TBPRO Cant get to idle...drive etc

BOHO

Hey guys...I've got the car running but it idles extremly rough and if you give it any gas it dies out quick. I tried leaning it out some with req fuel and on ve table but It doesn't help....Its reading all sensors but I don't know what i'm doing with Megatune...I have 2.20...off FIP's site...Should I dl 2.25? Can someone post a link for me? Thanks guys.

Braden

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can't help you with the link but you will need to pay very close attention to the spark plugs unti it's running rite, #1 and #4 gave me problems. i found a happy place with ngk 7es gapped at 036.

Thats the first thing I'm going to do is change the plugs out...I had to run home to try and sell my bike..but will be giong back tommorow probably with fresh plugs....a couple of sets anyways...

hows teh fuel pressure?

I had a similar issue but the required fuel setting, (which I set to 4.7... fixed it)

change the plugs, lean out the required fuel and see if your stock fuel regulator is good.

Get on the 2.25 and more of us could probably help, as you could see by Zac's tuning post on here, it helped him a lot going to 2.25.

And 2.20 is still on TEPs site? strange, here's one place I found 2.25, see if it works for you, get MegaLogViewer while your there also if you don't have it, you can read your datalogs on it

http://www.diyautotune.com/softwarelinks.htm

can't help you with the link but you will need to pay very close attention to the spark plugs unti it's running rite, #1 and #4 gave me problems. i found a happy place with ngk 7es gapped at 036.

That is EXACTLY what I'm running, same gap :D

My "required fuel" was set at 9.8 from FIP,(Ran pig rich everywhere) I lowered it little by little to 8.6, which seems the best so far. THEN, leave it alone, and work on the VE table.

Does the car die while it's warming up? Or ANYTIME you give it gas?

I was looking for an easy answer, BUT there was none, every combination requires different numbers :evil: . So I dug into the manuals for weeks until it made some sense. Then, very gradually, I started applying it all a little at a time. Changing a lot of stuff all at once made it run like crap :evil: Get it idling good first on the VE table. :wink:

Mine is still not EXACTLY where I want it, but getting there.............

Zack 8)

My req. fuel is set at 9.8. It will start and idle but extremly rough. any change in throttle and it will die. If I go any higher it will usually start instantly but die instantly also...if I go any lower I have to apply throttle to get it to start.... I have the stock FPR....How big of a problem is this?

My req. fuel is set at 9.8. It will start and idle but extremly rough. any change in throttle and it will die. If I go any higher it will usually start instantly but die instantly also...if I go any lower I have to apply throttle to get it to start.... I have the stock FPR....How big of a problem is this?

Simple :D You have too much fuel at 9.8, when you give it gas, there's even more gas going in. It doesn't stay running if you lower the req. fuel because your afterstart AND warmup enrichmnets are off (mine were, too)Try lowering the "Required fuel" to 8.8, the "afterstart enrichment" to 55% and 250 cycles.

Then bump up all the "warmup enrichments" from 100 degrees all the way down to 0 degrees to 10 to 15 numbers higher than what it came with.

Do you have the stock ISC still on the car? Is your TPS calibrated in MT?

(It should be done whether you have the ISC or not)

If you don't have an ISC, you have to keep your foot on the gas for a few minutes at least at 1500RPM :cry:

I have a thread in AVM called "TB-Pro2R tuning". On the first page I have all my settings posted.

I found that it's not one big thing that makes it run like crap, it's a bunch of small ones not working together as a unit :?

The FIP ECU comes with a "baseline" program, the rest is up to you if you've done any mods, you have to re-adjust some settings to account for them :wink:

Good luck, Zack 8)

ISC is on the car but not hooked up...Havn't fixed the bracket yet. The TPS is at .977 I believe.

OK, if the ISC is NOT hooked up, you definately need to be pressing on the gas pedal while it's starting and cranking, otherwise your throttle is closed and nothing is going in. (I don't have a ISC and I tickle the throttle quite a bit when starting :lol: )

Also, the TPS setting at .977 is NOT what I'm talking about.

In the MT program, in the "tools" at the top, there a "calibrate TPS" setting.

The ECU needs to know when the throttle is completely closed AND open at WOT. You get a reading with your foot off the gas, then with your foot ALL the way pressed in, then click OK.

Zack 8)

what size injectors are you using?

calculate the settings. it asks

engine size. = 2600 CC

number of cylinders = 4

injector flow = 96 lb/hr OR 1000 cc

Air Fuel Ratio = 14.7

it calculated out to 4.2 for required fuel.

please do not set your car to this setting. i am just wondering how FIP got the 9.6 for required fuel.

If you where MPI then the calculator should be correct. MS is assuming one injector per cylinder so that's why it's giving you a way lower reg fuel number. I did the same thing at first for a minute or two untll I saw it asking for number of cylinders not number of injectors. Basically just double what that calculator tells you on our TBI system. So 9.6-9.8 is a safe starting point.

• 2 weeks later...
Can I get some pics of you guys's VE tables? Thanks guys

Braden

Based on what we talked about last night Braden, I took your files and messaged your VE table a bit. E-mailed the file.

• 2 weeks later...
I still can't get the car to run right....At cold start it will idle for a while...riding around 13 on afr's. Then it will die all by it self.....the light on the computer goes out...no stumble no gurgle no nothing. If the car is idleing warm...with enrichments off.....It will only idle for about 2 secs...then die...will not idle...If I rev it over 3000 rpms It will run around 13 afr's also..it will reve between 3 and 5000 pretty well...keeping decent afr's...but the second it goes below 2500...it dies....it doesn't peak rich or anything either...I've tried leaning and adding fuel....nothing seems to work....Its leading me to believe I have unsolved problems....which niether I or anyone else could seem to figure out... Any input would be appreciated.

you did buy a used system, since you are close to fip i would send it to them to map it, start fresh, you may need to check one wire at a time to make sure there are no breaks. i've seen several of these installed with wires laying on top of the engine and the ecu on the floor.

I still can't get the car to run right....At cold start it will idle for a while...riding around 13 on afr's. Then it will die all by it self.....the light on the computer goes out...no stumble no gurgle no nothing. If the car is idleing warm...with enrichments off.....It will only idle for about 2 secs...then die...will not idle...If I rev it over 3000 rpms It will run around 13 afr's also..it will reve between 3 and 5000 pretty well...keeping decent afr's...but the second it goes below 2500...it dies....it doesn't peak rich or anything either...I've tried leaning and adding fuel....nothing seems to work....Its leading me to believe I have unsolved problems....which niether I or anyone else could seem to figure out... Any input would be appreciated.

I could help you with a lot of these problems, BUT, you have to make sure that it's not wiring or hooking up things wrong issues.........

What you're describing are a bunch of different things that are not adjusted, and you have to deal with them methodically and one at a time, because they affect each other.

I tried to do everything all at once and FU*$&ED everything up........

It took me a few weeks to get all my maps and settings CLOSE to being right.

A LOT depends on the VE table settings, you can see where you're at when you open the VE table while running. WB or NB?

Let's start with your biggest problem, and work your way down................

Cranking PW's are only used for a few seconds while you're cranking, THEN you go into warmup mode, where I wound up adding a lot more than what it comes with, JUST to get it to not to die while cold.

I found the best settings (in afterstart enrichments) (for me, anyway) to be 3.0 priming pulse, 14.0 for cold (-40) PW, and 3.9 for hot (170) PW, then bumping up all the warmup numbers in increments of 8, staring with the 100 (that's there already for 160 degrees)

You NEVER answered about your ISC or if you've calibrated the TPS in Megatune.........

Do you keep your foot on the gas while it's warming up OR hot cranking?

I'll try to post my settings, or if you PM me, I'll e-mail ya my settings.........

Zack

Edited by zactek

The ISC is not hooked up...And I calibrated the tps in Megatune. I guess I need to go over the wiring...The injects and all sensors are reading correctly so thats Why i didn't think it was wiring....but I'll look it over. I want to send it to FIP to have them re map it and start fresh with a good map that the car would actually run on...and they could check the computer out to make sure its good also...but they are impossible to get a hold of need this thing running now....Its supposed to be my DD and its been down since Nov. :character0292: Any ways....Thanks for the reply zactek....my e-mail is brturner....What ever you mind sending I sure would appreciate ....Thanks

The ISC is not hooked up...And I calibrated the tps in Megatune. I guess I need to go over the wiring...The injects and all sensors are reading correctly so thats Why i didn't think it was wiring....but I'll look it over. I want to send it to FIP to have them re map it and start fresh with a good map that the car would actually run on...and they could check the computer out to make sure its good also...but they are impossible to get a hold of need this thing running now....Its supposed to be my DD and its been down since Nov. :character0292: Any ways....Thanks for the reply zactek....my e-mail is brturner....What ever you mind sending I sure would appreciate ....Thanks

BRTURNER what?? AOL? Yahoo?

Also, I think FIP's required fuel setting is too generous,(in the constants section) I have a lot of mods and mine is at 8.6 (4.3 at the top window)

Zack

Edited by zactek