bolt in 4g63?

dsm9478

This may be a dumb question but I have always heard that eurospec quests and ones from Japan were offered with 4g63 in them if this is true I was wondering if you could use the motor mounts and the wiring harness/ ecu to swap it into a conquest and if our stock trans would bolt up also I only ask because I have a buddy overseas and if he ever gets a chance he was gonna check a junk yard for me please and thanks.

Speedy is right. The only bolt in option like that is a wideblock 4G64. It came is some gallants and trucks to my knowledge. The 63 is do-able but it requires a bell housing adapter and fabbed mounts at the least.

^Those are 4G64's. The JDM and other markets got the 4G63 Turbo SOHC engine which we never got here stateside. We got the DOHC which came in narrowblock form only in FWD cars. The way we swap in a "4G63" engine in our cars here is taking a 4G64 wideblock engine from a Mighty Max/D50 pickup and slapping on a DOHC 4G63 head from a DSM car. Basically a hybrid build but the 63 and 64 engines are very similar.

Oh okay very nice I'm just looking towards the future lol I'm trying to see what she runs with multiport and a big turbo on the stock motor and then if I want more I was gonna do 4g63 it seems like a good swap and I have owned many talons

there actually is a 4G63 wide block that came in the autos. I almost purchased one.

just didn't have the funds at the time.

86 - 87 Mightymax RWD Auto

http://projectzerog.com/mitsubishi_engines.shtml

http://projectzerog.com/images/members/djpowerhaus/whiteCar/d50transOn4G63micro.jpg

Edited by importwarrior

Thanks everyone im going to to start searching the junk yards and for mightymaxs that r cheap any pointers on how to know if its a 4g63 like is there an engine code on the block anywhere? And the dohc head bolts up perfectly to these wideblock 4g63? Also thanks for the link import warrior

Don't forget the 5 speed manual transmission out of a MMax/D50 with 4G63 is a just a KM132 with a narrow bellhousing. Essentially the same transmission but able to mate to a DSM 4G63. It's not the strongest thing in the world, but if you're just planning on swapping in a lightly modded 4G63 then it's the easiest route.

http://projectzerog.com/transmissions.shtml

Edited by Starfyter

R154 or similar. The stock sq trans will not shift well at the higher rpm range of a 4 g motor. the cost of a suitable trans swap is just one of several hidden costs most fail to consider when blundering in to a 4g swap. And then the rear ratio is wrong for the 4g power band, not to mention the taller gear ratios of a suitable trans.

Done right they turn out nice. But it is neither easy or cheep to do it right.

• Like 1

WHAT ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT???????????

Ofcourse the starion went out with the 4g63 engine only with an 8 valve head.The 4g63 wideblock -euro and japan spec-bolts directly onto the km132 trans with no mods at all.

If you want you can keep the 4g63 widblock shortblock and bolt a vr4,dsm or early evo head and have a 4g63 16v.

The wideblock's engine mounts bolt directly into the stock starion-conquest crossmember

No need to go 4g64.

Probably you need to search my friend a lot before asking something.You will hee many opinion and most of them would be uselless.

Importwarrior posted the link to projectzero.There you will find most of what you need.

Read a lot and very carefully

Edited by EVOMINUS

stock g54s r good performers that will no doubt make u grin..... but how long will it last, at that level (big turbo & mpi) ?

Good luck. If u get sucked in, dedication may hold u for a while longer but.... the swap section popular for a reason.

2.6s r tempermental

Keep track of what multiport will cost ya, and how much u may b able to sell it for if u bail

t3/t4 60-1 (sized correctly) can spool quickly(strong torque) and make solid power up to ~22psi. Good bang for the buck

Stock motor, stock cams(with the limited rpm range), stock gearbox & oe 3.54s all proven to work well together

.....orrr

If u jump to a dsm motor, u may adapt it to the starion gearbox, as this person

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=10602

although that guy chose not to, some rwd 63s run the stock dsm exhaust manifold

projectzero gut a few examples of how quick some ET on oe gbox

The same thing that holds together 4g63 and other motors that came from the factory MPI, is the same thing that will hold the MPI g54b together.

That is the tune.

I am under the impression here that the g54b is a boat anchor even with MPI and a good tune? somebody set me right.

R154 or similar. The stock sq trans will not shift well at the higher rpm range of a 4 g motor. the cost of a suitable trans swap is just one of several hidden costs most fail to consider when blundering in to a 4g swap. And then the rear ratio is wrong for the 4g power band, not to mention the taller gear ratios of a suitable trans.

Done right they turn out nice. But it is neither easy or cheep to do it right.

well said

same thing that holds together 4g63 and other motors that came from the factory MPI, is the same thing that will hold the MPI g54b together.

That is the tune.

I am under the impression here that the g54b is a boat anchor even with MPI and a good tune?

Many invested in mpi, then still swapped eventually

If it was simply a matter of a "good tune", I'd think it would've been far easier and cheaper, to carry on with the 2.6 than to swap

Guess it all depends on the goal of the individual

• 8 months later...

who is many?. Never heard of him lol

can more than 2 people on here raise their hands who went MPI and did not blow up

because of a tuning issue but made 450 plus hp, then swapped to 4g63 and was even happier and made even more power?

Please raise your hands...

Edited by lionbull

in my opinion people who have gone mpi and have good running cars seem to be happy.

but the ones who have swapped seem to make more power reliably.

which seem to make them very happy.

The subject is 4g63.

So the swapped guys went out to get

competent tuners and are now happy, is what I gather, the same were "good running G54B MPI" but not dialed in

The guys still running g45b here who are dialed in, are not swapping and are quite happy as well.