Starquest Cams

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Bag-O-Chips

Bag-O-Chips

Too close for missles, switching to guns!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Interests:welding toothpicks to battleships.
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:24 PM

I just recieved my 296F from schneider this after noon and I'd like to donate some information, this is from the cam card itself.

Pictures mean nothing at this point since cam profiles are really in the numbers themselves.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I hope this helps some,

-Chips

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

E85, GT4088R, Dual Synapse 50mm wastegates, Apexi AVC-R, Griffin Radiator, 2G Eclipse Flexalite fans, AEM 30-1300, HKS 301 cam, LSP built Marnel head, Del West 1mm oversized Titanium valves, Del West Titanium Valve lock/retainers, LSP Valve Springs, 1600cc injectors, SX AFPR, Fuelab Prodigy 140gph pump, Fuelab Filter, Bag-O-Chips  Twin scroll header, Chad's MPI Manifold, 70mm Throttle, 4.62 gearset, Wiseco .030", R&R Aluminum billet Rods, ARP everything, Toyo R888's.

#22 spoon32

spoon32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:56 PM

Did they make a mistake on that card??? Based on the valve open/close numbers, the centerline is at 114 not 112 which you show in the second to last photo.

#23 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!
  • Model:Other

Posted 26 November 2010 - 01:10 AM

That's how mine looked with lobe separation at 114 and 112 where you should degree the intake lobe to. I asked schneider about the 296 and homie talked me out of it. I'm not upset since the 292 is amazing, but you might want to make sure it doesn't smash the valve stem seals.
Posted Image

#24 Bag-O-Chips

Bag-O-Chips

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 12:04 PM

I'm running a .500" lift set-up so the valve stem seal smash issue should've been cured (HOPEFULLY) I'm starting to notice a trend here... Andrew, I'm nipping at your heels buddy ^_^

E85, GT4088R, Dual Synapse 50mm wastegates, Apexi AVC-R, Griffin Radiator, 2G Eclipse Flexalite fans, AEM 30-1300, HKS 301 cam, LSP built Marnel head, Del West 1mm oversized Titanium valves, Del West Titanium Valve lock/retainers, LSP Valve Springs, 1600cc injectors, SX AFPR, Fuelab Prodigy 140gph pump, Fuelab Filter, Bag-O-Chips  Twin scroll header, Chad's MPI Manifold, 70mm Throttle, 4.62 gearset, Wiseco .030", R&R Aluminum billet Rods, ARP everything, Toyo R888's.

#25 spoon32

spoon32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:24 PM

View PostTechnology, on 26 November 2010 - 01:10 AM, said:

That's how mine looked with lobe separation at 114 and 112 where you should degree the intake lobe to. I asked schneider about the 296 and homie talked me out of it. I'm not upset since the 292 is amazing, but you might want to make sure it doesn't smash the valve stem seals.

Interesting....... makes you wonder how many people have/are getting these things and ending up way out in left field without proper degreeing.

#26 Technology

Technology

TheNerdyProfessor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,394 posts
  • Interests:Lots of boost!

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

View PostBag-O-Chips, on 26 November 2010 - 12:04 PM, said:

I'm running a .500" lift set-up so the valve stem seal smash issue should've been cured (HOPEFULLY) I'm starting to notice a trend here... Andrew, I'm nipping at your heels buddy ^_^
I need to see pics of that engine in your car stat. Lol
Posted Image

#27 StarquestRescue

StarquestRescue

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  • Interests:Mits owner from 1980

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

View PostS.M.B, on 23 November 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

i dont see one cam thats even cut for a race turbo cam. way to much overlap on all but 2 of the banshee style cams
What are you thinking would be good?
2012 fall set up 20g 06  in the stock turbine houseing. 2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  379hp 395 tq TBI Power

2012 spring set up. 18g06 in the stock turbine houseing.  2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  Innovated data logging. 358 hp 393 tq. 12.71 @ 112
2011 set up. 18g05h,  2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  Innovated data logging. 307 hp 360 tq  12.78 @ 112
2010 set up. 18g05h,  2G mas, Lsp 850 / 1400 injectors. Tuned with re flashed afc Neo version 1.104 and Innovated data logging.  297 hp 403 tq.

401 / 427 TBI   Dyno link-----------TBI Power http://www.sqperform....php?topic=33.0-----------Rear Gear link----------2010 Dyno link-------Feedback link

#28 Bag-O-Chips

Bag-O-Chips

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:42 PM

LOL Andrew I'm gonna have to bring this car up to you, have a couple of beers and we'll hit the local track and put some people to shame.  (edit) Bring a the car up, hit the race track and throw down a couple of beers. Drinking before racing is a bad idea lol. :lol:

#29 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

first cam in your list  below the stock cam you have the duration wrong on,,
it open'd 4 degrees early  and close'd 4 degrees early but duration stay'd the same 264  not 256 as state'd

and can you id the  roller grind cams ,,and include rocker arm ratio's use'd  in chart makeing

small note  keeping the intake valve open longer and still useing the same opening degrees means the valve is open longer but on the closeing side of the ramp,,  not a lot of help  in the high rpms where you need the cam advance'd ,,but it does improve the  engines idle

Edited by Shelby, 10 February 2011 - 03:00 PM.

Shelby trance's StarQuest i-x.net
86MightyMax89Tsi, MPi , 20g ;) (sold:( )
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#30 spoon32

spoon32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

View PostShelby, on 10 February 2011 - 02:47 PM, said:

first cam in your list  below the stock cam you have the duration wrong on,,
it open'd 4 degrees early  and close'd 4 degrees early but duration stay'd the same 264  not 256 as state'd

and can you id the  roller grind cams ,,and include rocker arm ratio's use'd  in chart makeing

small note  keeping the intake valve open longer and still useing the same opening degrees means the valve is open longer but on the closeing side of the ramp,,  not a lot of help  in the high rpms where you need the cam advance'd ,,but it does improve the  engines idle

Shelby.... I double checked my excel formulas and camshaft specs, those numbers appear correct to me?????

I actually have quite abit of information to add to this chart, but your requests have already been incorporated. Rather than add rocker info, I'm just going to list lift as lobe lift in the coming revision.

#31 Shelby

Shelby

Rookie

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,164 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:45 PM

View Postspoon32, on 10 February 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

Shelby.... I double checked my excel formulas and camshaft specs, those numbers appear correct to me?????

I actually have quite abit of information to add to this chart, but your requests have already been incorporated. Rather than add rocker info, I'm just going to list lift as lobe lift in the coming revision.

are you sure your thinking right,, you state the intake opening is 21 btdc,, thats 4 degrees early,(advance'd ), so if you move the  intake close point 4 degrees early also,(advance'd), the duration remains the same  264

and lobe lift  in no way id's it as a roller profile or not , in fact the duration and lift chart is of very little use when compairing a roller vers a sliper cam
Shelby trance's StarQuest i-x.net
86MightyMax89Tsi, MPi , 20g ;) (sold:( )
88TSI Silver
89TSI red auto

#32 spoon32

spoon32

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

The opening numbers are BTDC, therefore a larger number indicates and earlier opening. The closing number is ATDC so once again a larger number is a later closing. In simple terms since on the stock cam both numbers are larger..... it will have more duration.

25+59+180=264
21+55+180=256

In regards to your other comment.... I should have been more clear. I am planning on indicating roller grinds separately.... however I am going to switch to lobe lift rather than valve lift since technically the rockers determine the valve lift and there seems to be alot of people who love running 3.0L rollers with slipper cam grinds.  :wacko:

Edited by spoon32, 11 February 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#33 StarquestRescue

StarquestRescue

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  • Interests:Mits owner from 1980

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

Bump, so i can find it quicker.
2012 fall set up 20g 06  in the stock turbine houseing. 2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  379hp 395 tq TBI Power

2012 spring set up. 18g06 in the stock turbine houseing.  2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  Innovated data logging. 358 hp 393 tq. 12.71 @ 112
2011 set up. 18g05h,  2g mas, Neo afc, Versafueler, 1050 / 2000 injectors on E85.  Innovated data logging. 307 hp 360 tq  12.78 @ 112
2010 set up. 18g05h,  2G mas, Lsp 850 / 1400 injectors. Tuned with re flashed afc Neo version 1.104 and Innovated data logging.  297 hp 403 tq.

401 / 427 TBI   Dyno link-----------TBI Power http://www.sqperform....php?topic=33.0-----------Rear Gear link----------2010 Dyno link-------Feedback link

#34 Skullzaflare

Skullzaflare

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hotrods, ratrods

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

needs to be stickied lol
Spark plug elimination kit

#35 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:01 AM

Bumping this to the top so I can find it.

#36 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,094 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:57 AM

The perfect cam is easily attainable. Nothing that over $1000 can't cure, just for the cam. Then, simply build the entire engine around it. nothing that another $6000 or so can't cure. For the record, my cams are no longer available. too many morons on this site that can't seem to understand how to set it up #1, or they have some idea that a cam is going solve all of their tuning problems #2, and I could about go on forever to list all of the stupid stuff people try with cam set-ups. I've been out of that game for over a year now. So yes, there are great gains from MPI and even throttle body tunability, but all of which are better with a cam ground to fit the goal of the builder. Everyone says they have such good HP from a stock cam, why go with a special grind? Because you change your 2000 RPM of usable HP into 3000, 4000, or even 5000+ RPM of usable HP in a wide band that will blow the socks off of any HP with a stock cam. Even a 450+ HP stock cam set-up is very very limited as to its usefulness in the real world. That's why I never put much stock into hi HP numbers for so called bragging rights in whatever 'club' your dyno run qualifies you for. Total BS and has very little to do with clearing ground on a track or open road in the real world. So keep your stock cams in your little dyno world, but realize all gains you make with tunability would be better with the right cam to fit your goals. Remember too that all of the cams I offered were admittedly a bit limited due to the stock core to work with. there is where the big money comes in. If you want to do it right like real racers do, you will need to create your own blank to start from. Do that, and your options are wide open to design the perfect cam. I fully believe there are several people on this site that can easily come up with a much better grind for their goal, than what I offered. It just isn't so easy when all you have to work with is a stock core. Take a stock core to a grinder and have the lobes built up with special weld, and have it ground to your dream specs. it isn't that difficult really, but it costs money and lots of it, and it is a world that I never really saw any future in for me or for the club. Then when you reach your ultimate goal, you can replace the rest of the drive train with parts that can handle it. Nothing that another few thou won't cure. :D
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users