how to set up a dual boot,, win Xp and win7 & seperate hard drvs

Shelby

I want to do the exact same thing. My new computer came loaded with Wins 7. I picked up a nasty virus weeks ago and have my system back up and running (in a limited fashion though). I need to completely reload the OS with some backup discs. I do however have a lot of expensive XP software on my laptop that would be nice to run on this new desktop computer. Unfortunately since the software is older it's not working with Wins 7 (keeps crashing). I was thinking to just buy a XP disc from eBay and forget about 7 all together but maybe a dual boot would be the best of both worlds. I'm not a huge fan of 7 but I think it's just because I haven't dove into it very deep. Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

I want to do the exact same thing. My new computer came loaded with Wins 7. I picked up a nasty virus weeks ago and have my system back up and running (in a limited fashion though). I need to completely reload the OS with some backup discs. I do however have a lot of expensive XP software on my laptop that would be nice to run on this new desktop computer. Unfortunately since the software is older it's not working with Wins 7 (keeps crashing). I was thinking to just buy a XP disc from eBay and forget about 7 all together but maybe a dual boot would be the best of both worlds. I'm not a huge fan of 7 but I think it's just because I haven't dove into it very deep. Any help or suggestions would be awesome!

a little advice about buying an XP disk,, make sure it includes SP2 or SP3 in it already or the pc will not even boot up

and if you have win7 professional or ultimate , it has a built in XP mode you have to down load from microsoft

If you are having problems running older software on Windows 7, right click on the application, then select "Properties."

In the window that pops-up, select the "Compatibility" tab. Select the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode," and pick Windows XP service pack 3. Try running it again, and if you still have issues, step the mode down to Windows 2000.

If the program access the disk drive a lot to write files, you may need to use the "run as administrator" option as well.

XP compatiability mode is an add'd down load for win7 it's not include'd

You are thinking about the virtual XP machine that runs within windows 7 - yes that is a seperate download called "Windows XP Mode" - compatibility mode is built right into Windows 7.

You have to install XP first, and in the install blue screen, setup two partitions on the hard drive. Install XP to one of those.

Then, once the XP install is done, install Windows 7 to the other partition. Its pretty simple really. I have my desktop computer like that.

When you boot it up, you have to make the selection of Earlier Version of Windows, or Windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to install XP first, and in the install blue screen, setup two partitions on the hard drive. Install XP to one of those.

Then, once the XP install is done, install Windows 7 to the other partition. Its pretty simple really. I have my desktop computer like that.

When you boot it up, you have to make the selection of Earlier Version of Windows, or Windows 7.

close

if you have your XP key, figure out if its OEM or normal, you can download unmodified torrents ISO files, for an updated version

first, as above, you will install XP on the drive you want, i recommend formatting both, so when you bring up Win7 its easier to notice

after installing, reboot, run Win7 disc, tell it you are not upgrading, delete the partition on the 2nd drive, and tell it to install

it will automatically setup the dual boot screen, it will default load windows 7 if you dont interrupt it, but you can change that