For guys with manual seat belt cars ... is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

Riding around today in the new car, I noticed I couldn't make the belts lock up. I did a couple of halfhearted quick stops, nothing. Did some test pulls on the belts, can't make it lock up that way either.

I called Josh, who did the conversion on this car. His other car also has manual belts that someone else installed. He went to his car, jerked on the belts awhile and couldn't make them lock up either.

I find it hard to believe four total belts on two cars with conversions done by two different people would all break. So I'm thinking I'm missing something here. Most modern belts can be easily checked with a "jerk test," but neither of thsese cars seem to respond to that. I don't mess around with safety equipment, so I'd like to know if something is really wrong or it's just my testing methods.

Jess
Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6 (for sale)
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 T-Harps

T-Harps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

I was never able to do the jerk test on my manual belts and cant do it on my electric belts either

#3 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

Just now seeing this so I won't be able to respond about the jerk test until later this evening.
The manual belts do lock up if they are at an angle.  I thought I had purchased faulty belts before because I couldn't get them to pull out.  I then mounted them in the door and the angle they sat at allowed the release lever to function properly and the belts to un-spool.  I assume this means that when you are in a high-G accident the belts will probably lock up, but not sure if just pulling them fast is what is required to do that.
Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL(ow)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)

#4 '87quest

'87quest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Not sure about the manual belts but if it helps the only time I've ever felt my auto belts lock up is while drifting/doing donuts.

Posted Image

#5 JessN16

JessN16

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:48 PM

EricSQ, on 29 August 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Just now seeing this so I won't be able to respond about the jerk test until later this evening.
The manual belts do lock up if they are at an angle.  I thought I had purchased faulty belts before because I couldn't get them to pull out.  I then mounted them in the door and the angle they sat at allowed the release lever to function properly and the belts to un-spool.  I assume this means that when you are in a high-G accident the belts will probably lock up, but not sure if just pulling them fast is what is required to do that.

Mine aren't locked now -- they seem to work fine in regards to extract/retract -- the issue is I couldn't get them to lock up via the jerk test. They are manual belts; like everyone else, i was never able to get the auto belts in my other car to lock, but they would lock on abrupt stops. But I have never seen a manual belt I couldn't get to lock on demand via the jerk test, until now.

Jess
Current denizens of the garage:
'88 Conquest TSi
'10 Jaguar XF Premium Portfolio
'89 Jaguar XJS V12
'87 Jaguar XJ6 (for sale)
---
In the rearview mirror:
'87 Starion (black), '88 Conquest TSi (black), '88 Conquest TSi (Durban), '88 Jaguar XJS V12, '76 Jaguar XJ12L, '88 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, '99 Jaguar XJ8, '98 Jaguar XK8, '03 Jaguar S-Type, '85 Jaguar XJ6 '88 Galant Sigma, '90 Ford Taurus SHO, '75 Bricklin SV-1, '97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 EricSQ

EricSQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

I finally got around to checking mine yesterday.  They do not lock by just pulling them hard/fast.
Posted Image
1988 Chrysler Conquest Tsi (sold)____1986 Mitsubishi Starion LS Swap
1987 Mitsubishi Starion (sold)_______1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL(ow)
2015 Subaru WRX (sold)___________2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
2005 Subaru Baja Turbo (sold)

#7 mikec

mikec

not around much any more

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,296 posts
  • Interests:Finish line at the Pikes Peak "Race to the Clouds"

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:04 AM

Some seat belt designs have a spring-loaded mass that "flys outward" or otherwise moves in response to the seat belt spool turning... when the spool moves fast those parts move enough to snag sprockets/teeth and that locks the spool.  Other designs use a small pendulum... under normal driving or with the car parked it just hangs down.  Under sharp deceleration though it swings and that's what locks the spool.  The jerk test won't do anything with this design.

For pendulum designs, tug on the seat belt while hitting the brakes from moderate speed.

mike c.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users