Boosting problem

Starwolf

Well it hasnt happend for very long now and nothing out of the usual has changed. Long story short my car is running super rich under boost. Around 9-9.5 under boost and buck and pop and lose all power. I found out today that i can slowly get on it and it went to 9 flat and bucked a little then slowly climbed up to 11 afr and ran great at higher rpm. Second time i tried this it did not buck at all if i slowly build boost in third gear. I am still using stock mas...and 12a turbo.

I am running about 12-16psi and no matter what boost i am at it seems to do the same thing. Fuel pressure is around 36-38 at idle.

I am sure i am forgetting something but im up to all opinions.

I am thinking right now that its either the secondary injector or maybe TPS if it can affect AFR? I have no error codes and i just replaced my CTS thinking it would fix that.

At cruise sometimes it is correctly at 14.7ish but other times randomly its around 11 flat at cruise. Idle is also fairly rich (well below 13afr)

I checked to see if my primary injector was leaking and i never saw any drips.

Also im using bur7ea-11 plugs at the oem gap which i think is like .41-.44? I was told to try .32 but even then it shouldnt be my problem correct?

Two more things...the bucking is not my vac advance because it holds vacuum and it isnt my fuel pressure regulator because it also holds vacuum if that even proves they are okay

I do need help on this as i cant really boost much over 5psi and hold it. Its getting hard to pass people or ride in a bucking retarded car lol

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it hasnt happend for very long now and nothing out of the usual has changed. Long story short my car is running super rich under boost. Around 9-9.5 under boost and buck and pop and lose all power. I found out today that i can slowly get on it and it went to 9 flat and bucked a little then slowly climbed up to 11 afr and ran great at higher rpm. Second time i tried this it did not buck at all if i slowly build boost in third gear. I am still using stock mas...and 12a turbo.

I am running about 12-16psi and no matter what boost i am at it seems to do the same thing. Fuel pressure is around 36-38 at idle.

I am sure i am forgetting something but im up to all opinions.

I am thinking right now that its either the secondary injector or maybe TPS if it can affect AFR? I have no error codes and i just replaced my CTS thinking it would fix that.

At cruise sometimes it is correctly at 14.7ish but other times randomly its around 11 flat at cruise. Idle is also fairly rich (well below 13afr)

I checked to see if my primary injector was leaking and i never saw any drips.

Also im using bur7ea-11 plugs at the oem gap which i think is like .41-.44? I was told to try .32 but even then it shouldnt be my problem correct?

Two more things...the bucking is not my vac advance because it holds vacuum and it isnt my fuel pressure regulator because it also holds vacuum if that even proves they are okay

I do need help on this as i cant really boost much over 5psi and hold it. Its getting hard to pass people or ride in a bucking retarded car lol

Thanks in advance!

Your secondary injector kicks in at appox. 2500 rpms. I had a similar problem at 3000 rpms with my car. My Wideband read 10 afr. Turned out to be a stuck open secondary.

CALIBER 308

Thanks Caliber...havent seen you around here in a while.

I thought secondary kicks in at 3k but that would make sense. How can you test the secondary?

A better question would be....anyone know a website or someone to buy two good injectors that work like stock? I can buy some tonight if there are some new delphi's that wont change anything and work well....would make for a good time to change all fuel filters and clean gas tank :D

I thought secondary kicks in at 3k but that would make sense. How can you test the secondary?

A better question would be....anyone know a website or someone to buy two good injectors that work like stock? I can buy some tonight if there are some new delphi's that wont change anything and work well....would make for a good time to change all fuel filters and clean gas tank :D

http://www.fuelinjectorconnection.com Hit search and type in Starion injectors or call them at 1-770-842-0882 and ask for Jon Banner. Sorry about the double post.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

I had no idea there was a member from Harrison on here!

We are going to have to have an Arkansas meet sometime...we have quite a few members now

Again thanks caliber! Ill see if i can order some tonight

lemme know if that fixes ur car my injectors doesn't leak but they are the original ones. Yeah I just got another quest a few months back. had do go to kansas city to get it tho. I lost my last one in a house fire. where are you located at? I would love a ar meet also.

I have seen one other quest in mountain home and an older couple was drivin it acually. They are like a unicorn around these areas.

Also I did buy my CTS from auto zone and i have heard things...

If my cts is unplugged and motor is cold it will be hard to start and idles like complete crap. If it warms up though...and i unplug the cts...nothing changes at all.

Does this sound normal or do i have a problem there? I have no error codes when the car is fully warmed up.

Also any notes on changing plug gap to around .32 for the bur7ea-11 spark plugs?

LOL maybe that would be two for mountain home...but i know Outlander on the boards is from mountain home...he has a red quest.

I live near the Fort Smith area...and i know a guy in the Fayetteville area and Van Buren. Also 2 more owned by my girlfriend and her cousin.

So I have tested a few things on the car and ruled some things out. A cts tested fine when the car was warm and when the car was cold. I am about to replace my secondary injector thinking this MIGHT be the problem. Also going to change my plug gap a little smaller.

When i boost much above 5psi...and hammer it the car just completely cuts out and backfires quickly...like not one loud buck but a pow pow pow pow quickly. Im just lost...i rebuilt my distributor lately and figure i am going to pull it apart again and check everything...it was running fine around 2 weeks ago and just started to do this.

Yeah i was about to but another local member let me borrow his old stock injectors so im going to try them

It just seems weird to be just the secondary injector...maybe i could be wrong. I will know later today

good luck. I'm working all my bugs out finally...dude had the car timed at 0tdc and I set her back at 10btdc and it idles so wonderfully now. Havnt driven it yet but I hope it runns better too!!

LOL Yeah from 0 to 10...you will notice a difference :P

Btw i solved the problem. Thanks to a local member near me he gave me an extra set of injectors and sure enough it was one of them leaking horribly...i could barely make it up a hill coming home today. Was running 10 flat without boost...any boost at all and car would surge...

Back to feeling great now...other than what sounds like a slight miss at higher rpm. Im thinking plug gap

Im using bur7ea-11's and i think they come pregapped at .41....anyone have any ideas? I was thinking around .32-.35 and see if it likes it.

LOL Yeah from 0 to 10...you will notice a difference :P

Btw i solved the problem. Thanks to a local member near me he gave me an extra set of injectors and sure enough it was one of them leaking horribly.

Secondary injector ?

CALIBER 308

spending $30 to send them out to get cleaned may not be a bad idea.

You can give your opinion any time you wish to. On the other hand, I try to inform members from my experiences for 20 years with these cars of what I think is wrong and try to steer them in the right direction. P.S. I had my Stock injectors sent out in 2006 to be cleaned from a highly recommended shop, flow tested just fine (568cc on the Primary and 1024cc on the Secondary) after the cleaning. Put them back on the car and 2 months later.....Readings on my Wideband at 3000 rpms were:10 AFR. Leaking Secondary! That is why I suggested that Starwolf buy new ones.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

ok thats your personal experience.

mine were sent to witchhuter to be cleaned and have performed flawless for over 2yrs now running 20psi, thats my personal experience.

my personal experience with these claimed "awsome" delphi injectors is yea they work ok, but perform no where near as good as a good working stock injector.

ok thats your personal experience.

mine were sent to witchhuter to be cleaned and have performed flawless for over 2yrs now running 20psi, thats my personal experience.

my personal experience with these claimed "awsome" delphi injectors is yea they work ok, but perform no where near as good as a good working stock injector.

If you are still using the stock injector set up....You can't comment on the aftermarket Delphis. I have been running them in my car for 4 years now, can you make the same claim? Performance on the Aftermarket Delphis?? I have had INCREASED trouble free performance from my 950/1180 injector set up. And just so the newer members know this information,to replace your old Factory injectors with new Factory injectors cost appox. $600.00 to $700.00 a piece!!!!! My cost on a NEW Delphi injector set up (because I dealt with the owner of http://fuelinjectorconnection.com directly)..$180.00 for a 950/1180 injector set up.P.S.: I also used http://www.witchhunter.com for my injector cleaning in 2006.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

i have personally ran delphi injectors before yes, and they dont perform as well as a good working stock injector setup.

i am not sure why you constantly think everyone but yourself just fell off the wagon yesterday.

can i see this dyno sheet that proves this gains you claim? didnt think so.

i have personally ran delphi injectors before yes, and they dont perform as well as a good working stock injector setup.

For how many years?......Or months, weeks or days. I won't give the members here bad advice. Never have, and never will. Correct me if i'm wrong. But didn't you suggest that Starwolf to go to http://SQPerformance.com on post no.11 in this thread to buy injectors??? If you feel like the Aftermarket injectors don't perform as well as the stock ones do.................Why suggest them????????????????

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

because i know starwolf personally and i know what his budget does and doesnt allow and stock replacement isnt in his budget. will they work, yes i already stated that. will delphi injectors work better the faulty stock ones yes, and thats why i suggested them as a second sorce to purchase them so he wasnt limited to just one option.

my account of use of delphi injectors was on my 85 flatty with perfectly fine working injectors. i had another 86 technica that needed injectors and i bought replacement delphis for $55 a peice (110 total) and that car was parted due to rust so i had the delphi inhjectors laying around. so while i had two sets of good working injectors i swapped them back and forth several times compairing the two, now like YOU i have NO PROOF other then what i experienced first hand. with the stock injectors the car ran and performed perfect, with the delphi injectors idle as choppy and power was not a smooth thru rpms and there was a knoticable difference in the cars overall performance.

the dephi injectors use a different spray pattern and if you research them are recommended to run a higher idle fuel pressure then the stock 36-38 that a stock quest uses. now with a adjustable fuel pressure regulator to tune fuel, and a maft to also tune then yes the delphis could become potential good performing injectors if you can tune the car around them. starwolf has none of these tuning abilities with his car so for my experiences he will be happier with a good working stock replacement injector for his faulty secondary.

your sitting there sticking your chest out about all the sound advice you give memebers, is this about how great you are or is this about starwolf being able to get his car up and running on a limited budget?

myself and countless other members have had success with cleaning stock injectors, in your case it happen to not work out for you. all i did was suggest that if they are working it wouldnt hurt to have them cleaned for $30 to keep them in good working order are, and we are now on PAGE 2 of your arguement. :rolleyes: imagine that.

Do you have a problem with me posting creditable help to members? Or is it just that you don't like a long term owner of these cars proving you wrong? You can make all the excuses you want. I'm here to help the members, you on the other hand try to discredit my advice every chance you get. Ever since I started posting again on SQC, you have tried to discredit my advice along with others here. I don't like you, and you don't like me. That is where it should stop. Why subject members on this site to our dislike of each other? If you wish to continue this, P.M. me.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

your sitting there sticking your chest out about all the sound advice you give memebers, is this about how great you are or is this about starwolf being able to get his car up and running on a limited budget?

Your the one that suggested http://www.SQPerformance.com for the injectors, not me. If you know Starwolf like you say you do, and knew he didn't have the money for aftermarket injectors....Why even post about them like you did in post no.11 on this thread? You did it, not me. Personally, I think your trying to cover your tracks....At my expense. Prior to your posting on reply no. 11. Did I, or any other member see you post about Stock injectors being better than aftermarket ones. You started saying that cleaning stock injectors was the way to go. I disagreed, and suggested that aftermarket Delphis were a better choice. That is when you decided to turn this from a help post into a personal attack on my advice.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

you can get injectors here also.

http://sqperformance.forumcity.com/viewtopic.php?t=89

cant you try the injectors outta nancys car just to verify it is or isnt your injectors.

lets analize post #11 for you.

1. "you can get injectors here also" i at no point said mike you should buy injectors, i only offered him another option.

2. " cant you try the injectors outta nancys car just to verify it is or isnt your injectors." ... this is my real suggestion to starwolf in the post, that he spend no money and first try another pair of injectors.

now mike already had a set of injectors so he tried those instead and cured part of the problem but not all of it. so i make another suggestion to starwolf to spend a whole $30 and get them cleaned because mine were cleaned and have had great success.

then you go off the handle after that pretty much. you may want to go back and read it again cause i think your lost because at no where in any post i have did i make a personal attack on anything.

now if your done kicking and stomping your feet around maybe we can go back to mikes problem. :rolleyes:

i still stand with my thoughts that he should have them sent and cleaned, if they are bad after the cleaning then they would have soon failed on him anyways so for $30 he saved being stuck on the side of the road. if those injectors come back bad then i have a couple injectors candi pulled from CJs 86 that were 87 injectors and wont work for her car. i dont normally come off injectors but if those dont work out for him then i would probably let him have these to see if they would work for him.

or i can sit here and argue more, i am up in the air about it right now.