IS there a MSD 6AL installation write up

Sully

This search engine sucks. MSD 6AL turns up nothing

Thats because most members dont need extra spark to have their cars running properly. Its just another POS thats not needed. "Yea, but ive got a MSD 6AL installed". Big deal!!!!! I dont need one. And neither do most of the membership on here. Its a big waste of money. $220.00 dollars spent better elsewhere.

CALIBER 308

Edited by JAinsworth
Skirting the Language Filter

Since nobody is answering what is basically the same question that I asked in my thread, I'll jump in on this one. The Summit unit that I bought seems identical to the MSD6AL so I will assume that I wire it the same. What I get out of this is that I can get the 2 wire tach adapter and leave in the knock box/igniter or get the 4 wire adapter and get rid of the knock box/igniter. I would really like to do away with it for no other reason than it will give me a place to install the new ignition module.

I have just one question. Wouldn't that eliminate the knock sensor and its ability to retard the timing in the case of detonation?

Since nobody is answering what is basically the same question that I asked in my thread, I'll jump in on this one. The Summit unit that I bought seems identical to the MSD6AL so I will assume that I wire it the same. What I get out of this is that I can get the 2 wire tach adapter and leave in the knock box/igniter or get the 4 wire adapter and get rid of the knock box/igniter. I would really like to do away with it for no other reason than it will give me a place to install the new ignition module.

I have just one question. Wouldn't that eliminate the knock sensor and its ability to retard the timing in the case of detonation?

Why do you feel that you need more spark???? Or is it just the latest part that you just have to have??? Have you done research into what you will gain by installing it? Or is it just what someone told you to do???? LOOK!!!! All the MSD units do it is provide more spark. Why do you need it??? The stock ignition system provides enough. Look at my modifications. Its about as far as you can go in getting the most out of these cars without going MPI, And I dont have a MSD System installed !!!!! Dont need it, and you dont either. If you did, you would be running MPI, even then, you wouldnt need the MSD. Some people on this site are "Full of it", suggesting the MSD. Keep reading posts here and youll find out who they are !!! P.S. Ive owned Street rods,Race boats, Muscle cars and my Starion. On my Street rods (454 and 350) They were build to the max. on a tunnel ram set up with two 750 double pumper Holleys. I had the MSD Dual point distributor and Mallory Pro coil installed. Never did I have the need for a MSD or any other spark amplifacition. So on a Starquest, spark amplifacition is a moot subject!!!!!!

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

I dont remember touching the knock box when i did mine. and yes if you run the 8920 adapter you can ditch the ignitor box. Also for those who dont like aftermarket ignition systems, it also serves as a rev limiter (adjustable). My 6al works great and if i miss a gear it keeps my motor from over reving.

It is actually quite obvious who here is full of themself.

I actually purchased it primarily as a rev limiter because my 17 year old son is going to start racing it and I would like to keep him from over-revving it, especially during the burn-out. I expect to get a little better idle as well.

Edited by FlattopMike

Why do you feel that you need more spark???? Or is it just the latest part that you just have to have??? Have you done research into what you will gain by installing it? Or is it just what someone told you to do???? LOOK!!!! All the MSD units do it is provide more spark. Why do you need it??? The stock ignition system provides enough. Look at my modifications. Its about as far as you can go in getting the most out of these cars without going MPI, And I dont have a MSD System installed !!!!! Dont need it, and you dont either. If you did, you would be running MPI, even then, you wouldnt need the MSD. Some people on this site are "Full of it", suggesting the MSD. Keep reading posts here and youll find out who they are !!! P.S. Ive owned Street rods,Race boats, Muscle cars and my Starion. On my Street rods (454 and 350) They were build to the max. on a tunnel ram set up with two 750 double pumper Holleys. I had the MSD Dual point distributor and Mallory Pro coil installed. Never did I have the need for a MSD or any other spark amplifacition. So on a Starquest, spark amplifacition is a moot subject!!!!!!.

Look at my modifications.

Next time you say "Look at my modifications" I'm going to... :character0269:

You have no proof your car is any faster than stock. "Look at my modifications" is not proof.

No 1/4 times, no dyno, because you said it would be to hard on your car.

You also have no proof that a hotter spark would not increase your performance or any others.

Not to mention a rev limiter and extra timing control.

Give us a break man!

Some people on this site are "Full of it" Keep reading posts here and youll find out who they are !!!

We dont need to keep reading. Once we read your posts, we know!

Edited by PDX87Starion

I have the MSD on my red car. Along with the rev limiter options it actually smoothed my idle out and the car seems more responsive. I haven't dyno'd it yet so I can't say for a fact that it helped anything other than the idle and over-rev prevention.

Jimmy

I spent $145 for my Summit unit and they claim to be better than the MSD. They are a pretty reputable company so I have to think they are at least as good. If I get the peace of mind of a rev limiter and a smoother idle, it will be well worth it.

Now, does anyone have any constructive opinions on whether I should go with the 2 wire or 4 wire tach adapter?

Cal i am going to buy one of these just to spite you. Every thread that talks about MSD you have to jump on and say how it isn't needed. :deadhorse:
Your money would be better spent elsewhere.

CALIBER 308

It is actually quite obvious who here is full of themself.

I actually purchased it primarily as a rev limiter because my 17 year old son is going to start racing it

So, the MSD unit will save your car from your 17 year old son..... LOL.

CALIBER 308

I have the MSD on my red car. Along with the rev limiter options it actually smoothed my idle out

Jimmy

We all have a rev limiter. Its called your right foot and the RPM Gauge. As far as the idle goes. If you cant adjust it correctly, thats on you. Mine idles fine without the MSD. The money would be better spent elsewhere.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Next time you say "Look at my modifications" I'm going to... :character0269:

You have no proof your car is any faster than stock. O.K. What ever you want to believe is your choice.

Not to mention a rev limiter and extra timing control.

Is your Right foot amputated????? Or is it that your RPM Gauge is disconnected. I set timing by a Timing light, that all I need. If you cant get your car running properly without installing a Multiple Spark Displacement unit, Yea. Thats what MSD stands for. Youve got a problem and your masking it with a MSD unit. I DONT NEED ONE !!!!! Because I do my homework !!!!! You dont like me saying: "Look at my modifications" Well, Its to help out members who think they need a part to make their car run better, that they dont really need. Just because someone else installs something, doesnt mean that thats the normal procedure.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Thats because most members dont need extra spark to have their cars running properly. Its just another POS thats not needed. "Yea, but ive got a MSD 6AL installed". Big deal!!!!! I dont need one. And neither do most of the membership on here. Its a big waste of money. $220.00 dollars spent better elsewhere.

CALIBER 308

I want it for the rev limiter. IMagine going 100 mph on a backstretch into a tight right hander, Shifting into a higher gear would slow you down so you decide to stay in the gas. A rev limiter would be nice to bounce off of instead of glancing down at the tach.

I also have a 2 step that I was going to sell but I decided to keep it, should be molehills.

Is that enough reason for ya? Your right foot scenario may be good for people that don't go over 50 MPH. Some like the peace of mind. Like I said.... I don't want to take my off the track to look at the tach. That seems pretty dangerou to me.

Edited by Sully

You starting unnessesary fights again caliber?

Apparenlty you have never hit a slick spot in the road under full acceleration. A well built G54B can go from 4000 to 10,000 RPM in a 1/4 of a second, far saster than your foot can move. We all know your motor will take that, but most of the rest of us prefer to use a rev limiter. I have high my limit of 8200 several times, and I do watch my revs, start making real power with a light reciprocating assembly and it becomes an issue...

I've hit said slick spots and thanks to my revlimiter I've never done any motor damage. I've fragged a few tarnnies from that, but those are easy to replace.

About 9 years ago I swapped out my ignitor for a crane cams digital setup and crane race coil. It worked well after I sorted out the tach adapter part. I did it mostly for the rev limiter, but a big pieceo f it was piece of mind that I was not depending on a 20 year old part that had failed on me before (on more than one quest). Stock ignitors suck form a relibility standpoint.

A refrence for others to use as needed:

If I post a response to your question, and you think im wrong. Post back and say I dont need your advice. That should solve 99% of the problem with some members ganging up on me.

CALIBER 308

You starting unnessesary fights again caliber?

Nope, Just giving my opinion like everybody else does on this site.... What !!!! I cant do that?????? If so, You had better shut down this site to all responses to posts. Yours and PDX Starions comments aren't the only ones on here...... If you don't like my responses, the best thing to do is ignore them...

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Here's an example http://videos.streetfire.net/video/RallyX-...al-MI_99363.htm

High centered in a snow drift at 8:20. BUzzed it a bit..... The 2 previous runs I did the samething but this time I went in a bit deeper. Now a days it would have been much worse. I would've had the pedal to the floor instead.

Edited by Sully