T-56 speed conversion kit to be made

Chad

I have succesfuly installed a T56 in my car (though not finnished), and I would like to make kits available as a group purchase, after which kits will still be available, but pricng will go up.  it will have the following in it:

>1 adapter plate, will be 3/8" 6061 aluminum and includes nessesary grade 8 bolts

>1 Pinion flange,  will be made from solid 7075 aluminum (strongest there is), it will allow you to use the spicer 1350 U-joints, this is about as big as you can get in a car, and will handle well over 1000 HP.  this is a common item, easy to find and not too expensive.  It is nessesaty to do this adapter since you will be needing a custom driveline for the GM output shaft on the trans, and you may as well go kick-tail big while you're at it.  Smaller ones would still cost about as much.

>1 flywheel adapter, will be a bolt on shim, it will attach to the face of your flywheel (any brand/size)  turning it into an 11" GM clutch pattern, (stock is >9") and it uses a replaceble fidanza incert.  This assembly is nessesary since the depth of the input shaft is different from stock, and the input splines are larger too.  The shim will add the needed .770 " to the face of the flywheel, and have the GM pattern on the face.  It will be made of 6061 aluminum.  These dimensional changes also mean a new clutch, so you may as well use a common, cheap storng GM clutch. they can be gotten for $300-500+ in HP ranges from 350 to 1000 in streetable form.  The one I will offer in another GP will be a stage 3 which is rated at 680 HP and fully streetable action.  

This is still in the estimate stage and pricing will change as more participate, but this is what you are looking at so far:

~$225 for adapter plate and rear trans support

~$175 for pinion flange for 1350 U-joints, and to use GM drivelines

~$200 for flywheel adapter to use 11" GM clutches

~$600 Kit price

also in seperate GP's there would be :

~$400 11" GM clutches rated at 680 HP, near stock peddal feel

~$500 3 1/2" aluminum driveline rated at 950 HP  :o  using 1350 U-joints

This is how it would work

I need 10 minimum to get this pricing on the kits, 5 minum for the drivelines, and 5 for the clutches.  You could get the kit, but not have to go in on the clutches or drivelines, those can be purchased later, in any brand,  from any vendor, and at whatever price you find.  As long as they are standard GM 11" pull type clutches and the drivelines are the correct length, (I will provide all specs)

To participate, I need $200 down to cover some expences, the ~$400 remainder will be due upon shipment.  Time line will be about 1 month once the kit GP is "officaly" opened.  It will not be opened untill myself and another person (to remain nameless at this point) has run this kit and verified it is 100% ready.

Interested parties are listed below, if you are not on this list but are likely to buy a kit once available, please let me know.  I need atleast 10 actual buyers to make this practical, otherwise the machining costs more than double.  No one wants to make these parts in very small quantities.  I will list 15 spots because "life" happens and usualy a few have to drop out due to financial situations.  Keep in mind, you can buy this kit now at the reduced price, and puckup the other more expensive items later.

1: Greywulf

2: Smog

3: Jr_ss

4: 88Whitestarion

5: ESI-R

6: Xtremeboost

7: SHhhhh

8: 4cylfury

9: mrdodge01

10: 89tsi20g

11: Indiana (1st kit)

12: Indiana (2nd kit)

13: Dan

14: BMWTech

15: turbo26tsi

Picture of stock and T56 side by side:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00697.jpg

picture of the LT-1 bell housig only mounted to block:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00714.jpg

Picture of trans tunnel before hammering it out:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00726.jpg

Picture after hammering:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00728.jpg

Clearance on passenger side:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00730.jpg

Clearance on drivers side:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00731.jpg

overall fitment:

http://www.nwstarquest.com/Dcp00732.jpg

to answer a few frequently asked questions, see following post.

So where do I get a T56?

Ebay, the junk yard, a buddy...  They typicaly sell for $1000 on ebay in good used condition, less if the seller will not ship and you have pick it up.  At a junkyard, the prices vary a great deal, it you are smart and have good yards, you can probably get one for $500 or so.  You can get them brand new for ~$2000, and rebuild kits are about $300.

How many versions are there, and which are compatable?

They came stock in all vipers, any 5.7L camaro/firebird 93-current, Mustang cobras 03-current (I belive) and corvettes 97-current.

Which one do I want?  

The kit is designed for the LT-1 camaro firebird, that is the 93-97 model.  The LS-1 (98-current) is a different bell housing and uses a different clutch/TOB assembly.   You can convert one style to another since they are somewhat modular,a nd different ones have different gear sets, but it ends up costing more piecing one together that way.  Don't even look at the corvette ones, they are not compatable with any other setups.

What is the HP/TQ rating?

It is reported that the TQ rating of the LT-1 is 500 ft/lb (http://ddperformance.com), there are a few models with more capacity, but little is actualy different between them.  This rating is conservitive, and they can be beefed up a great deal if you want to spend the $$.  Go to http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/ and you can get one to handle 900 HP/800 ft/lb  :o

What about the shifter location?

It actualy fits in the stock location  :D  just a little taller

What about the starter?

stock starter, stock location

How much modification is needed to the chassis?

you will need to use a hammer (typical framing hammer) and push the passenger side over about 1/2"  the top of the trans tunnel needs to go up 1/2".  I did this in about 20 minutes with a few breaks inbetween, no damage or visible changes inside.  You are simply flattening some ribbing in the trans tunnel incert, not actual unibody damage.

How about the hydro clutch slave?

It will use the stock clutch master, which opperate the GM style slave via a provided adapter hose.  The GM slave is only $50, and most used trans setups will come with that still attached.  For the price, I just put a new one on mine.

the auto and manual trans tunnels are different, what does this mean for the kit?

The auto tunnel is wider, but I belive they the same height as a manual tunnel,  the top of the tunnel will most liekly need the same amout of hammering, but the sides should clear fine.  the trans bracket will have to be different so it will need to be made clear upon order that you have an auto chassis.

what are the gear ratios? what difference will differntial gear swaps yield??

T-56 ratios          stock ratios     T-56 w/ 3.90       w/ 4.22 gears

1st =  2.66           3.369               2.926                    3.166

2nd = 1.78           2.035               1.958                    2.118

3rd =  1.30           1.360               1.430                    1.547

4th =  1.00           1.000               1.100                    1.190

5th =   .74              .856                 .814                      .88

6th =   .50                                      .55                          .595

What is the weight difference of this swap?

About 50 pounds grand total.

can I use the stock flywheel or do I need a fidanza?

The fidanza and HKS flywheels require no modificatoin.  The stock flywheel MUST be lightened to clear the adapter plate.  The lightening amount is up to you, most get them cut down to 21-23 #'s, as long at the back side is flush with the ring gear.  Cost for this is between $50 and $150 depending on how how shop.

I'll add more as questions get asked...

Damn, sounds like a good deal Chad. Let us know how it all goes. I'll end up blowing my tranny out with the MPI conversion (it's starting to go now as it is). Let us know when we can start sending the money and where it gets sent too. Mustang gears in a Starquest, sweet deal here comes 150 with ease.

Chad one question, what about the slave cyl. setup? Do we use the same style? I'm thinking we are going to have to adapt to a GM style...

Glenn

Wish I had the money :'(

But a question that I'm sure will be asked:  Was the tranny tunnel modification done on a manual tunnel, or a auto tunnel?  If manual, will any modification be needed to run in an auto tunnel?

;) Good job on getting us a reliable tranny alternative (for high power appplications).

Derek

Chris, you may want to use pinion flange in my GP if you have a hard time getting drivelines to hold up.  It will allow you to use any aftermarket 1350 U-joint setup instead of making a frankenstein driveline out of stock parts.  

Same for the clutch shim, if you use a larger than stock bell housing and can fit a larger clutch in there, you may want to go bigger, I'm sure you know by now it's hard to find a good clutch in the 8 3/4" class that we have stock.

I didn't know if this would be a viable project untill I actualy had one mounted in the car.  I wasn't about to offer it up just to find out it woulnd't fit without welding/cutting since most people here won't/can't do that.

Eeaston, I'll get your info posted as soon as I get a reliable source.

I've updated the origional post with a potential buyers list, If you decide you want out, just let mem know, there are not obligations what-so-ever untill the GP is officaly started, some time in the next month or so.  If you are not on this list but are likely to buy a kit once available, please let me know.  I need atleast 10 actual buyers to make this practical, otherwise the machining costs more than double.  No one wants to make these parts in very small quantities.  I will list 15 spots because "life" happens and usualy a few have to drop out due to financial situations.  Keep in mind, you can buy this kit now at the reduced price, and puckup the other more expensive items later.

We'll need more interest for this or it won't happen...   I'll still make one for myself and the guy helping me prototype, but that will be it.  

If you are siting on the fence just watching but are interested, say something.  If you know someone else that isn't a regular club member but would be interested, get them in touch with me or this site somehow.

I need to emphasize that you do NOT have to drop $2000+ now, concider the the benifit of buying the $600 kit now, and getting the transmission, driveline, and clutch later.  Think of it as an investment in your cars future.  See is as a 2-3 step process, much like a MPI conversion is.

The supply of 88-89 transmissions wont last for ever and neither will the parts. With people starting to make the numbers they are now, and the seeming limit of 425 TQ which is getting easier and easier to get, people should make plans for one those two reasons to convert.

A good friend of mine just spent nealry $1000 on a "race built" 88/89 with cryo treated gears and all,  It was rated at 650 HP and 1 year warranty, it lasted 2 months with only ~325 HP and ~410 TQ at the wheels.  The T56 is rated for more than that from the factory, and designed for a heavier car too.  It can easily be upgraded tremendously, and repaired cheaply.   Plus the T56's parts availability, there are 10x's as many T56's and lots of parts makers, aftermarket and OEM.   10 years from now this will still be ture.  

Where will you buy tans parts for your stock 5 spd. 10 years from now?

wow. nice project. i will most likely be interested in the near future but at this time I am a little short on cash.

as for the tranny. the corvettes have completely different trannies. but I have seen the the ones from the camaros go for about $300 at the local junk yards.

the ones from the viper are rated for even higher torque but i doubt anyone will be able to put a dent in any camaro T56. those things are smooth and bullet proof.

Hey chad, if you wantm you can email the pictures to me, and I can host them on my webserver so everyone can see them, without having to deal with geocities bandwidth limit, that can get set off very quickly, like it is right now  :-/

Oh yean, my email address is smogshaun@yahoo.com