#21 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

View PostTexasQuest, on 20 May 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

Yes you can. The housing will have to be machined for a 16g

The 16g housing that comes with the wheel wouldn't take care of that? Leaving me with the td05 exhaust that bolts to my dp and genuine 16g compressor.

#22 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Unless you mean the chra side will need to be machined?

#23 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

View PostJoeyLeet2, on 21 May 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

If you send a 12a or 14b out to be upgraded the CHRA housing is machined to accept what they call a "super back" wheel. There is a lip on the back side of a 16g wheel and the 12a/14b wheels are flat backs.

I wouldn't recommend rebuilding a turbo yourself or trying to swap a new wheel into it. Turbo's require balancing and they spin a 100k rpm so having a properly balanced turbo is key to longevity. GPop Shop did an excellent upgrade and rebuild on mine. Turn around time was about 3 weeks.

#24 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

View PostJoeyLeet2, on 21 May 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Yes that's what I mean.

88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#25 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

Turbolabs quoted me $700 to get my 12a turned into a 16g lol.

#26 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

View PostJoeyLeet2, on 24 May 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Turbolabs quoted me $700 to get my 12a turned into a 16g lol.

What's funny about that? Seems like a reasonable price. I paid 950 to GPop Shop for them to upgrade my 14b to a 16g with all the other upgrades that could be done to it. Was an awesome turbo that was very responsive.

#27 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

A kinugawa 16g is less money, brand new/leaves you with stock backup, and a downtime of how long it takes you to switch a turbo.

Just frustrating that it's essentially a 400 machining, that people in this thread are claiming should cost less than 100.

Googling shows the DSM forums claim mhi turbos are balanced by piece, so any assembly you come up with will be balanced. Any truth to that?

#28 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:34 AM

how did u get in contact with turbolab ?

where is this sub $700 brand new starion 16g ?

if folks are telling you you can get your compressor & turbine housings machined, as well as disassemble your turbo to machine the chra for the recommended upgrade thrust & different style wheel back for, all for $100.... then simply ask them for the source
12A is dated design. You don't just slap together an upgrade with newer components. Better off starting with a worn 16g

a good example of diy billet 20g build. He worked with turbolab AND sweated the details. 538hp @30+ psi
https://www.evolutio...urbo-build.html

#29 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:42 AM

Couple of years back l bored out  2 stockers and rebuilt them w tdo5h shaft 9 blade and 16 g (small) wheels. First one l built is still in my 89 today w no issues. 2nd one l built lasted  for 20 min before it sounded like dentist drill and bearings where shot. Didnt balance them so it's a hit or miss when it comes to already balanced parts. Also you are bolting things on so any overtorqe or out of line assembly will have effect on balance. Balancing is a must after assembly for any turbo. Parts l used to build them where all individually balanced from factory. So basically my 2nd turbo was a big waste of machining time and $200 worth of parts. In other words  machining of hot and cold side is easy and you are making sure there is proper clearance for the wheels to spin.The cartridge itself that houses the shaft bearings thrust washer and seals  is where it is critical that all fits perfect and in tolerances. Also  cartridge bores have to be smooth straight and free of scratches especially non circular lines so that things will seal and bearings will float in oil properly. Pain in the rear even for someone like me w 25+ years of machining experience  if you dont have all the right equipment. If they can do one for you for 700  l would go for it.
This could be done a little nicer w plumbing and all but once it's set up you could have turbos available that if ever again needed.

Check it out.

https://youtu.be/EJQLwOGAl3E

also  check this out on my 87 mpi.  I ran this on tbi also w larger injectors and translator. Warning though  this turbo puts out serious volume of air that must be used in controlled fashion  lol

t3/T4  Turbonetics https://imgur.com/a/KbaGT2u

Edited by croquest87, 25 May 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#30 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:25 AM

View PostJoeyLeet2, on 24 May 2019 - 08:32 PM, said:

A kinugawa 16g is less money, brand new/leaves you with stock backup, and a downtime of how long it takes you to switch a turbo.

Just frustrating that it's essentially a 400 machining, that people in this thread are claiming should cost less than 100.

Googling shows the DSM forums claim mhi turbos are balanced by piece, so any assembly you come up with will be balanced. Any truth to that?

You would trust a EBay Chineseum turbo VS a OE turbo sent out and upgraded by a reputable company? Be realistic dude. You get what you pay for but you never get what you dont pay for. Meaning sure the EBay turbo could work for a while or it could last a few hours. EBay turbos are hit or miss.

Cheap parts can lead to expensive repairs.

Edited by Turbo Cary, 25 May 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#31 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

Kinugawa has become a pretty proven brand nowadays, you can even search on these very forums. But don't worry, I get what you're saying.

#32 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

ebay turbos on quite a few starquests and other makes.
In the long evoIII 16g thread on dsmtuners, I can recall the fastest being a galant vr4, china @32psi - lol
Could turn out better, running a new china td05h/16g chra in your machined starquest housings vs a sketchy rebuild/upgrade

#33 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

China turbos have improved big time over the past 10-15 years. There are many good reviews and quality in detail all over the place. Not saying better or worse from Mitsu turbos. My friend has been running one on his 89 for at least 5 years 15+ psi all day long  w no issues of any kind.I think he paid like $180 for it. Just have to do some research on what brand to get. Many China factories make them in original molds purchased or copied from Japanese companies. As far as cheap price and all  well we all know that no place in the world can make it that cheap due to the amount of labor and tech available to make them. I wouldn't be surprised that most of the new turbos produced today are made in China branded w who ever sells it logo.  Like Polaris ATV s   all parts produced in China assembly done here or in Canada w Polaris stamped all over.

#34 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

TurboLab charged me $550 to turn a stock 12a into a 06SL2-20G.  3 weeks turnaround.

Crazy good price and quality work.  He made a video of my turbo before he sent it back to me.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=9yWrVfZxUgA

Edited by Preludedude, 25 May 2019 - 09:38 PM.

#35 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:34 AM

View PostPreludedude, on 25 May 2019 - 09:06 PM, said:

TurboLab charged me $550 to turn a stock 12a into a 06SL2-20G.  3 weeks turnaround.

Crazy good price and quality work.  He made a video of my turbo before he sent it back to me.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=9yWrVfZxUgA
Super nice .

#36 JoeyLeet2

JoeyLeet2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Two days ago they said it's $700 for a td05h-16g conversion. I would pay $550 but 700 seems extreme.

#37 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostJoeyLeet2, on 26 May 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Two days ago they said it's $700 for a td05h-16g conversion. I would pay $550 but 700 seems extreme.
Expensive  but totally worth it.Its the machining and parts plus assembly and balance that add up. Just bolt on and go. These guys have good reputation for sure.

#38 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:15 PM

turbolab popularity hinged on low price, quality work, parts & tech. You don't get that combination anywhere

20G sold $1000-1300 like forever, depending on the flavour... and that's with mhi cast compressor wheel
these new billet/hybrid '20G's kick up performance a notch
I suspect chinese parts from a upper tier oem level source. Turbolab profit still couldn't be that much
Maybe they 'adjusted'.... or we getting a taste of "tarrifs"? - lol

Complete brand new genuine evoIII 16Gs evaporated @ $460 - 550, back in the day.
Far better leaner lighter exhaust housing, plus wastegate actuator included
Ya, I wouldn't go more than $500 for a 16.... other options to consider

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users