PLAY ON YOUR STEERING WHEEL

does anyone have this problem with their car? if you do, the problem lies in your column & gearbox, there is a part between them called the "JOINT SOCKET", to find out the problem is have someone steer the car slowly & you look between the column & gear box you'll see the column move but not the gearbox... the joint socket is made of 2 parts compress with rubber, i guess the rubber is to absorb the bumps & pressure steering, after years & alot of steering the compress rubber in the socket breaks down & becomes 2 pieces instead of one... you have to take out the entire column  & replace the socket, i strongly advice to buy a NEW one, not a USED one. if you own the service manual look under Steering, it should have a picture of the socket & also removing it... if you have problems concerning your steering before you go & buy a gearbox, or rebuild it, check the joint socket first... hey Moderator's you guys should post this on the FAQ's board, in your own words of course, you guys probably explain it better than me...  ;D ;D ;D

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
   Yeah, I had like six inches of play which was kind of nerve racking while trying to drive with precision.  I tried to find a coupler with not much luck, so while the engine was out, I took the column out and cleaned the coupler.  I've read about some guys using 3M Windo-Weld to repair it.  I just happened to have some left from installing a windshield a couple years ago.  There was the residual Windo-Weld left in the end of the tube that was already dry, so I pulled it out and tried my best to twist it in half or pull it in half.  Let me tell you that once this stuff is dry it is very, very strong.      If your steering coupler is as worn out as mine was  then you should be able to pull the coupler apart revealing what is left of the rubber inside.  This part is not designed to be turned without power steering, which is what I was doing for about a month and it tore up the the rubber inside the knuckle   It's just too much torque on the knuckle and it breaks the rubber up inside.  If you can turn your steering wheel with one finger, that gives you an idea of how much torque is usually on the knuckle.  So I squirted the fresh 3M Windo-Weld out all around where the old rubber was and slid the second part of the coupler back onto the end of the steering column, and let it sit for like a WEEK.  Yeah, a week.  Once this stuff was completley dry I reinstalled the column, then installed my new engine and hit the road.  Well, I've got 600 miles on all of it, with no problems.  I have little to no steering play anymore and it's just easier to drive the car.  So if you can't find a new one, and BTW they can be up to a hunded bucks for this little part, I recommend you try the 3M Windo-Weld to fix it.  If I do have any problems with this fix, I'll be sure to re-post and let you guys know!