8 replies to this topic

#1 anthonytsi

anthonytsi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:25 PM

Six years ago I parked my beloved 87' because it sounded like the timing chain was about to fly apart. As well, it would sputter under WOT almost like a fuel cut. It never drove correct even after spending hours on these types of forums and trying to fix everything that I thought would make my car run like it should.
I knew the repair bill would be around $1200 and during those 6 years many other things came up that trumped the repair on my Conquest. I parked it in the garage. There it sat.
I finally saved up enough to take it to the shop.
I prepped it by draining the gas tank, bleeding the bad gas out of the lines, new fuel filter, new batt and an oil change. I wanted to drive the car to the shop (1 mile away) without spending $100 on a tow.
With all of that done I started it. It ran like crap.
After it got up to temp it smoothed out considerably, and I did not notice the timing chain making any noise.
I thought it would start getting noisy soon.
I drove it to the shop and dropped it off, and went home.
15 minutes later the shop calls me back and says that there is nothing wrong with my car! They test drove it and gave it hell.
The mechanic asked me if I did anything to it before I dropped it off and I told him of the oil change.
He asked me what brand of oil filter I had in it before it was parked and I told him it was a Fram.
He then started explaining to me that those are total crap because the back flow valve in them regularly fail.
He said that something in the engine was starving for oil and the new filter fixed it.
I asked what brand they use and he said "Wix".
With all of that, I drove the car home and gave it hell. It worked great.
I didn't know Fram was crap back then when I parked it, and certainly did not know an oil filter could be the cause of all of that.
Now I am able to drive my beloved Conquest again.
LESSON LEARNED.
Please pass this on.
Maybe this should be a "sticky" post. The mods will make that decision.
Rock on fellow Quest owners.

#2 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:18 PM

I don't use fram anything.

#3 Josh '88

Josh '88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,000 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

I had a similar experience with a Fram oil filter about 15 years ago, I'll never use those again.

On a side note, can you post some pics of your car? I'm about an hour away, cool to see you're somewhat close.
Posted Image

Blue 88, 108k, stock
Red 88, 161k, 207hp/292tq, 14G@18PSI
Blue 88 MPI, 186k, 306hp/412tq (old turbo setup)

My pics of SQC Meets, CLICK HERE

#4 donplayahat

donplayahat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

I used Fram once with my Honda, never again!! I use Puralator gold on everything, best Filter i've used
'88 Conquest TSI black, 5-Speed swap, 3" Turbo-back exhaust, S16G 10psi, 255 walbro pump, S-AFC II, Innovate wideband LC-2, 3SX steel braided brake lines, yet valve elimination kit,
'88 Conquest TSI silver, stock (SOLD)
'91 Honda Accord white, two door, stage 1 exedy clutch, short ram air intake, 2.5" cat. (SOLD)
'72 Honda 600(cars not bike) trying to restore, coupe and sedan.
'14 Ford Fiesta, Silver, 5-Speed, Stock. DD

Posted Image

#5 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:'86 Starion - LS Swap
    '87 Starion - SOLD!!
    '02 Silverado Z71
  • Model:Starion

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Thank you for the advice.  Personally, I have used FRAM oil filters in my vehicles with no ill effects (that I know of).  But, your story caused me to do some research and I found this test.  http://www.austincc....filterstudy.htm  This guy really points out the major deficiencies in the FRAM filters and has info on most others.  I feel much better about buying the cheap ACDelco filter on my last service now :D
I feel like a learned something useful today.  FYI, don't use Pennzoil motor oil EVER......

Edited by EricSQ, 18 April 2017 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

#6 anthonytsi

anthonytsi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:26 PM

View PostJosh, on 17 April 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

I had a similar experience with a Fram oil filter about 15 years ago, I'll never use those again.

On a side note, can you post some pics of your car? I'm about an hour away, cool to see you're somewhat close.
Shoot me your email and I will send pics. For some reason they are to big to import here.

#7 fuel

fuel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

While Fram filters are usually not the best, I don't see how an oil filter would cause the engine to splutter under WOT. I think you changing the fuel filter would have fixed that, if anything.

#8 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!
  • Model:Starion

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

I'm a fan of the Puralator myself.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#9 Zoggy87

Zoggy87

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:54 PM

Wix all day. But to be honest, ever since those guys started opening up fram filters to compare to other brands and showing the low quality and use of cardboard ends, they have changed their materials and designs to near the same as all the other top brands. But the fact they at one point skimped on quality, I stick to wix.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users