street motorcycles manufactured after 1986.

If you come to the PD to have your muffler/exhaust noise measured, and it fails, you will be issued a warning ticket with 20 days to comply.

The penalty for loud mufflers on cars/motorcycles is a $40 fine, and two points if the vehicle was moving.

Bismarck Police will precede the enforcement efforts with an educational campaign to inform the public of the noise restrictions with a goal of achieving voluntary compliance with the muffler ordinance.

here it is

Noise

The City of Fargo has ordinances which protect citizens from unreasonable noise levels.

Loud music in vehicles

Many cars on the road today have very high-powered sound systems which can easily exceed the maximum allowed limit: 80 dB measured at 25 feet from the vehicle. Fargo Police can issue citations for loud car stereos. Violations can result in a misdemeanor conviction in Municipal Court and a maximum $1000 fine. To file a complaint, call the Fargo Police Department at 701-235-4493.

Noisy party or gathering

When two or more people get together in a residential area between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am, noise or music must be kept to a reasonable level. Any unreasonable noise which is likely to cause significant discomfort or annoyance to neighbors is a violation of city ordinances. Noise which can be clearly audible at a distance of 50 feet from the building, or in the case of apartment buildings, in the adjacent hallway or apartment, is considered to be unreasonable noise.

Fargo police can issue citations for noisy parties and order those attending to disperse. Violations can result in a misdemeanor conviction in Municipal Court and a maximum $1000 fine. To complain about excessive noise from a party, call the Fargo Police Department at 235-4493. They will send out an officer to investigate. If you live in rental housing, you should also notify your landlord about the problem.

Mowers/Snowblowers

To complain about noise from mowers or snow blowers that are operating during the "quiet hours" (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.), call the Fargo Police Department at 701-235-4493.

New Construction

To complain about excessive noise from a construction project, call the Fargo Police Department at 235-4493. They will send an officer to investigate. There are several ordinances relating to construction, and the officer will need to evaluate the situation to determine which ordinance would apply. Also keep in mind that some construction projects, especially large public works projects, may have made application for an exemption to the noise ordinances.

well...that wasn't exactly it but it provides a number to call. I would fight it or go get your exhaust sound measured. 80db seems to be state standards. He can't give you a fix it ticket based off ear and sight. He has to measure it...

Nice work, i'll give them a buzz over lunch. Thanks for finding that.

If you come to the PD to have your muffler/exhaust noise measured, and it fails, you will be issued a warning ticket with 20 days to comply.

The penalty for loud mufflers on cars/motorcycles is a $40 fine, and two points if the vehicle was moving.

If you go to the PD to get your sound measured and you fail how cruel is it of them to give you a ticket. It is one thing to be pulled over.

And also to give 2 points for a moving vehicle? Of course it is moving, you are driving...

Nice work, i'll give them a buzz over lunch. Thanks for finding that.

If you go to the PD to get your sound measured and you fail how cruel is it of them to give you a ticket. It is one thing to be pulled over.

And also to give 2 points for a moving vehicle? Of course it is moving, you are driving...

lol thats straight up retarded

lol thats straight up retarded

not as retarted as when your entire exhaust fell out from under your car in front of a cop :lol:

That seriously does suck though, but unless he officially measured the exhaust dB level he's got nothing.

Hell my exhaust sets off alarms.

My exhaust was ridiculously loud.. but, if I ever saw a cop.. I shifted to a higher gear and drove slowly. LOL, it kind of deadened the sound. -shrugs-

I had a *DM 3" exhaust/DP with no cats.

here it is

When two or more people get together in a residential area between the hours of 10 pm and 6 am, noise or music must be kept to a reasonable level.

I guess if you are by yourself, you can crank it up all you want!

Found this on a pdf on the cityoffargo.com website

11-0205. Motorized vehicles.--It shall be unlawful to operate a motorized vehicle within the

city limits which creates a noise or sound which exceeds the noise level limits set out in Table 2, as

follows:

TABLE 2. LIMITING NOISE LEVELS FOR MOTOR VEHICLES

A. Trucks, buses, construction equipment, or any motor vehicle with a gross

weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more: Maximum allowable limit: 88

dB(A) measured at or corrected to 25 feet.

B. Passenger cars, pickups, vans, motorcycles, snowmobiles, or any motor

vehicle with a gross weight rating less than 10,000 pounds: Maximum

allowable limit: 80 dB(A) measured at or corrected to 25 feet.

C. Interstate Motor Carrier:

Maximum allowable limit:

1. 92 dB(A) measured at or corrected to 25 feet when traveling

on roadways with speed limits of 35 mph or less.

2. 92 dB(A) measured at or corrected to 25 feet when traveling

on roadways with speed limits of more than 35 mph.

Source: 2017 (1981).

I had an '80 chevy malibu with rusted out exhaust and a cop got behind me once, and I figured if he's tailing me this close, he's just going to pull me over anyway, so I goosed the throttle a bit and he flipped his lights on.

I got a fix it ticket, and had it fixed for 129 bucks, brought it back and they removed the ticket.

Sadly I never asked them to verify it with a sound level meter. I would go to sight on sound or one of the other car-audio shops around fargo or moorhead and ask them if they have a sound pressure level meter. Many places do because they hold competitions sometimes. If they do, ask if they will measure your exhaust note from up close and 25 feet back at idle and at 3000 rpm.

If you are lucky, they will help you out, and you can get some baseline numbers for your system.

the other option is to make yourself a removable baffle like they have in some mufflers, just a flat plate with a smaller diameter pipe for the exhuast to get out. heh.

So if 80db is basically stock then 1) The cop was right and didnt need to measure it and 2) your screwed

@2: Ha!

What blows is that he got me on my way to work, the fastest route i could find, so i drive it every day. Looks like i might need to switch things up.

@2: Ha!

What blows is that he got me on my way to work, the fastest route i could find, so i drive it every day. Looks like i might need to switch things up.

Just down shift like I have to here in CA, I know it blows but I have not gotten any tickets for it for 6 years now. And the cops are ALL JACK HOLES here!!!

I had an '80 chevy malibu with rusted out exhaust and a cop got behind me once, and I figured if he's tailing me this close, he's just going to pull me over anyway, so I goosed the throttle a bit and he flipped his lights on.

I got a fix it ticket, and had it fixed for 129 bucks, brought it back and they removed the ticket.

Sadly I never asked them to verify it with a sound level meter. I would go to sight on sound or one of the other car-audio shops around fargo or moorhead and ask them if they have a sound pressure level meter. Many places do because they hold competitions sometimes. If they do, ask if they will measure your exhaust note from up close and 25 feet back at idle and at 3000 rpm.

If you are lucky, they will help you out, and you can get some baseline numbers for your system.

the other option is to make yourself a removable baffle like they have in some mufflers, just a flat plate with a smaller diameter pipe for the exhuast to get out. heh.

No SPL AND dB are 2 diffrent yet usualy related things. You want a dB meater.

Edited by jszucs

Wow i just looked at the florida law and it says: "(5) NOISE ABATEMENT EQUIPMENT MODIFICATIONS.--

(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device of a motor vehicle operated or to be operated upon the highways of this state in such a manner that the noise emitted by the motor vehicle is above that emitted by the vehicle as originally manufactured.

(B) No person shall operate a motor vehicle upon the highways of the state with an exhaust system or noise-abatement device so modified. "

and it also says that if going lower than 35mph 72 dB A and above 35mph 79 dB A.

i got pulled over in nashville tn one night for excessive exhaust noise in my mustang. it had the stock 2 1/4 exhaust with duel cherry bombs. they gave me a fix it ticket there to but they couldn't do crap for 2 reasons. one the was still registered in VA and since i was in collage it didn't have to be registered in TN. i also took a factory service Manuel in with me and showed it to the judge and asked if he or a clerk would walk outside to inspect to see if it was inspec with the Manuel.

they throw the ticket out and pissed the cop off really bad after that i would see him almost every morning as he would follow me to class waiting for me to do something.

I got pulled over last week on my way to work, actually I made to work and parked when they pulled up behind me. Something about my exhaust being too loud and going too fast???!! (HKS DP w/ flex section 2.5 piping no muffler, dump pipe just behind the front seats.) I was travelling east bound, he was going west bound, I let off the gas and the car did a popping sound, he turns around.

The rookie cop in the passenger seat comes off all hard, asking about my exhaust. I'm tell em, "I have no muffler, no cat, it got stolen" Since that's a common occurance in LA, he tells me to slow down. I was gonna be a prick and ask em how he measured my speed since he was going in the opposite direction!