My MPI adventure (help required)

Hey guys.

I'm looking to make around 350whp in my starion. (which may be too wishful)

I've got my MPI setup in the works.

Magna mpi manifold with 65mm throttle body

I have a 2.5 inch HKS exhaust, will this be a problem at this power, or will it be fine?

I have a non-jet valve head built to OEM specs, will I need to upgrade anything? (or everything)

I'll have a big ol' intercooler, not sure on the size yet. (and not too big, I know)

I'm thinking I'll need a different BOV, because mine is funky. Maybe an HKS SSQV

I have an aftermarket FPR, but I think it's just adjustable.

I will need a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, I'm sure.

I have a walbro 255 (I know they're not meant for E85, but people run them and have 0 problems)

I would like to be E85.

Which brand/size injectors do you recommend? Will they have a funky idle? (guessing yes, but I'm fine with that, I guess)

(I'm guessing 1000cc injectors)

I'm going to be megasquirt, so that's good.

Do you guys recommend a specific cam? I'd like to be able to get mid-high rev power, as I'm a mountain/canyon junkie.

What turbo do you guys recommend?

Precision 5858?

Journal bearing? Ball bearing??

Please share your experiences, all help is appreciated.

Edited by MasterVivi

For fuel ID1000s, Dual Walbros (or 1 Bosch 044), and a good Adj FPR. I would also do at min -6 fuel line (3/8) that is E85 compatible.

Big ol intercooler...Get a good core and it wont have to big as fughhhh. Look into Garrett, PTE, Spearco, or even Treadstone. Those cores are better than the eBay POSs most run. You can get a 30x8x3.5" core that is good for 500+ HP that will fit nice

Ball bearing vs Journal bearing...Thats a debate that will never die. I personally have used both (PTE and Garrett) and will not even consider a Journal bearing for my personal car. They last longer and have better transient response (tip in) when driving it. Every single turbo we sent back to PTE for warranty or to be rebuilt was a journal bearing. Ive sent 1 ball bearing back for a wheel upgrade (5857 upgraded to a 5858). Bottom line if you can afford it go ball bearing.

The HKS catback is a bit small. I would say 2.5" at minimum. We have done over 400 wheel on 3" downpipe with everything else being 2.5"

BOVs, I run and use TiAL. I hate the SSQ bird chirp. Kind of personal preference I guess but TiALs opening is 50mm so it will flow a lot of air

Edited by RonnieJ

If you want a faster spool

You can make 350 with a

Gtx3071 or smaller GTX2867

The 3076 might be overkill and slower

Spool then the others noted.

As far as stock rebuild. A tTD06 18G

In stock shells

just made 350 HP and 397 TQ

If you want a faster spool

You can make 350 with a

Gtx3071 or smaller GTX2867

The 3076 might be overkill and slower

Spool then the others noted.

As far as stock rebuild. A tTD06 18G

In stock shells

just made 350 HP and 397 TQ

Nice! Does the 18G spool quickly? Another member just picked one off CJ Franger earlier for $400 shipped. Heh. (Bad idea, I know, but that's a good price)

What PSI was being run?

Edited by MasterVivi

Personally I like the GTX3071. The 2867 might be pushed pretty hard to make your goal but spool is amazing. Only experience I have with them is on newer cars with higher compression. From the StarQuest dynos ive seen a cast GT30XX will net you about 350 on moderate boost levels.

Personally im going with a 5862 BB T4 Divided. I love the twin scroll response