AC condensor, radiator, intercooler spacing....what is ideal?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vanillagorilla

vanillagorilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!
  • Model:Other

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

I need to redo the AC/Radiator/intercooler setup on my swapped car.    As i would like to have AC i will need the AC condenser.    A bracket has to be made so i can attempt to position where optimal.  

I would assume that the AC condensor should be as close to the radiator as possible right?    If they act as one unit it would dissipate heat better?  

What about the intercooler?     should there be a gap between it and the AC condensor?    I would assume Mitsubishi did the best they could from the factor and i should follow the same general placement.  

Suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

#2 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 07 August 2016 - 09:29 AM

I am also replacing my AC condenser.  From stock there is foam on the sides and top to keep air flow to the radiator and not circle back.  My replacement condenser, an aftermarket unit, doesn't fit very well.  I am close to putting in a used stock unit.  The stock one is NLA from Mitsubishi.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#3 mstieg

mstieg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:26 AM

I too am seeking to add a condenser to get the AC system back up & going at some point.  However, I will be needing one from a different donor car to fit between the top in/out 2.5" IC pipes.  Getting it running well comes before AC though.

It's my understanding that mounting it right in front of the radiator is the way to go, as originally placed.  Then a push fan or two on the condenser will function along with the two pull fans of the radiator.

I look forward to hearing more about this including thoughts on the potential gap b/t the condenser and radiator.  My guess is that it won't matter too much if there is some gap.
Before: 352 rwhp @15psi; MPI: SDS EM5F; Chad intake & equal length header; S256 turbo (56/80comp-64/74ex); 48" of 2.5" IC piping
Now Done:  7.5:1 .35 Wiseco rebuild w/ crank scraper; 274 Magna roller cam & 1.55 rockers; mod port AMC head; 1mm>valves; Innovate WB; GM alt/rewired; 3" 240 alum radiator, elec fans; BMW X5 oil separator exh. crankcase vent; gas tank renewed; D2s; sway/strut bars; LT1 T56 clutch & trans swap w/ Fidanza; 4.22 rear; 265 Kumos on SHP rears; new steering pump/box/lines & coupler fix: http://www.starquest...howtopic=139558; full dash/console rewire - Autometer, push start, etc.
In Progress: breakin & tune
Future: Enjoy driving again; meets & local shows; AC; WG reroute from open vent to exh; Water/Meth?; body/paint

FOR SALE:  Rear Camber plates (basic); NIB beefy U-joints(2); etc.see-->  http://www.starquest...howtopic=133262 Custom 5 gauge overlay panel: http://www.starquest...pic=136703&st=0

#4 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,809 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:02 AM

as far as inter-cooler i would follow what mitsu did.
as far as AC condenser and radiator...
keep the condenser as close to the rad as possible seal all outer edges of condenser with window foam sealer stuff.
if too big a gap between the rad and condenser and no foam the air will not flow through your radiator causing the car to run hotter.

this is what i used between my radiator fan shroud and radiator. but it looks similar to what was originally between my ac condenser and radiator core support.
the foam sealer was so old it was crumbling when i removed my condenser.

this comes in many different thickness and widths. home depot or lowes sells it.

Posted Image

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#5 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,809 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

found my old pic. you can see some of the foam sealer in the pic below.
upper right corner in the grass. fell apart when i took out the condenser.

Posted Image

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users