NEED HELP!

cachaco736

Hi to all!

I have a stock 89 quest. Recently been having some overheating problems due to ????. Radiator has been cleaned and repaired by a radiator shop, hoses are new, has no thermostat... dunno what to say. Its been having this problem for some time now. I fill the radiator up with coolant, and I run it for +- 20 miles and next day water/coolant needs to be added... id say 1/3 of a gallon. Maybe a leak? maybe gaskets are bad, I dont know.

I checked the water flow with the radiator cap off, its now flowing smoothly, it bubbles up... maybe the water pump?.

Please leave me suggestions, comments, anything. Will appreciate anything :) Thnx

You must run with a thermostat, that is a regulator and the water is flowing way too fast and has no time to cool down in the radiator where its supposed to. That's good the radiator was cleaned and as long as the pump is turning and the impellor isn't rotted off from not using coolant over previous years.

You must use coolant you can't just use water. Water only your motor rots from the inside out and quickly too and it doesn't cool the same and it boils at lower temperatures. Boiling water is expanding and not the same. Steam won't cool the motor either after some escapes and there's less water in the system. Same happens when using coolant too its just safer and won't corrode the block and head and intake and turbo, its just rots everything not running coolant.

If the cap is leaking, its leaking out pressure, that pressure is what is letting the coolant work with that pressure to raise the boiling point and keep the coolant in the system.

If your exhaust is plugged up it will run hot.

If your ignition timing is too far advanced it will run hot.

If your fuel mix is too lean it will run hot.

If the terminals of the MAF connector in the harness are loose and not making connection it can make the car run lean, which means it will run hot. Look in the end of the connector you can see the terminals are folded tin and the ends meet, use a pick and tighten all those up some so they grab the terminals in the MAF when you plug it back in.

If that's not helpful, what else is going on with this car and what was done to it from a stock setup?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just changed the water pump, old one had 5+ years on it, and also added a thermostat... Ran the car for 10 mins and temp gauge stayed in middle. When I got back home I opened the hood and it was supppeeer hot underneath, couldn't even touch the upper radiator hose. Head Gasket?... another problem Came up also... the voltage gauge was off the charts ... only electrical thing i did was connect the oxygen sensor, since the cables had disconnected cuz the heat (or maybe to much voltage burnt the wires)...

PS: does anyone have an actual pic of how to install the thermostat? I looked in the manual but its confusing lol... doesn't make sense...

Thnx

If its your head gasket: does your oil have a chocolate milk shake look? is the coolant boiling in the radiator?. The thermostat goes spring side into the engine. Is the lower hose hot or cold or warm? If the upper hose is hot then u installed the thermostat correctly. does the fan work?

Well, I just changed the water pump, old one had 5+ years on it, and also added a thermostat... Ran the car for 10 mins and temp gauge stayed in middle. When I got back home I opened the hood and it was supppeeer hot underneath, couldn't even touch the upper radiator hose. Head Gasket?... another problem Came up also... the voltage gauge was off the charts ... only electrical thing i did was connect the oxygen sensor, since the cables had disconnected cuz the heat (or maybe to much voltage burnt the wires)...

PS: does anyone have an actual pic of how to install the thermostat? I looked in the manual but its confusing lol... doesn't make sense...

Thnx

Oil is normal color, fans are working, I even have the secondary fan running directly, I just feel it to hot compared to 4 months back. Ill run the car again and touch the lower radiator hose and let u know.

Any ideas why my voltage is so high?

Alternator is overcharging. This thread has a pic as to how the thermostat goes: http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=2599&start=75

If its your head gasket: does your oil have a chocolate milk shake look? is the coolant boiling in the radiator?. The thermostat goes spring side into the engine. Is the lower hose hot or cold or warm? If the upper hose is hot then u installed the thermostat correctly. does the fan work?

Left the car running for 15 mins and revved it a bit... Touched upper hose, was hot.. touched lower hose, was warm/hot, id say almost same as upper hose... (I took the radiator to a radiator shop to have it cleaned not more then month ago) :/.. i swear ima sell my car soon if problems persist :(

wait, the temp gauge is reading normal, but because a hot object feels hot you think its overheating?

your not overheating if the tempo gauge is reading normal

your loosing coolant else where, weither it be throttle body gasket, a hose, or the heatercore

get coolant pressure tester at autozone or the like, pressurize coolant and look for leaks. Have you replaced every coolant line? they are only old enough to drink if they are the OEM ones.. there are 8 in the engine bay I can think of off the top of my head..

get coolant pressure tester at autozone or the like, pressurize coolant and look for leaks. Have you replaced every coolant line? they are only old enough to drink if they are the OEM ones.. there are 8 in the engine bay I can think of off the top of my head..

2 heater hoses, 2 turbo feed/return, 1 behind waterpump, 2 radiator

though i think you are right, i think there is 8, i swear i seen another

it would be 9 including the one on the heater core in the car

wait, the temp gauge is reading normal, but because a hot object feels hot you think its overheating?

your not overheating if the tempo gauge is reading normal

your loosing coolant else where, weither it be throttle body gasket, a hose, or the heatercore

Temp gauge is reading normal, but I can feel alot of heat on my feet while im driving... that never used to happen (thats when i drive it for long distances) and when I touch the oxygen sensor cable it literally burns, i replaced it cuz it had melted...(never use to happen either)... so I still assume its overheating regardless of the temp gauge... dunno lol

Heat blowing on your feet may be one of the hoses on the actuators under the dash came off and that will let it move to the floor since it needs some vacuum to change it. Look on the passenger side under the dash by the console.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/hvacvac.jpg

Are you still having to add coolant? Sure it wasn't just air in the system after you changed those hoses and the thermostat?

That 02 wire, yes it gets hot from the exhaust and its just laying on top of it.

Heat blowing on your feet may be one of the hoses on the actuators under the dash came off and that will let it move to the floor since it needs some vacuum to change it. Look on the passenger side under the dash by the console.

Are you still having to add coolant? Sure it wasn't just air in the system after you changed those hoses and the thermostat?

That 02 wire, yes it gets hot from the exhaust and its just laying on top of it.

another scenario, if his heatercore is leaking (the core not hose) it rots out that paper screen that blocks the foot heater. mine was rotted out thats why i always had hot feet

which would explain the hot feet and loosing coolant

Ya, living where it freezes and not using antifreeze will do that. You'd be surprised how many cars I've seen that were using water or mostly water I just drain them or put in antifreeze so that won't happen. Could have been from anyone in the past.

I think I know what it is... Last mechanic who worked on my car used that "gun tool" to check damper speed (please let me know the name of that tool) and if im not mistaken said it was to slow and moved something on the distributor cap to speed it up. Prolly why its overheating and why the alternator is overcharging!???.. yes/no?

Friend of mine told me it should mark 10 on the gun, thats normal stock speed.

"uuzaaaa"... i need patience..., seems like the alternator isnt workin, it over charged my battery, and now I have a break fluid leak... lol, all for changing the water pump... 1st things 1st tho, gona lower the base timing to 10... then work my way up from there. Im pissed lol