MrH

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Planes... Petrol!
  • Model:Starion

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:11 AM

Hi, first time posting;

Iíve imported a US spec 87 Starion from the US to the UK, having some issues with the necessary conversions, to get the rear lights legal over here. The corner pieces simply need to have orange lenses or be able to flash orange, and not red. Canít seem to source any UK lights either, other than early narrow body versions, which donít really look right.

Has anyone done any upgrade to their rear light clusters? Or is there any aftermarket ones available, that arenít too far off the original ones?

Also, the positive wire that comes to the rear lights, is the brakes and turn signals combined, in one wire... I need two separate wires really, one for brakes and one for signals. Does anyone have an idea, where the brake and turn signals come together, to form this one wire? I need to separate them...

I know a little bit about auto electrics, but Iím no pro, so any advise on how to make my back lights have orange turn signals would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys, looking forward to being a regular on here now 😊

#2 vbrad511

vbrad511

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,419 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 01 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

All bulbs in the tails flash together...there's no separate turn signal bulb. I believe you can find euro-spec tails that'll have the amber corners, but they're pretty rare, and can get costly. As for the wiring, you'll have to get creative. There may be a way to maintain the turn signal circuit in the corner bulb, and tap into the third brake light circuit for the remaining bulbs in each housing. Somebody with a bit of experience will likely chime in.

#3 MrH

MrH

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

Never thought of the third brake light, thatís actually a good call... at least with that, I can solve the braking part.
Really good call!

Well, as you say, the rear lights over here are very unavailable. I refuse to add additional lights to the car and ruin the lines.
Iíve looked at finding very slim led orange flashing lights, to fit between the inner red lenses and outer smoked casing, if that makes sense... itís possibly an option. But thereís literally millimetres to play with!!
But Iíll still need to stop them lighting as brakes as well as flashing...

Might just be a new wiring loom from the steering column to the rear... probably a simple fix if you know what youíre doing 😂

Thank you though vbrad511 youíve set me on a new direction with the brake lights.

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 01 September 2019 - 05:04 PM

When I made a custom body harness for my car last fall I actually wired up the tailights so that the outer bulb is the turn signal and the inner two are brake lights. Basically like the Euro style lights from what I've been told. You can find the wiring schematics in the service manual and modify the wiring to suit your situation if you've got the knowledge.

Posted Image

#5 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 September 2019 - 08:14 PM

Once you figure out the wiring, you can take apart the tails and remove the red inner corner plastic and place an amber/orange led bulb in that socket. A lot of work I know
Posted Image

#6 MrH

MrH

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 12:59 AM

Ah ok cool, thanks guys.

I have yet to remove the whole clusters, but itís going in for a full respray soon, so planned on doing that then. Dissecting them was the last resort but I may have no choice.

So far, I wired up the flashers to the corners, but the brakes are also in the corners now. Iíve got the manuals for it, so I will take a look in there tonight and find that wiring part you mention.

Will keep you posted... Iím just dying to drive the thing, but canít til I have it registered over here!!!

Thank you again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users