ipod questions

vbrad511

A friend of mine's daughter got an Ipod for Xmas. They've got a computer, but they live out in the boonies, so no internet access. They can't get online to register the player or get itunes, and the player didn't come with software. They've got a boatload of music on their computer, but can't load it. I've got an Iriver player, and dealt with a couple Sansa players, but they've all been flash drive style players. I've been able to right click and format them and then just drag and drop files. Can I do that with the Ipod and not worry about losing the player's firmware? Or will it not work at all? Is there another option?

Thats the one reason I dislike apple brand. You could only use their software, unlike your other mp3 player which are just drag and drop your mp3 files. You'll need the software for the ipod in order to load up the music, also if they want to convert any of their music and load it right to the ipod you will definitely will need their software. This will be the easy way for them to put their music. If they know someone with an ipod that could help them with software. if not let us know.

Funny I got one and when I first plugged it into my pc XP saw it as just another removable drive. I did not try dragging anything to it. Once I ran Itunes setup XP no longer recognizes it as a drive. I figured it would not operate as a thumbdrive...

You can turn it on to work as a harddrive.

You need Itunes to load music. There are some other software that will work but all need to be downloaded. best bet would be to burn it to a DVD or CD and install it that way.

I use MediaMonkey, a program that replaces evil evil iTunes... and it's free. You install the program, plug in the ipod, and drag and drop through MediaMonkey, make playlists and all that good stuff. It's just not evil like iTunes.

Try not to use iTunes if you want to keep your sanity.

-Robert

I use MediaMonkey, a program that replaces evil evil iTunes... and it's free. You install the program, plug in the ipod, and drag and drop through MediaMonkey, make playlists and all that good stuff. It's just not evil like iTunes.

Try not to use iTunes if you want to keep your sanity.

-Robert

Just wanted to clear this up. It's not draging and droping if a program is used. An Ipod will not play files just placed on the device. Also why I would never own one.

There are several other programs that will interface with an ipod but I think the itunes interface is the best for a novice user. If they have "a lot" of music already then just take or send them a digicopy of itunes to install on their computer and talk them through importing all the music on their hard drive into itunes. If not then "tune tools" and "ephpod" are pretty user friendly alternatives.

Properly configured an ipod can ALWAYS remain both an external hard drive AND an itunes player, but you will never access the HDD content by any means other than USB, unless there's some very new software I don't know about. I have 3 video ipods, two 30gb and one 80gb, and have managed to play my ipod movies on my 4Runner nav screen while driving, so I love my ipod, but you do have to drink the apple koolaid if you're going to get the most out of it.

Edited by chiplee

Just wanted to clear this up. It's not draging and droping if a program is used. An Ipod will not play files just placed on the device. Also why I would never own one.

Can you drag and drop with a'pod?? I've got an iTouch that I haxed... and it doesn't do drag and drop for music.

-Robert

With the itunes program I dl'd I can just drag from my folders and drop in the device through the program. I'll try burning them a disc of the program, but I may just have them bring me the tower. Be easier than trying to talk them through things over the phone.

With the itunes program I dl'd I can just drag from my folders and drop in the device through the program. I'll try burning them a disc of the program, but I may just have them bring me the tower. Be easier than trying to talk them through things over the phone.

My guess and just a guess is the Itunes nazis will require an internetz connection. :biggrinumbrella1: