oil smoke question.

BC_99

I am working on a car for a local guy. 87 SQ stock. It fires up and runs very good. However, it smokes after boost. It is gray/blue oil smoke. If I just barely get into boost, it just gives a small puff. If I run it on up to 7-8psi it gives off a big cloud. It seems to only do it after I lift off of the gas to shift or decel. I am leaning towards turbo seals, but would like to hear some experienced opinions.

BC_99

Also checking the intercooler piping for any signs of oil residue might help you decide if its the turbo or not. It may not be spitting all out the cold side too, but if its leaking on the hotside I'd imagine you would see at least something on the other end also.

check valve seals ...if they havent been replaced............only when a drop of oil gets past the valves seal....it smokes.....

when turbo seal blows it smokes like a freight train......all the time

...mine did the same....replaced valves seals ...fixed it...

get the vitron seal from fel pro...20.00 autozone........

Edited by markhansenconquest

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I drove the car to and from work today, and it runs great. Not a powerhouse, but for a completely stock car, it runs out pretty well. It doesn't smoke during boost, it doesn't smoke before boost, it's just after boost for a second or 2. The higher it boosts, the thicker the smoke. I did a compression check this afternoon when I got it home and it was still warm, and it was 125 across all 4 cyls. I pulled the ovcp and the turbo>IC hose and both were bone dry. No oil residue to speak of. I looked the plugs over well when I was doing the compression check and they show no signs of oil burn or contamination at all.

You guys say that if it were losing oil at the turbo it would smoke all of the time, but it is definitely not on the compressor side and the clean condition of the plugs eliminate a leaky valve seal in my opinion, plus it would likely smoke at startup from a valve stem seal leak. So, could/would it possibly leak/push oil past a seal in the rear of the turbo into the exhaust housing post boost to cause this smoke? That is the only thing I can figure. ANy other ideas and I am all ears to hear them.

I haven't checked the oil separator or pcv yet as I ran out of time and energy this evening. But, I intend to check and make sure they are clean up to par when I get home from work tomorrow, just to eliminate one more thing.

Thanks again for the thoughts and advice so far. Any more?

BC_99

BC, in your post above ( #5 ) you said that it was a completely stock car. Does it still have the jet valves in the head?

One, or more of 'em could be causing the oil smoke problem after turbo boost. Over the years here on SQC, I've read about and seen some wierd things caused by those damn things.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Thanks Ken. I have to assume they are there, but wouldn't that pull the oil into the combustion chamber and show oil burn on the plugs? All I have seen so far that isn't stock is the exhaust. I haven't had the VC off of the car and the owner knows very little about it. I just wanted to install one of my steering coupler replacement U-Joints in this thing and send it down the road for some test miles and ended up working on the thing for a week.

I have checked the oil separator and that system was/is all clean and working properly. I checked the PCV and it was a little crusty and the internal valve was sluggish, but after a bath in my parts washer, it freed right up and is back installed and working fine. I removed the accordion hose and it has some traces of oil in it, and the front of the turbo shows some burnt oil residue and signs of the wheel contacting the housing. It also has a lot of play both side-side and in-out.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20141113_172629_zpslibrutvb.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/20141113_172701_zpsxcapqh3a.jpg

I am done working on this thing though. I was just trying to help the owner a bit, but I have my own cars to work on, and he should be working on this. Thanks for the thoughts and advice guys, I will pass it on to the owner. Any more, please feel free to post them, as I am sure he would appreciate it.

BC_99